Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #16
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork
Hyperduel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Gen 1 + Gen 3, Fire 10 (2019), Likebook Alita + P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Well, I put Note, Note 2 and Mimas (also black) next to each other and it is really difficult to see a difference.
Besides, there are various different contrast settings in them - Mimas even has a global contrast setting, and then, try to match various settings in reading apps. Good luck with their different native apps. As to Cool Reader, for some reason it does not recognize that Mimas has an e-ink screen. So there are even more settings to deal with - to get rid of textures, etc. So CR on Mimas therefore has a brightness control in its settings - you can make the background of the page darker and darker (it is not a frontlight control).
Furthermore, it seems that gamma values are very different when e-ink is recognized and when it is not. So when on Note 2 the value of 1.0 is good enough, Mimas requires a much higher value.
Anyway, the text on the screen is very similar on all three - it is possible to achieve a very similar result.
Of course, the frontlight on Note 2 and on Mimas are off.

Speaking of which, Note 2 has two separate sliders for white and yellow light, and two switches to switch them off completely, one by one.
Mimas has only one slider and a switch between day and night, so in the night mode only yellow light remains. And the global off switch, of course.
At least they both allow to switch that light off completely, unlike all the Kindles.
If I understand it correctly, you need to hack a Kindle in order to switch the light off completely.
I am really thinking about buying a Kindle myself - so that I can sue Amazon and get a lot of money from them.
I love my Kindle Oasis 2. I just want a 10.3 ereader mostly for Manga but also for notes time to time. I love the SDCard slot of the Likebooks, but the software leaves a lot to be desire. Onyx have the better software but no SD Card slot.

Decisions decisions....I know I'll mostly use this for Manga so leaning on the Likebook still.
Hyperduel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #17
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I also like having buttons, so Mimas is better than Alita for me. Although "caching" shows up on Mimas with pdf files quite frequently. Perhaps with Alita's double memory it is different.
Come to think of it, no "cashing" with Note, though.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork

Quote:
I also like having buttons, so Mimas is better than Alita for me. Although "caching" shows up on Mimas with pdf files quite frequently. Perhaps with Alita's double memory it is different.
Come to think of it, no "cashing" with Note, though.
I'm planning to use the screen for manga a lot, so I don't think the buttons on the Mimas will work with Third Party apps. Hard to decide if I want more storage space or if I want the software experience.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #19
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, with Note 2 I tried otg with a 64 GB usb-c flash drive. Works fine, 58 GB available.
If you hold Note 2 upside down and read books directly from it, then the flash stick is at the top and less chances of damaging it. And by "it" I mean Note 2, not the stick
With Mimas, I am using a 256 GB card = 231.28 GB available.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #20
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork

Quote:
Well, with Note 2 I tried otg with a 64 GB usb-c flash drive. Works fine, 58 GB available.
If you hold Note 2 upside down and read books directly from it, then the flash stick is at the top and less chances of damaging it. And by "it" I mean Note 2, not the stick
With Mimas, I am using a 256 GB card = 231.28 GB available.
The Mimas and that space is so useful for Manga.

However, I'm a light note taker and I just need to take notes with a pen. Notes are basic and not writing on a PDF. How's the Mimas for that? Was actually looking at the Alita due to the freshed screen and I can still take notes.
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #21
parkher
Evangelist

By the way, it seems that Mimas does not support OTG. I just tried the same usb-c flash drive I used successfully with Note 2 (therefore this is not off-topic) - nothing happens. And I see no option to enable OTG.
Well, it has a working card slot, and I have several 256 GB cards, so who cares
It probably would work with 512 GB as well.

As to note taking - I am very reluctant to try. Both Mimas and Note 2 have screen protectors included, so you know...
Besides, I would not know how good it is anyway.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #22
ebookreader1111
ebookreader1111 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone used both the reMarkable and the Onyx Note Book 2, and can comment on differences in the writing experience? From what I can tell, the reMarkable has been superior to previous Onyx models in this respect, so I am curious to hear if there have been any changes to this new model.
ebookreader1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #23
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
intro videos show that you can open 2 documents at a time and view them side-by-side. I would need to read books in VBK format with VitalSource app from Google Play store. Would it be possible to open two of that apps at the same time side-by-side (because the app does not have such option to view 2 sheets side-by-side)?
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:15 AM   #24
very_rude_Turnip
Enthusiast
very_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enoughvery_rude_Turnip will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto40 View Post
intro videos show that you can open 2 documents at a time and view them side-by-side. I would need to read books in VBK format with VitalSource app from Google Play store. Would it be possible to open two of that apps at the same time side-by-side (because the app does not have such option to view 2 sheets side-by-side)?
I remember reading somewhere that the side-by-side feature is limited to the Onyx reader app, so no, you can't have two arbitrary apps side by side.
very_rude_Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:08 AM   #25
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
One question... is it enought 10,3" to read .pdf comfortably without need to do zoom?
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:28 AM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij1 View Post
One question... is it enought 10,3" to read .pdf comfortably without need to do zoom?
It depends of the pdf layout.
A5 without any problem.
And 10,3" devices have the same screen resolution like 7,8" Readers.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-04-2019 at 04:33 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #27
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
I am thinking on buying the note pro(4 Gb ram) or the note2, and I read on some amazon opinions note2 is a little slower than the note. If its true it may be because of the android 9.

How fluid is the eReader?

And anyone knows if android 9 is really more cpu demanding than 6? If thats true I dont want to imagine a note pro when it receives the update to android 9
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:12 AM   #28
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Im using Likebook Alita
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #29
Hrod
Enthusiast
Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Boox Nova Pro & Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
I am thinking on buying the note pro(4 Gb ram) or the note2, and I read on some amazon opinions note2 is a little slower than the note. If its true it may be because of the android 9.

How fluid is the eReader?

And anyone knows if android 9 is really more cpu demanding than 6? If thats true I dont want to imagine a note pro when it receives the update to android 9
Here's a review from The eBook Reader: https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...arison-review/
It was done before the Note Pro update.

"The Note2 is a bit faster for more advanced tasks like loading multiple pages of PDFs in 9-page view; it’s also slightly faster loading web pages and loading apps, but the overall responsiveness between the two models is very similar.
[...]
The bottom line is the Note2 is slightly faster than the Note Pro, but most reading and note-taking tasks remain the same speed."

I don't know if Android 9 is more CPU-demanding. Time will tel when the Note Pro will be updated to Android 9.
I guess that Onyx will release it only if they manage to provide a better user experience compared to 2.2.1 Android 6.
Hrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #30
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrod View Post
Here's a review from The eBook Reader: https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...arison-review/
It was done before the Note Pro update.

"The Note2 is a bit faster for more advanced tasks like loading multiple pages of PDFs in 9-page view; it’s also slightly faster loading web pages and loading apps, but the overall responsiveness between the two models is very similar.
[...]
The bottom line is the Note2 is slightly faster than the Note Pro, but most reading and note-taking tasks remain the same speed."

I don't know if Android 9 is more CPU-demanding. Time will tel when the Note Pro will be updated to Android 9.
I guess that Onyx will release it only if they manage to provide a better user experience compared to 2.2.1 Android 6.

Thanks for the link.

Once I compared the Onyx Nova pro with the Likebook Mars running an AnTutu benchmark on both and this was very usefull to see which was more powerfull. Would you mind to run the AnTutu benchmark on your Note2 to see how this powerfull processor develops? If you do it you have to do it 2 times, one time in A2 mode and another time without being activated, the performance changes a lot

Thanks, whatever you decide
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox note2, info, note 2, review