Notices

Old 09-22-2023, 03:48 AM   #1
Narcolpetic
Narcolpetic began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exporting annotations from Viewer.

Hi!

I'm looking to achieve two things:

1. Export a SELECTION of annotations only. Selecting a number of HL's with CTRL/SHIFT-click and then choosing Export still exports all. Am I missing something?

2. Export Notes together with and directly after Highlights, with some way to distinguish Notes and HL's. Is this possible? ATM I have not found a way to export notes at all.

The reason I need this is that my workflow for deep text study is to do a session of HL/Notetaking directly followed by exporting the relevant HL's/Notes to a doc and creating a distilled version.

I already use a online tool to clean the export from date-time stamps and dividing lines, so it would be nice to not have to create a FULL export file (big, slow to load/paste..) then find and cut the relevant part out.

Cheers!

/N
Narcolpetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 04:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Implemented in: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...15d4b6ecce8173

2. Dont know what you mean exporting of highlights includes notes

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-22-2023 at 04:51 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2023, 02:18 AM   #3
Narcolpetic

Thank you Kovid!

I'm not code-savvy so I don't know how to make the linked impementation work. Do I need to add it to Calibre, and if so how?

If someone could point me, in the direction of info on how this it would be much appreciated!

(Point 2 seem to have been a mistake on my part - works as expected.)

Cheers!

/N
Old 09-24-2023, 02:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
wait for the next calibre release, the change will be in it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 02:55 AM   #5
Narcolpetic

PS. Sorry about typos. Too late to edit apparently. DS
Advert
Old 09-24-2023, 02:57 AM   #6
Narcolpetic

Ok, cool - thanks a lot!
Old 10-02-2023, 04:10 AM   #7
NickBel
NickBel began at the beginning.

Device: Mobile phone or desktop, laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcolpetic View Post
Hi!

I'm looking to achieve two things:

1. Export a SELECTION of annotations only. Selecting a number of HL's with CTRL/SHIFT-click and then choosing Export still exports all. Am I missing something?

2. Export Notes together with and directly after Highlights, with some way to distinguish Notes and HL's. Is this possible? ATM I have not found a way to export notes at all.

The reason I need this is that my workflow for deep text study is to do a session of HL/Notetaking directly followed by exporting the relevant HL's/Notes to a doc and creating a distilled version.

I already use a online tool to clean the export from date-time stamps and dividing lines, so it would be nice to not have to create a FULL export file (big, slow to load/paste..) then find and cut the relevant part out.

Cheers!

/N
What is the online tool, if you don't mind sharing?
NickBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:56 AM   #8
Narcolpetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
wait for the next calibre release, the change will be in it.
Thanks Kovid, works perfectly! Donated.

/Nick
Old 10-12-2023, 05:03 AM   #9
Narcolpetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBel View Post
What is the online tool, if you don't mind sharing?
Not at all!

I use this tool to remove lines containing "--------------------", then "2023-".

After that I remove empty lines, then paste the result in a .gdoc.

Et voilà! This gives me my "skeleton version" of the book, with Sections, Highlights and Notes, that I can edit further if I wish.

Hope that's useful!

/Nick
Old 10-13-2023, 02:50 AM   #10
Narcolpetic

Hi guys, a few further reflections on highlighting:

1. Would it be possible to remove the default HL-options shown for highlight selection? To me the colours are to strong for fluid reading, and I don’t use the red wavy lines/strikethrough. Creating my own options and showing only those would be better.

There could be an option to reset (or add?) defaults if one wishes.

2. Would it be possible to edit, rather than remove, a custom HL style, and have existing highlights of that style change appearance with it?

3. Would it be possible to remove all highlights from a selection of text? Now only the first HL is removed.

4. Could one somehow change style for a selection of highlights? Either ALL HL’s or only HL’s of a selected style in selected text?

5. Would it be possible to “ctrl+z/y” to undo/redo in this context? Especially useful if multi-object edits become possible.

6. Finally, could it be made possible to apply more than one highlight style to the same text?

A process like Tiago Fortes progressive summarization, where you make a first pass with one HL then revisit and distil by applying another style to key content would require this.

One could of course replace the first HL with the second, but this would turn out impractical in practice.

If I want to add emphasis to one or two words in a highlighted sentence, without losing the original "level one" HL, that would mean having to re-highlight the "gaps" in the first-level style again after applying level two HL's.

Distilling "Mother Mary had a little lamb chop" into "Mother Mary had a little lamb chop" would then require five rather than two highlights and very much break flow.

I guess this would require a “Add Highlight” option that could be added to the selection popup bar. And ideally a “Quick Add in current (Separate) style as well.

That’s all for now folks!

/N