Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
ZBlobXxX
ZBlobXxX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350-900
KindleDX vs Kindle 3..

I'm a bit lost.
I understand KindleDX has some firmware limitation, a worst browser, no highlights.
There is any other minor?

The quality of e-ink as display is the same or are 2 different genarations?
Graphite is not Pearl?
ZBlobXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
2.5+ firmware have highlighting, I think. Only the browser is the old one.

Yes, DXG is a real Pearl displays. Not VizPlex as in Kindles 1 and 2 (but there are some speculations that Kindle 2 International uses improved VizPlex although it is not a Pearl).
For a Pearl in the DX i found here http://news.softpedia.com/news/Amazo...y-146026.shtml - I cannot prove this because I have Kindle 2 International 3G.

If you can afford the price - get DXG, I was somewhat limited with resources (there is still a crisis in Bulgaria) so that is why I got a used Kindle 2 on eBay. My dreams is DXG. I am going to save up for a DX(G) - maybe for the Easter of 2011.

Last edited by enkov; 11-16-2010 at 08:15 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
ZBlobXxX

Probably I'll follow you, waiting for better prices.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can highlight books using the DXG but you cannot highlight PDFs.

I love my DXG but the more I am using it at home the more I realize I want to compliment it with a K3 for travel.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
ZBlobXxX

Yeah, main idea is have a prs-350 for everyday use, and a largerone for pdf/scientific papers. No highlights in pdf means no highlights in the only place I usually need highlights.

But it is possible at least to read in landscape mode? I saw that a 9,7" is still smaller than A4, and usually scientific paper have so small types.....

D00611 what stays for? Which version is it? Grapthite or a previous?
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's the previous model.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony prs-505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlobXxX View Post
Yeah, main idea is have a prs-350 for everyday use, and a largerone for pdf/scientific papers. No highlights in pdf means no highlights in the only place I usually need highlights.

But it is possible at least to read in landscape mode? I saw that a 9,7" is still smaller than A4, and usually scientific paper have so small types.....

Sure, you can read pfds in landscape mode. I personally never use landscape method anyway cause it was fine in portrait for all textbooks that i've read.

As others said, DXG has Pearl display. Compared to K3, it's lacking highlighting in PDFs, and when reading MOBI 2 additional fonts + line spacing option. It also doesn't have Webkit-based browser. That's all features that i actually miss on DXG compared to K3. Maybe there are some other minor things.

Regardless, DXG murders K3 in reading PDF textbooks

Last edited by Soulcatcher; 11-16-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Unless you really need to read PDFs, I'd go with the K3. It's lighter & easier to hold, faster, better screen. Since I got my K3, I've almost never touched my DX, except to read the rare PDF (they do translate better on the bigger DX screen).
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony prs-505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Unless you really need to read PDFs, I'd go with the K3. It's lighter & easier to hold, faster, better screen. Since I got my K3, I've almost never touched my DX, except to read the rare PDF (they do translate better on the bigger DX screen).
We are talking about DXG here - K3 has exactly the same screen as DXG.
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
AFAIK, both the K3 and the DXG have the same Pearl screens (they look exactly the same

I personally enjoy reading regular books much more on the larger screen. It has more of a real page feel and it is more immersible to me.

The 6" screen feels a little like looking through a keyhole and the need to refresh much more frequently takes away from the please of reading a bit.

But, to each their own. I personally used to buy mostly hardcovers, while others are happy with mass market A Format paperbacks.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlobXxX View Post

A DXG for scientific papers is my wish too. But I'm holding off until it can do cross document search on pdfs (for example, search all PDFs for words "RNA Polymerase" and show list of documents in order of how many times they use "RNA Polymerase." The way it does now for .mobi and .azw books.)

Once it can do *that* it will be ready for prime time!

However, regarding K3 and pdfs,--I have a K2 which is the same size, and I can read scientific pdfs in landscape mode. It is a little awkward, since it only shows about 40% of the page at a time, and on the K2 you can't scroll (though I understand on the K3 you can) but it's useable. Just so you know.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I love my DXG but the more I am using it at home the more I realize I want to compliment it with a K3 for travel.
Right now, I'm on the road. As an experiment, I have left my ipad at home, and have only my DX. (Well, okay, I also have a Sony 300 just in case...) (Okay, I also have my iphone.) (And it turns out there's a computer in the hotel room.) (I didn't know, honest...)

Even at home, I prefer reading on my DX to my Sonys or my iPad. I have my DX set up to get my Instapaper articles, and most of my ebooks are from Amazon, or free, so I do a good deal of book reading on the DX and none on my ipad.

I'd say that the DX is perfect for travel. What the K3 would be better for is the actual traveling. That is, the K3 would be best while in transit, but the DX is best for the hotel.

Likewise, the DX is best for home or office, but the K3 is better for the commute.

Amazon should sell the two together, at a discount.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I personally enjoy reading regular books much more on the larger screen. It has more of a real page feel and it is more immersible to me.
Greetings, fellow Apist. I, too, like the larger screen better. Your point about it being more immersible is exactly my experience. I used to have a K3, but lost it & replaced it with a DXG, on the theory that I could return it & get another K3. It took about 5 minutes to realize that wasn't going to happen. I will probably wind up with another K3, in addition to the DX. I'm saving my pennies. Mainly because the DX isn't something easily used on the train or bus, or even at lunch.

The DX is overpriced, though. With the 3G Kindle at 189, the DX shouldn't be 200 more. I would expect a wifi DX to be 249, and a 3G to be 299 in the next generation.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
I recently switched up to a DXG from a K3. They both have the same e-ink Pearl Screen. The biggest difference is the firmware. It's possible the DX could get a firmware update but I wouldn't bet on it. Other than the browser there isn't a huge difference with the firmware. The DX has a sensor to autorotate when you rotate to landscape. In my opinion the DX has better build quality and is more sturdy than the all plastic K3. A pic comparing the screens. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but my DX actually had better contrast.

jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I really, really hope amazon releases a firmware update for DXG and soon.

I would think they should be trying very hard to do it especially being that the textbook market is what the DX is mostly aimed at... highlighting and annotating is kinda important!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote