Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #28606
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
My reading is spread all over the place right now, which is really nice as it is currently freezing cold and my idea of a great evening is some warm whiskey, a book and watching our two kittens go nuts about the place.
  • I am listening to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall for the New Leaf Book Club.
  • I am re-skimming Ghosts of the Tsunami for the Literary Book Club.
  • I am finishing up Rebecca West's Saga of the Century with the incomplete third volume Cousin Rosamund on my new Kobo Libra H20 (which I love)
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #28607
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Finishing up some Horror reads from October and shifting into Christmas mentality.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #28608
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've finished the Grantville Gazette, the shorts and the Asimovs. I was very impressed with the GG and the Asimovs - both 5/5 this time. I didn't like one of the shorts, but the other was a fun early work.

Now I'm reading both Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Analog for Nov/Dec 2019.
I've finished the Analog, which was also a good issue.

I'm still reading the Harry Potter, but I'm also reading This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #28609
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall for the New Leaf Book Club, and re-reading The Outskirter's Secret because I need something to offset Wildfell. Oh, and still listening to an Alexander Kent Bolitho book while I swim, but I only get about 20 minutes every other day right now on that, so it will be a while.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #28610
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I finished the latest novel by John Grisham, The Guardians. Even though my pace was slow (new hobby) I really enjoyed the book. It's about a type of Innocence Projects law firm, trying to free man wrongfully convicted of murder 23 years earlier. The people responsible for the murder aren't too happy about that.

I like John Grisham's novels, but I need to be in the mood for them. Luckily I was when this book was released.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #28611
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Maharanis was a really good read, now trying the Bruno, Chief of Police series. I really enjoyed the first one, and the second, The Dark Vineyard is holding up well too.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:03 AM   #28612
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Last week I read Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi. It is his memoir from his year in a town in the Basilicata area of Italy (located in the instep of the boot) in 1935. He was ordered to live there for three years by the Mussolini's fascist government. This is one of the best books of my 2019 reading. I bought it 12 years ago in paperback (it's not available as an e-book).

I just wondered if any of you have read this.

Heard about it through online discussion with high school classmates. One of our classmates (Frank Raviele) was in the Italian movie of the same name in a small non-speaking role as a carabinieri. I watched the dvd from netflix, but did not get around to reading the book until now.

The movie (1979) was a condensed version of the Italian TV miniseries that was 4 one-hour episodes. It's on youtube, but without any English titles. It was playing as a 4-hour movie in April of this year at the Film Forum in New York City, but I was not aware of it, so I missed out. It is playing in some other cities between now and the end of the year.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:41 AM   #28613
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm still reading the Harry Potter, but I'm also reading This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone.
I really enjoyed This is How You Lose the Time War. Recommended. (But I rather expected to enjoy it, since I really like Max Gladstone's fantasy series that started with Three Parts Dead.)

This was my 120th book for the year, and with it my TBR is back to three figures!

Still reading the Harry Potter. And I think I'll also start on this month's F&SF Magazine.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-15-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #28614
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I really enjoyed This is How You Lose the Time War. Recommended. (But I rather expected to enjoy it, since I really like Max Gladstone's fantasy series that started with Three Parts Dead.) [...]
I had glanced at this a few weeks ago, it seemed intriguing, but very short at 36k words (according to Kobo). I figured I would wait until the price came down to match the length.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #28615
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I had glanced at this a few weeks ago, it seemed intriguing, but very short at 36k words (according to Kobo). I figured I would wait until the price came down to match the length.
It popped up on my uk.ereaderiq.com notifications a short while ago on an author watch. I got it for just £0.99.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #28616
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Last week I read Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi. It is his memoir from his year in a town in the Basilicata area of Italy (located in the instep of the boot) in 1935. He was ordered to live there for three years by the Mussolini's fascist government. This is one of the best books of my 2019 reading. I bought it 12 years ago in paperback (it's not available as an e-book).
I read this decades ago and it's a stand-out book for me; I put it among the most powerful books I've read in my life. One of those books I think I should reread, but as you say, no ebook. I still have my paper copy, but that makes it much less likely to happen.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 AM   #28617
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Working on Slaughter and Forgetting, second in the Josef Slonsky police series set in Prague. Relationship between him and his younger assistant Navratil reminds me of Morse and Lewis. Kindle Prime lets me read one title per month free (there are six).
Thanks for the recommendation. I just finished #1, Lying and Dying and ready to start Slaughter and Forgetting.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #28618
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Completed from the library, Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1)
by Dean Koontz and Kevin J. Anderson.

A modern (2005) take on Frankenstein that I thought was original and interesting. I enjoyed the villain and his complexity. Randall six was good too. The others were typical cookie-cutter cops but at least they were witty. The book does end on a soft cliffhanger such that the story continues. It is compelling enough to continue the series sometime down the road when I'm looking for a fast and easy read. Rated B- [3 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #28619
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... but as you say, no ebook ...
There is a very poorly formatted epub version available for FREE at Kobo here.

I also have a properly formatted mobi version from "Read Books Ltd" which is listed as published in April 2013. I don't remember where I got it (maybe somewhere now defunct, like Fictionwise). It doesn't seem to be available in the "Read Books Ltd" catalogue now.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:19 AM   #28620
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I read this decades ago and it's a stand-out book for me; I put it among the most powerful books I've read in my life. One of those books I think I should reread, but as you say, no ebook. I still have my paper copy, but that makes it much less likely to happen.
I loaned my paperback last week to a friend who might appreciate it (Carlo Levi -- Christ Stopped at Eboli).
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote