Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyman666 View Post
thx, I got the kindle dxg device id by using ubuntu console, which is /dev/sdc1. but as I excute the command line which likes
dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1024
the console gives me the feedback that I have no permission to operate /dev/sdc1, what does it mean, should I input the password of the device, and how?

And stranger_st said this approach needs no password.
Maybe it's you lack knowledge of how UNIX/Linux works.

You need to be a superuser (aka root). Ubuntu uses sudo as a way to get superuser privilieges per default. Ubuntu (mistakenly in my opinion) uses the user password to get root privilieges, so you need to use that in order to do certain operations.

Per default, modifing and mounting file systems aren't allowed by standard users.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
kogi
kogi began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Sorry, I forgot these simple things

Code:
sudo dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1024
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
lyman666
lyman666 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
thank you timofonic and kogi, I finished the write operation with your help, but kindle still can not work, and just stopped at the screen which says "Please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up". I have no idea about what happens to me. Does any one encounter the situation as me?

BTW, my device is kindle DXG, and rootfs.img is from stranger_st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogi View Post
Sorry, I forgot these simple things

Code:
sudo dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1024
lyman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #19
lyman666

Hi stranger_st and timofonic,

thank you both for help, but my kindle dxg is still in trouble, have you already unbrick your DXG successfully just by following the steps that stranger_st given here and not by using of TTL2RS232 adapter?

My situaton is:
The operation that write the rootfs.img (I get it from stranger_st) to kindle disk partition should be success, it takes few minutes to do that and then the command finished and followed by file size information of read and write operation. I press R4 but kindle cannot restart correctly, and just ask me to wait.

I just want to know what's wrong with me in this steps. It seems I did the same thing to brick DXG with you: push the I button in the development menu mode.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #20
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Hello.

The same happens here, the Kindle tries to boot again and again with the progress bar finishing but appears again. It says the "Please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up." message a lot of time, then it reboots and can't finish to boot but it says finally the "Repair needed" warning at the end without other change.

Same error as before

What it can be? So opening the Kindle to do JTAG would be necessary now or there's something me and lyman666 missed or did wrong?

Quote:
Hi stranger_st and timofonic,

thank you both for help, but my kindle dxg is still in trouble, have you already unbrick your DXG successfully just by following the steps that stranger_st given here and not by using of TTL2RS232 adapter?

My situaton is:
The operation that write the rootfs.img (I get it from stranger_st) to kindle disk partition should be success, it takes few minutes to do that and then the command finished and followed by file size information of read and write operation. I press R4 but kindle cannot restart correctly, and just ask me to wait.

I just want to know what's wrong with me in this steps. It seems I did the same thing to brick DXG with you: push the I button in the development menu mode.

Last edited by timofonic; 10-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:12 AM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Side note: Recovery does *NOT* mean you should dump the image onto the document partition of the kindle. You need to access the root partition and the kindle will only allow for that when you select that from recovery menu *and* enter password (or you did use yifanlu's kernel before it broke).

As a rule of thumb: When there's only one partition (/dev/sdX1, but no /dev/sdX2), chances are it's the document partition, *NOT* the root partition. You can also check partition sizes: The root partition is the same size as the partition image.

Note that recovery this way is not without risks. And you should really know what you're doing and why.

In fact it was news for me when stranger_st wrote that you can access the root partition without RS232 and entering password. And I still don't really believe that - except if you were using yifanlus kernel.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
timofonic
Zealot

Hello Hawhill.

Thanks for your points, you are nicely contributing to make things more clear.

What password should I put and where? How to obtain that password?

So do you mean we just rewrote the document partition? Because there's just one on the system, you are right.

Do you think Amazon would replace or fix my Kindle DXG at this stage?

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Side note: Recovery does *NOT* mean you should dump the image onto the document partition of the kindle. You need to access the root partition and the kindle will only allow for that when you select that from recovery menu *and* enter password (or you did use yifanlu's kernel before it broke).

As a rule of thumb: When there's only one partition (/dev/sdX1, but no /dev/sdX2), chances are it's the document partition, *NOT* the root partition. You can also check partition sizes: The root partition is the same size as the partition image.

Note that recovery this way is not without risks. And you should really know what you're doing and why.

In fact it was news for me when stranger_st wrote that you can access the root partition without RS232 and entering password. And I still don't really believe that - except if you were using yifanlus kernel.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #23
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
First: I would really check the partition's size. If it's about 3-3.5 GB, it's the document partition. (if you did overwrite that, I think you can re-format it as FAT and hope that the Kindle will re-create the directory structure on its own)

I think you can't really get to the password prompt without serial connection. However, I never did this, so take this with a grain of salt and hope that someone who went through this will comment.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
lyman666

Hi, here with the link you can find a tool which can be used to read out some information of kindle including recovery password, the following lines are the output by using this tool:

Serial Number: B009A1A010******
Recovery Password: fiona****
Model: Kindle DX Graphite
Driver Letter: N

http://www.siralex.info/2011/06/13/k...agnostic-tool/

But how and in which step should I input the Recovery Password for the purpose of access the root partition?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #25
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post

Strange in my case this recovery process worked. Maybe it is restoring partly or differently.

But First time when my Kindle DXG was broken I did as hawhill said through serial interface. This is the best way as it will make clean install.

For that you will need RS232 connection as ebs done.

Here is short and full guide how to recover kindle dxg.

I have partly disassembled Kindle and removed plastic bezel. http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/ki...air-guide.html
Till step 2. Without Removing bezel I could not connect to 4 serial pins.
In my case (Kindle dxg) connection was different than in ebs version.
1. 5V from converter (where 1 on the board)
2. Rx port.
3. Tx port.
4. Ground.
I just taped wires to the PCB with a scotch tape as EBS.
Connect and fix battery with scotch tape.

You will need Linux (Ubuntu best choice)

##become root user
sudo su

## Installing cu minicom
apt-get install cu minicom

##check to which usb it is attached usually ttyUSB0
##command to check
dmesg

##Giving right permissions
chown uucp /dev/ttyUSB0

##Connect to Device
minicom -s
# Configure Serial connection

Configuration:
A -- /dev/ttyUSB0
B -- /var/lock
C --
D --
E --115200 8N1
F --Not
G --Not

Connected Kindle Serial
Starting process and:
Hit enter to interrupt the boot process while it starts initialize kernel

In Recovery Menu hit 3 and give password
(which you can obtain with this tool http://www.siralex.info/2011/06/13/k...agnostic-tool/
it works when kindle connected as usb storage example in recovery mode if your kindle is not starting).

Plug your Usb Cable

#In Linux type
dmesg
#and hit enter
# you will See sdb1 or sdc1 or sdd1 device connected as EXT3-fs I will use sdx1

umount /dev/sdx1

#Make new filesystem

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdx1

dd if='/home/solid/recovery/rootfs.img' of=dev/sdx1

wait till the command finishes and give back console

Hit Reboot in the serial console or hit R on the Kindle

Thats it your Kindle clean installed

If you have any questions ready to answer.
PS. Thanks to hawhill he guided me and provided root image.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #26
lyman666

stranger_st, in your post you mentoned: In Recovery Menu hit 3 and give password, I just wonder how to input "password", via keyboard of kindle dxg or just via computer's keyboard?

I'v successfully input "3" via keyboard of Kindle DXG but not computer, but when I tried to input "password" via keyboard of Kindle DXG, the console did not have any change. It's the same with computer's keyboard.

So I need your help to archieve the step. Thx a lot.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #27
lyman666

My kindle DXG is now workable, thanks your gays here for so much help!

Quote:
stranger_st, in your post you mentoned: In Recovery Menu hit 3 and give password, I just wonder how to input "password", via keyboard of kindle dxg or just via computer's keyboard?

I'v successfully input "3" via keyboard of Kindle DXG but not computer, but when I tried to input "password" via keyboard of Kindle DXG, the console did not have any change. It's the same with computer's keyboard.

So I need your help to archieve the step. Thx a lot.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #28
mikoff
mikoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, guys, could someone provide fresh rootfs image for kindle recovery?
Thanks a lot!
mikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoff View Post
Hi, guys, could someone provide fresh rootfs image for kindle recovery?
Thanks a lot!
Any chance you can find the sticky threads at the top of this forum?
Since you did not bother to mention which model that is the only answer possible.

Last edited by knc1; 06-23-2012 at 07:02 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
mikoff
mikoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile

I think it`s obvious that i have kindle dx graphite, because i posted my request in this topic.
mikoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, bricked, jtag, kindle dxg, recovery mode