Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
TedN
TedN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Waking Kindle At A Given Time?

I find that if I jailbreak a Kindle3g v 3.1, telnet in, and run this script:

=========================+CUT HERE+=================
#!/bin/sh
#
# set alarm for 5 Min in the future
#
trap "" 1

date > do_sleep_wake.out

echo "" > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
echo "+300" > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

#
# Suspend system
#
echo mem > /sys/power/state

#
# We are awake again
#
date >> do_sleep_wake.out
====================END SCRIPT=============

That the kindle seems to suspend itself and that the two dates written to "do_sleep_wake.out" are in fact 5 minutes apart. (And I can't ping or telnet to the kindle during the 5 min suspend interval).

However, when I arrange for a similar script to run at system boot ("restart") time, with a 15 min interval, the kindle does not wake after going into the screen saver "slide power switch to continue" mode. Any thoughts as to why?

My guesses are that maybe ~usbNetwork has to be running, or that there is some interaction with powerd.
TedN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
What level is it initializing at? Perhaps the timing causes the flags to be reset by the system itself.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
TedN
TedN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
What level is it initializing at? Perhaps the timing causes the flags to be reset by the system itself.
Well, as I understand it, runlevel 5 is the standard "fully operating" level, so (simplifying a little) I have an S99 script in rc5.d which runs

=====================CUT==========
#!/bin/sh
#
# set alarm for $1 seconds in the future
#
trap "" 1

echo "" > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
echo "+${1}" > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
==================END===============

with an arg of 900 (15 min). This should give the kindle time to boot and then (assuming I don't fool with the UI) go to sleep by itself with the wakeup coming later. However, it doesn't seem to wake up.
TedN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Matan
Enthusiast
Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Matan can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
When the kindle goes to sleep, it does a bit more than "echo mem > /sys/power/state". Perhaps one of the things it does is resetting the alarm.

Try you first script with 900 instead of 300, and without the echo mem line, and see if it wakes up after going to sleep.
Matan is offline   Reply With Quote