Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Grey Ram
Enthusiast
Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Firmware of PW3

Hi

I am a frequent reader at mobileread, I rarely post but now I have a good reason to.
My new Kindle PW3 arrived yesterday (Amazon.com.mx, free shippining in Mexico finally, yay!). It's not much an improvement over my former PW2 that I left on the bus; in my subjective impression it's slightly less bright and when reading in the dark the shadow cones at the bottom are more noticeable than I remember, but overall it's ok. I don't notice the higher resolution except as slightly crispier text.
Anyway, what strikes me as odd after the talk of the not yet available new firmware with the improved typesetting, is that my new PW3 has firmware 5.6.1.1, while the most recent firmware for the PW2 is 5.6.2.1
Can any of the PW3 owners tell me what firmware version they have? I'd like to know if this is a Mexico thing. I don't want to update just now, since a new version is supposedly coming, but I'm wondering if there will be problems when updating in the future.
Grey Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
New Paperwhite 3s are shipping with 5.6.1.1. My review unit is running 5.6.5, which is a beta version of the upcoming version which will have enhanced typesetting. I'd leave your unit where it is since I'm not sure how the PW2 version will act on your 3.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Do we have any indication of when the firmware will be released?
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. It'll show up when it shows up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terendel View Post
New Paperwhite 3s are shipping with 5.6.1.1. My review unit is running 5.6.5, which is a beta version of the upcoming version which will have enhanced typesetting. I'd leave your unit where it is since I'm not sure how the PW2 version will act on your 3.
The PW2 firmware will be flat-out rejected by the update mechanism, for exactly that reason.

Frankensteined firmware has only happened once, a long time ago, and with mixed success I believe. In general it is a terrible idea.
It also requires a lot of work by demented hackers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Grey Ram
Enthusiast
Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grey Ram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you

Ok, thanks for the info. I was just curious about the firmware version. I'll wait for the new version but I'm not too eager to upgrade until I know it's worth it.
Grey Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware update, kindle, pw3