Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
will_rose
will_rose began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo dictionary: No definition found

Hi,

I have a Kobo Mini N705. No matter what book I open or what word I select, the dictionary always comes up with "No definition found. Try another dictionary." I've tried uninstalling all the dictionaries and reinstalling the English one, but it doesn't help. Any help is much appreciated!

Some quick context:

I recently bought a second-hand Kobo Mini N705. It came to me factory reset, and I had problems getting anywhere with setup. I did some reading and it sounded like I had to do a firmware update. I followed the instructions at the links below, copied over the most up to date firmware (3.19.5761), and it seems to be working ok now. My Kobo library works fine and sideloaded books from the library also work, but the dictionary feature is broken.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=3
will_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While the newest official firmware might be 3.19.5761 it runs the same version of f/w as the Touch C / Glo / Aura HD (all members of the kobo4 hardware family), so 4.28.18220 is available from https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/f...4.28.18220.zip

There was a change to dictionary versions in 4.24.15676; I'm not sure what happens with older f/w downloading current dictionaries.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There is a list of links to the dictionaries in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931. The English dictionary is still there. You could try downloading that and manually installing it using the instructions in the third or forth link. If the Mini isn't downloading these, it probably means the link the older firmware uses is no longer valid. That was probably an indirect link via Akamai or something. They probably only have the current dictionaries available in that way.

But, I agree with @PeterT. Firmware 4.28 works on the Mini and has some improvements. If you don't particularly want the homepage that 3.19 has, I would suggest using the later firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:10 AM   #4
will_rose
will_rose began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to both of you. Updating the firmware solved the issue. I deleted all the dictionaries, updated the firmware, then added the dictionaries back in. It's working well, thanks!
will_rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kobo, mini