Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Joy unbound! The system won't let me give you more Karma right now either but I will when I can.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #32
[Ahmed]
[Ahmed] began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle³
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
Using a Garamond type font at the moment. I think I'll stick with it.
Can you find out which Garamond it is? I've tried four so far and they all weren't exactly what I had hoped for.
[Ahmed] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #33
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I used Garamond Premier Pro, converted from my OpenType originals, and the results were...crummy. Sizes one through three were barely readable, size four approached what Caecilia looks like on size two...anyway, a mess. Gorgeous in the upper sizes though.

I'm guessing the conversion (done with an online tool) was probably less than ideal? Can anyone recommend an alternative that might be a bit smarter with the hinting?
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #34
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
I managed to clean up a few of the fonts I was trying out by selecting 'Remove kerning' when converting them to TTF using Font Squirrel. This helped a lot, making the fonts much crisper on the Kindle.

One problem I keep running into, though, is that the terminal on the lower case 'f' is systematically chopped off whenever it appears at the end of a line. I've seen this now in five different fonts.

Changing the margins and justification doesn't seem to help either.

I've attached a screenshot here of Minion Pro Condensed.

Is anyone else running into this? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missing f terminals.gif
Views:	1629
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	58609  
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #35
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
I managed to clean up a few of the fonts I was trying out by selecting 'Remove kerning' when converting them to TTF using Font Squirrel. This helped a lot, making the fonts much crisper on the Kindle.

One problem I keep running into, though, is that the terminal on the lower case 'f' is systematically chopped off whenever it appears at the end of a line. I've seen this now in five different fonts.

Changing the margins and justification doesn't seem to help either.

I've attached a screenshot here of Minion Pro Condensed.

Is anyone else running into this? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Sorry, I can´t help you, but the font is beautiful.

Do you know when I can get it?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@veezh: Tweak the bearings for that character in a font editor, maybe? (Fontforge :P).

@flandroid: Yep, converting PS OTF fonts is a pain. You can try to port the hinting instructions by copying the PS Private table over to your converted font, and a run of AutoHint & AutoInstr on Fontforge, but it's far from perfect...

Or, to build generic hinting instructions via FontForge (from a completely non hinted font [if not, Clear Hints & Clear Instr beforehand]).
* Add & let guess the BlueValues & OtherBlues settings in the PS private table.
* AutoHint
* Add & let guess StdHW, StdVW, StemSnapH, StemSnapV in the PS private table.
* AutoHint (again)
* AutoInstr

But it really depends on the fonts, and sometimes, you'll end up with something far worse than the unhinted font .

Or you can just use the OpenType CFF font directly, without forgetting to make it a .ttf and not a .otf .

If you're still unsatisifed with the hinting, you can try to AutoHint it *as a CFF font*, and not a TrueType font. (Same as before, clear hints & instrs, Fill & Guess the PS private table, AutoHint, export as OpenType CFF). That usually works better, FontForge handles PS fonts way better than trueType ones .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-11-2010 at 11:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #37
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Has anyone tried the Palatino font on the K3? I ask because it's a very popular font for printing novels (though I suspect due to the eInk characteristics it may not convey so well).

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, OTF Type 1/2 fonts renamed as .ttf *seem* to work fine so far, and the Kindle uses the the hinting instructions, so that should help a lot for those PS fonts .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #39
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NiLuJe,

Curious that the underlying system accepts them - though I suppose really since Linux (and most software on Linux) works by the contents/signature of the file as opposed to the file "extension" (which is meaningless) there's no reason it shouldn't work. Good find that.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

OpenType Collections (.ttc if I remember correcly) probably won't, though.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #41
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

That's fine - the fonts I mostly use here are T1/2. Will be interesting to experiment when the K3 finally arrives.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #42
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
OpenType Collections (.ttc if I remember correcly) probably won't, though.
Yes, you do remember correctly.
On the PocketBook device they work after renaming them to ttf.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #43
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
[QUOTE=NiLuJe;1123042]@veezh: Tweak the bearings for that character in a font editor, maybe? (Fontforge :P).

Thanks for the tip. I've finally managed to adjust the right bearing for the 'f' character. Very fiddly, but it worked a treat.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #44
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Well, OTF Type 1/2 fonts renamed as .ttf *seems* to work fine so far, and the Kindle uses the the hinting instructions, so that should help a lot for those PS fonts .
This is great news. Popped the renamed OTFS on, restarting now to see what it looks like. Thanks for trying this; until there's a good backup/restore utility for the Kindle I'm reluctant to do this kind of thing until someone else guinea-pigs it.

Edit: No dice. The hinting in Garamond Premier Pro makes some lines too fine (for instance, the 'y' looks like three balls joined by hairs) at a size equivalent to my default reading size. Boo. Will try others sometime (when I'm not at the office).

Last edited by flandroid; 09-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #45
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
So for whatever reason, I'm reluctant to hack my Kindle. I'm sure it's pretty safe (and I'm a Software Engineer by trade, so I have experience with embedded Linux and coding in general), but I don't think I stand much to gain by doing it.

While I'd like new screensavers, I can hold out until Amazon implements them officially, since when I'm not reading, the cover is flapped closed anyway. I'm not in love with the default fonts, but find them usable. I'd love something a little more usable at smaller sizes, though, so this thread really intrigues me.

Perhaps I'm still not getting something. I admittedly haven't tried these steps, mostly because I'm lazy and after getting home from 10 hours writing embedded firmware all day I'd rather just read then hack my reader.

Assuming I get over this laziness however, is there anything stopping me from taking Garamond (for example) from C:\Windows\Fonts\GARA.TTF and just using that? Do fonts contain DRM or anything like that? Do these contain the necessary hinting so they don't look like garbage? I'm on Win7, if that matters.

When I double-click on the .ttf file in my fonts director, it opens in the Windows font viewer and says "Garamond (OpenType)" even though the file is actually a ttf file. It also says Digitally Signed and TrueType Outlines, and Version 2.40.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it and should just try it, but like I said, I'm lazy and don't want to spend hours to get it the way I like it :-P

One final question, but are the standard system fonts in a user-accessible location? I assume not, since then you could just replace them with whatever you wanted, but I have to ask, since this method doesn't allow me to use the Aa button to change fonts at will.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote