Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
PDFs only. N96 or wait?

This 10" Boox N96 is down to $190USD where I am now:
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...o-walkthrough/

But I'm not sure it's really comfortable enough for PDFs. I need it to be able to handle scanned, badly done A4 size pdfs.

I only want to be able to read PDFs but I want to read them easily. More easily than an 8" ipad mini that I'm using now.

For the N96 I'd need to find alternative apps for the old android system but I think with a bit of effort I should be able to get the basics working, such as a Dropbox alternative for syncing.

There's also the Wisky EeWrite, jezetek P97A
(more here: https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/...up-march-2018/ https://ereader.store/en/boyue-likeb...otective_cover )

...or I can wait for 13" screens to come down in price and have some peace of mind about not needing scrolling and reflow.

I think many pdfs I'd like to read are badly processed. For example, badly scanned pdfs.

Last edited by jago25_98; 09-21-2019 at 12:36 PM.
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your best solution is a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your best solution is a tablet.
I think you're right. I'm gonna stay with the 8" ipad until ereaders get better
Being patient
Old 10-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think eink is likely as good as it's getting. The screen is a high cost so I don't know if the 10" to 14" will get cheaper.
I'd like to be able to afford multiple sizes, or have a device that pulls out from A5 to A4 or longer. Technically possible.
Only some radically different tech can add colour or video (Mirasol seems to be over hyped, too high royalty and too expensive). LCD and OLED take too much power and lose the biggest advantage of eink, working with ambient light. I hate the front lights and only use them if there is a power cut or I'm stuck waiting for someone in the car after dark.

A 10" tablet seems to be minimum for a wide range of PDFs. Except battery life is poor on mine because it's x86-64 Intel Atom with 32 bit Win 10. I did try Debian on it which allowed 64 bit Linux, except you need a custom script or touch screen is wrong when you rotate I might try again if I need a lot of portable PDF reading.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #5
jago25_98
Zealot

Well I actually have an old x86 12" tablet with a better screen but I just don't use it. Why? Hard to say... It's just inconvenient compared to the ipad1mini. I have to charge it every day and the screen doesn't come on fast enough. So I tend to use the ipad1mini and even that I don't really enjoy reading on due to the LCD.
Also, you mentioned linux. Well, that's been a shame with the x86 tablet. I was hoping I could use that to revitalise the tablet into something more usable but proprietary power management killed that one and the screen won't rotate either. So I just use Win8 and the 2gb just makes it so laggy. A sad story of perfectly good enough tech killed by closed source b.s.

I should look into better sync for the ipad iOS9 that's light enough to be fast. I'm currently using Zoho Notebook and sometimes Google Drive but Google Drive is laggier.

Will Mirasol happen? Will screens get cheaper? I think so because there's a lot of use for them. The question might be whether another tech could get there before A4 sized eink is roughly as convenient to use as paper but with added tech benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I think eink is likely as good as it's getting. The screen is a high cost so I don't know if the 10" to 14" will get cheaper.
I'd like to be able to afford multiple sizes, or have a device that pulls out from A5 to A4 or longer. Technically possible.
Only some radically different tech can add colour or video (Mirasol seems to be over hyped, too high royalty and too expensive). LCD and OLED take too much power and lose the biggest advantage of eink, working with ambient light. I hate the front lights and only use them if there is a power cut or I'm stuck waiting for someone in the car after dark.

A 10" tablet seems to be minimum for a wide range of PDFs. Except battery life is poor on mine because it's x86-64 Intel Atom with 32 bit Win 10. I did try Debian on it which allowed 64 bit Linux, except you need a custom script or touch screen is wrong when you rotate I might try again if I need a lot of portable PDF reading.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post

Will Mirasol happen? Will screens get cheaper? I think so because there's a lot of use for them. The question might be whether another tech could get there before A4 sized eink is roughly as convenient to use as paper but with added tech benefit.
Mirasol won't happen, but a relatively cheap & fast 10" color e-paper with frontlight could, the very next summer.

CLEARink

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...294531&page=13

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote