Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJJ View Post
Hi,

@theducks
I have recently run into the corrupted databases problem as I have switched from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) although my wife still runs Win7. We both access the same libraries held on a NAS and saw this thread relating to a similar (same) problem.

I did try rebuilding one of the database but I then get a problem if my wife accesses the library from her Win7 machine (usually missing or extra books and the old databases reported as authors).

The option to run remote desktop or VNC for remote control is not really an option as the Win7 machine may not be running at the time I want to access the library. Is there an alternative? All my other files and databases on the NAS are unaffected by accessing from the two machines. It seems to be a problem only when I run Calibre.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 64bit and the libraries are stored on a Buffalo Link Station Pro.

Thanks
Calibre does not currently have file and record locking (thus single access). Two Accesses at the same time leads to big issues

OS vs Filesystem case will be another problem (I think you already found that, wrong case). Worse, Linux allows Joe Author and joe author to exist, Windows barfs as it can't tell the difference
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
DaveJJ
DaveJJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre does not currently have file and record locking (thus single access). Two Accesses at the same time leads to big issues

OS vs Filesystem case will be another problem (I think you already found that, wrong case). Worse, Linux allows Joe Author and joe author to exist, Windows barfs as it can't tell the difference
Thanks for quick reply.

I don't think that the problem I'm having is connected to simultaneous access, but as you point out, more a difference in the way the Linux and Windows versions behave. However I think that the simplest short term solution is to use VirtualBox and install Calibre in a Windows 7 guest. Much quicker than a reboot. So far all seems well and it saves having to create duplicate libraries ... a definite nightmare.

I keep an eye on how it goes and let you know.

Thanks again.
DaveJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
oops - thats alread been said
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, corrupt, corrupted, database