Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any way to make my iPhone dimmer?

I read ebooks a lot in bed at night, very dark room (so my wife cannot sleep with any light on).

I found the lowest brightness setting of iPhone still gives quite bright in such dark room. I know most reader software have the option to have black background and white/yellow text; but I don't like it.

Is there any hack/software to further dim the light?

Thanks
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm the same with the white text on black - I don't like it either.

Which app are you using? I have the eReader app and the Stanza app, and both allow you to make significant, custom adjustments to the text/background colours. For instance, in Stanza I like the Old Parchment or Wood backgrounds - I find them much easier on the eyes. I note in eReader that you can select any colour in the palette from a colour wheel.

Are they the type of thing you're after, or have you used them and not found them useful?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Just a quick sidenote: On Stanza, it's possible to dim the screen just by swiping down onscreen.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

I use eReader, Stanza, and Kindle on my iPhone. Even I lower the brightness to its lowest (either swipe down in Stanza, or brightness setting in Setting), it is still too bright in a totally dark room.

So any possibility to make it dimmer?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Have you tried the Sepia background on Kindle for iPhone?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use the night mode and dimm that down (that's what I am doing)
Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What about setting the universal light to very low? (I have a Touch, but I assume it's the same on the iPhone). In Stanza, you can then fine-tune it. You can get it very low this way.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What about setting the universal light to very low? (I have a Touch, but I assume it's the same on the iPhone). In Stanza, you can then fine-tune it. You can get it very low this way.
Very very low indeed!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Very very low indeed!
In version 1 of the iPhone OS, you could turn down the universal light setting so low that you couldn't see the slider to turn it up again (I had to try, of course ). They fixed that in version 2, but it's still quite low. Low enough for the OP; I think!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks. Universal light setting is not low enough, but Stanza swiping down gives really low light. How to do it with other ereader?