Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 AM   #136
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
KPW3 running 5.10.2

Kindle PW3 (7th gen.) . Black color. Purchased from Amazon India.
FW version : 5.10.2
S/N: G090 G105
I understand this can't be jailbroken, right? If yes is there any possibility that newer FW can be supported in the future?
Thanks.

Last edited by atonement; 10-20-2019 at 01:00 AM.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #137
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
No. Please read some other thread related to this firmware
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #138
scoticus
scoticus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just bought my daughter a PW4. Turned it on and connected to internet. Then uploaded some manga and didn't look right. Noticed you can jailbreak and read CBZ files natively. I don't know if it came this way (never chose to update) but FW is at 5.12.2
I understand this likely might never be jailbreakable, but I do still have a couple of questions:

1. Do you typically see jailbreaks occur in the most current firmware or older firmware, ie: will I likely benefit putting the device into airplane mode or can I just let it do its own thing?

2. Has anybody had any luck continuously returning theirs until they get the FW version they want?
2.1. What do you say when returning it?
I know this isn't morally the best option, but I feel amazon brought it on themselves.

3. When exactly (specific to the hour would be nice) will 5.12.2 be jailbroken?

I've been reading through the forums for a few hours, but haven't read everything. If any of these questions have already been answered, please accept my apologies and I will pray for your forgiveness.

Best regards
Me
scoticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #139
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@scoticus:

1. Depends. I really wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

3. The day Google's quantum computer actually manages to break RSA encryption.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #140
scoticus
scoticus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
@NiLuJe

How DARE you disappoint me with the truth!

Does anybody else have a less truthful but more satisfying answer?
scoticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #141
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Keep it at the current firmware version.
Even if the current firmware where to be jail broken, letting your device auto-update means no one can catch up with the version you use.

NOTE:
It may be possible for 5.12.2 to over-ride our kludge that blocks updates.
So keep your device in airplane mode.
It should only be a few more years before the Amazon firmware is again jail broken.

3) Most likely never.
But that doesn't mean the "next" version will be impossible to jail break (or the next-next, or next-next-next-next...).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 AM   #142
banid0
banid0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Hello,

I just bought an PW4 8GB Wi-Fi

S/N: G000 PP12

It came with 5.10.3 installed.

I already tried, without success as expected to downgrade to 5.10.1.3 factory, giving the error.

I'm sorry to ask but there are many threads and many information:

-is it jailbreakable? I suspect it is not.
-is it downgradable? I didn't understand clearly.
-can you do something by serial interface, either downgrade or jailbreak?
-How can i prevent it of upgrading itself? The plan is to maintaint this version in order to see if it is jailbreakable in the future. I wouldn't like to use the airplane mode, as I like to send books using the Wi-Fi ability.
-Does this version auto updates or just the 5.12.x?

Thank you very much!
banid0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #143
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banid0 View Post
Hello,

I just bought an PW4 8GB Wi-Fi

S/N: G000 PP12

It came with 5.10.3 installed.

I already tried, without success as expected to downgrade to 5.10.1.3 factory, giving the error.

I'm sorry to ask but there are many threads and many information:

-is it jailbreakable? I suspect it is not.
-is it downgradable? I didn't understand clearly.
-can you do something by serial interface, either downgrade or jailbreak?
-How can i prevent it of upgrading itself? The plan is to maintaint this version in order to see if it is jailbreakable in the future. I wouldn't like to use the airplane mode, as I like to send books using the Wi-Fi ability.
-Does this version auto updates or just the 5.12.x?

Thank you very much!
Based on the very first post of this thread, the only place you need to go ...

-No
-No
-No, at least not yet (this is one of the "Androidized" models)
-Use Airplane mode, then sideload your books over USB (you don't have to like it, just do it that way).
Alternately, with such old firmware as 5.10, use our blocking directory.
Whatever you do, do not let 5.12.anything install (5.11.x should be alright - all previous firmwares are still on the Amazon server).
-Every Kindle model auto updates since the K2 (and maybe since the K1).
Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #144
banid0
banid0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Based on the very first post of this thread, the only place you need to go ...
I read it, and some more...but it wasnt clear for me. Thank you very much for the bullet type answer down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
-Use Airplane mode, then sideload your books over USB (you don't have to like it, just do it that way).
Alternately, with such old firmware as 5.10, use our blocking directory.
Whatever you do, do not let 5.12.anything install (5.11.x should be alright - all previous firmwares are still on the Amazon server).
-Every Kindle model auto updates since the K2 (and maybe since the K1).
Does the update.bin..... partial directory does really work?

because I was "comissioning" the device, with trying to downgrade while waiting for your answers, etc etc, and I saw some kind of update(long random characters and number sequence) 2xxMB file.... it seems to me the cutie was trying to auto update.

I imeadiately shut the wifi down.

Is the method of leaving 100MB free a bullet proof one, as the updates are always more than 200MB, to provent auto update?
banid0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #145
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
There are no bullet proof solutions

Nothing can be guaranteed to prevent unwanted updates. Any Kindle of recent vintage will try to auto update. And Amazon could circumvent most protections without warning if they decide to push updates aggressively.

For a long time creating a root folder named update.bin.tmp.partial worked well. That probably won't stop updates if your firmware is 5.12.x or newer.

For the moment, having insufficient space to download an update e.g. only a 100 or so megabytes should work. Having low free space may slow down your Kindle or otherwise impact it's usability though.

A little thought or reading the forum would reveal more robust approaches. But by far the best way to block unwanted updates is to keep your Kindle in airplane mode.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #146
Stoltverd
Stoltverd began at the beginning.

Well... This was depressing...
Got my new kindle today.
Was hoping it had more options for organization based on metadata (at least organizing books by series would be nice). But nope...
Then I was happy I found the kindle collections plugin. Then I read there I need collection manager. Then I read there I need to jailbreak the device. Now I read if I registered it im out of luck for connecting it to wi-fi.
Guess who has 5.12.x on airplane mode now and 600+ books and mangas to manage manually?
T-T
Stoltverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #147
marinai
marinai began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4/KPW-3/Kindle3/Pocketbook-Touch Lux3/Kobo-Elipsa
it's a bummer... have you tried using Calibre to manage collections?
marinai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #148
Stoltverd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinai View Post
it's a bummer... have you tried using Calibre to manage collections?
I have everything neatly organized in calibre.
Not as neatky as I have it by folder structure and personal naming conventions but still...
The issue is when exporting them to the kindle.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #149
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoltverd View Post
I have everything neatly organized in calibre.
Not as neatky as I have it by folder structure and personal naming conventions but still...
The issue is when exporting them to the kindle.
What are you using to do the import on the Kindle side of the transfer?
AND ...
Kindles only have a single level of collections since about 5.2.days.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #150
Stoltverd

Calibre