Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That was one of the things that caught my eye.
Another thing, Ghidra can evaluate code paths with binary comparisons.
Sounds interesting. What is this feature for?

Quote:
Once a single firmware version is done in its entirety, only Ghidra scripted "next" versions have to be evaluated by a person.
Anything the "same" would only be handled by the script reporting.
Now that might be either impractical or not possible, but it is the direction of my thoughts.
It would be nice at least to try to dig in this direction.

Quote:
Or maybe one of the smaller, several million core, machines:
https://www.top500.org/list/2019/06/
(Amazon has stopped listing their supercomputers on that (voluntary) list.)

PS: 500 of the top 500 machines run Linux.
Today I spin-up a small VM with Ubuntu 16 in my google cloud trial account (though it expires in 40 days) and successfully started a ghidra server (a piece of cake). I haven't tried to add users to it but I'll back to it in a day or two. Then I can publish a repository and send credentials to interested people.

@knc1 Could you recommend a firmware we could try first? PW4-12.2.2?
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel-s View Post

@knc1 Could you recommend a firmware we could try first? PW4-12.2.2?
I was going to start with the PW4 (5.10.1.2 .. 5.12.2) but only because it is fairly recent.
My only other recent model is the KOA2 - which is next to impossible to open if required.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #18
pavel-s
Enthusiast

Quote:
I was going to start with the PW4 (5.10.1.2 .. 5.12.2) but only because it is fairly recent.
My only other recent model is the KOA2 - which is next to impossible to open if required.
That's cool because I'm also highly interested in PW4

Finally, I managed to configure the ghidra server. The active repository is pw4-5.12.2. It may make sense to preserve the original firmware paths. Later I will think about backups, migrations, etc. For anyone interested you can PM me (and later other people who will be able to add new users to the repository) for credentials and other access info.

Thanks

Last edited by pavel-s; 11-18-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #19
pavel-s
Enthusiast

Coming back to the original topic. Does anybody aware of what kind of binaries and for what kind of architecture are files bios.bin/s-bios.bin/u-boot.bin inside imx6sll_rex/ directory inside update_xxx.bin?

Last edited by pavel-s; 11-18-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: specifying update file
Old 11-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bare metal.
If asking how they are packaged ...
It might be something Android related if not u-image, and the u-boot file should always be u-image.
Advert
Old 11-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #21
pavel-s
Enthusiast

Thanks, that helps to understand what is u-boot.bin

However, it's still unclear (1) for what type of a chip the rest of binaries are, (2) how to disassemble them. And (3) what is the process of booting (the big picture).

I have some experience with PIC micro-controllers and soldering-related stuff. So, I hope, I'll be able to tell more after tools for disassembling kindle and serial/usb board arrive.

Update 1:
Interestingly, here is what binwalk says about bios.bin (original image):

Last edited by pavel-s; 11-19-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add binwalk output
Old 01-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #22
philipz
philipz began at the beginning.

Device: KK/KPW3
?

https://threatpost.com/amazon-kindle...cution/150003/
philipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Slightly clickbait-ish. Last I checked, lab126 used much older uboot builds, and heavily customized ones at that . That said, it'd take someone much more familiar with that to make a decisive announcement .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:10 AM   #24
philipz
philipz began at the beginning.

Device: KK/KPW3
For completeness into record:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/1...in-das-u-boot/

https://the-parallax.com/2019/12/06/...curity-pacsec/
philipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:55 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

The sky is falling, the sky is falling (or some semi-tech blogger has too little to do):

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-13103

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-13104

Tags
hacking, jailbreak kindle, jailbreaking