Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quite a bit of Hollywood's problems is involved in the money they spend on single-point high costs: That is, huge salaries for major stars and star directors/producers, over-the-top special effects and monstrous promotions; instead of using the lesser (but just as talented) actors, directors and producers to their full extent, scaling back on car crashes and fireballs, and utilizing basic promoting methods for their movies (commercials, tie-ins and reviews).

There are a number of parallels to the publishing industry, as it so happens.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
As for turntable, yes I do have one, but I have also noticed that you can buy turntables with USB ports. Haven't checked into it thoroughly but I have to assume it is for recording to a PC. Lots of Frank Sinatra Live albums, Ella Fitzgerald, Platters, Count Basie. Belonged to my parents, they reluctantly entered the VD age somewhere around 2000.
Somebody had good taste.
The USB turntables come with the software and everything needed for conversion. Very easy to use. On sale they can be had fairly cheap, too. But If you already have one the preamp+software route will be 30-60% cheaper.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
There are a number of parallels to the publishing industry, as it so happens.
And a lot of lessons to be learned, for those willing.
They have similar problems of trying to protect the old distribution channels while fostering the new digital ones; of distributors locking up exclusive content, and even distributors "publishing" content.

One major difference: the movie studios aren't constantly painting themselves as victims of the new tech or pretending the sky is falling.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Somebody had good taste.
The USB turntables come with the software and everything needed for conversion. Very easy to use. On sale they can be had fairly cheap, too. But If you already have one the preamp+software route will be 30-60% cheaper.
In Sweden, strangely no. The pre-amp is actually $15 more expensive than a USB turntable. I believe I might be able to borrow one from a friend, It is kind of a one-time usage so shouldn't be a major problem. I was surprised to find the pre-amp at $100 and the USB turntable at $85 (welcome to consumerism Swedish style)
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I didn't like the idea of Netflix until I could stream to a set top box. Now that I can get a streaming-only package, I like it even more. I only buy DVDs for kid's movies. I don't see much point in buying a DVD for a movie I will probably only watch once.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I have an ION, A Technics and a Dual and I like the Ion the best for copying to cd as I can hook it up directly to my Laptop
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Now that I can get a streaming-only package, I like it even more. I only buy DVDs for kid's movies. I don't see much point in buying a DVD for a movie I will probably only watch once.
That is a common position these days.
A lot of people used to buy DVDs because their pricing baseline was $3-4 rentals and $6 movie tickets. And for "anytime viewing".

Movie tickets have gotten more expensive, but Redbox and Netflix have been driving rental prices way down. And the streaming services have effectively neutered the whole availability debate.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
And the streaming services have effectively neutered the whole availability debate.
I think the amount you watch has a lot to do with it. For many, Netflix's $8.00 per month is quite reasonable.

For some of us, however, it's a high minimum to maintain every month. For example, a year ago I bought the complete DVD set of my favorite tv show, Secret Agent with Patrick McGoohan, for $39.95 including shipping. I still have a long way to go which I can enjoy at my leisure, and I own pristine copies.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
DVD players will soon go the way of VCRs. Blu-Ray is a great advance for digital storage, but as internet bandwidth increases, Blu-Ray runs a great risk of becoming a has been before its adoption is firmly established. Why adopt a format that will be obsolete in less than five years?
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
DVD players will soon go the way of VCRs. Blu-Ray is a great advance for digital storage, but as internet bandwidth increases, Blu-Ray runs a great risk of becoming a has been before its adoption is firmly established. Why adopt a format that will be obsolete in less than five years?

Ironically enough, I use my blu-ray player almost entirely as a streaming device. I have yet to purchase a single blu-ray movie.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Ironically enough, I use my blu-ray player almost entirely as a streaming device. I have yet to purchase a single blu-ray movie.
+1
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #27
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
because not everyone has unlimited broadband internet. Really, fairly substantial parts of the country don't. My sister lives outside of Denver, and will need to get a satellite connection if she wants anything more than dial-up. I live in SE Michigan, and we have severely metered internet - my husband has to download my audio books at his work, because one download will use up our daily allotment, and then we'd be stuck on below dial-up speeds for 24 hours.

streaming video is totally out of the question for us.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
And a lot of lessons to be learned, for those willing.
They have similar problems of trying to protect the old distribution channels while fostering the new digital ones; of distributors locking up exclusive content, and even distributors "publishing" content.

One major difference: the movie studios aren't constantly painting themselves as victims of the new tech or pretending the sky is falling.
I see you haven't been in a video rental store in recent years. They have loops about the evils of video piracy and how some hot babe will desire you if you buy more movies that run after every third trailer.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #29
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
because not everyone has unlimited broadband internet. Really, fairly substantial parts of the country don't. My sister lives outside of Denver, and will need to get a satellite connection if she wants anything more than dial-up. I live in SE Michigan, and we have severely metered internet - my husband has to download my audio books at his work, because one download will use up our daily allotment, and then we'd be stuck on below dial-up speeds for 24 hours.

streaming video is totally out of the question for us.
It doesn't matter if everyone has unlimited broadband. Once enough people do and sales drop, DVD's and Blu-Ray will no longer be economically viable and mass production will cease. It's not a matter of if, but of when.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #30
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
If there wasn't doom and gloom in the "entertainment industry" about some new twist on the cards, it would mean it was really going down the tubes.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote