Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-23-2021, 03:26 AM   #46
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Hello AuntiWiddershins. Wodehouse is great, but isn't Public Domain worldwide, so wouldn't be eligible. It looks as if we have suggestions to keep us going for several years already. I don't know the Buchclub, but assume it is within MR?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiWiddershins View Post
I enjoy reading anything by P. G. Wodehouse. He writes light comedy.

Also, I never tire of reading Robinson Crusoe, especially the first chapter where his father begs him not to go to sea and he just won't listen.

An easy/enjoyable russian author is Anton Chekhov, a travelling doctor, author of short stories.

Perhaps the salon could be reading recomendations.
I’m a huge Wodehouse fan! For several years now, I’ve been engaged in a personal challenge to read all of his works in order. I’ve now completed 65 and happy that he was so prolific, because it will be a sad day when I’m done. Although I suppose it will be a case of painting the Forth Bridge.

Chekhov’s short story The Bet seems especially apropos for readers.

Certainly the salon should include reading recommendations, anything bookish at all.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest H. G. Wells.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:19 AM   #49
AuntiWiddershins
AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AuntiWiddershins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo auraHD
I don't know the Buchclub, but assume it is within MR?[/QUOTE]
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336055
Buchclub is german language book recommendations and reading self-challenge in MR.
AuntiWiddershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #50
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest H. G. Wells.
I could go for that. The 1960 version of The Time Machine is one of my favorite films. I've wanted to read the book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I could go for that. The 1960 version of The Time Machine is one of my favorite films. I've wanted to read the book.
I'm up for reading The Time Machine. I've not read it in a rather long time. It's a very good book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #52
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
  • Germinal by Emile Zola
  • Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac
  • Something by Anthony Trollope, not from either of the six-book series

And how about A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe?
I'd love to read all these, too. I've only read one title each by three of those authors - The Unknown Masterpiece, The American Senator and Robinson Crusoe - and nothing yet by Zola.

Let us hope if we read A Journal of the Plague Year that, by whatever year we do, we can compare it to recently passed events rather than current ones!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #53
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm up for reading The Time Machine. I've not read it in a rather long time. It's a very good book.
I downloaded it today.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #54
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Would Moby Dick be considered a classic? I've started it several times but for some reason or other never finished it.

Crime and Punishment, Don Quixote, Daniel Deronda, most anything by Dickens (A Tale of Two Cities for sure), P.G. Wodehouse, and The Time Machine could get me on board.

I've read Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary and disliked both...a lot.

Last edited by CharlieBird; 04-26-2021 at 08:09 PM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #55
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Would Moby Dick be considered a classic? I've started it several times but for some reason or other never finished it.

Crime and Punishment, Don Quixote, Daniel Deronda, most anything by Dickens (A Tale of Two Cities for sure), P.G. Wodehouse, and The Time Machine could get me on board.

I've read Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary and disliked both...a lot.
Hello CharlieBird. Well, as this isn't a formal book club but more of an informal "buddy read", you may well want to join us when a book which interests you is next in line.

So, referring back to the first post, we are going to start with Daniel Deronda in mid May, and Don Quixote is slated towards the end of the year. We are going to see how we go with the first three books and if we decide to continue (which I hope we do) we shall be looking at the various suggestions for next year and maybe beyond that, though probably not trying to plan too far ahead.

So feel free to join us on 15 May when we start reading Daniel Deronda.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If anyone would rather read Daniel Deronda in hardcover, Amazon has a couple in stock starting at $228.79 with free shipping! Not a Prime item, though, and shipping takes 2 to 3 weeks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #57
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Hello CharlieBird. Well, as this isn't a formal book club but more of an informal "buddy read", you may well want to join us when a book which interests you is next in line.

So, referring back to the first post, we are going to start with Daniel Deronda in mid May, and Don Quixote is slated towards the end of the year. We are going to see how we go with the first three books and if we decide to continue (which I hope we do) we shall be looking at the various suggestions for next year and maybe beyond that, though probably not trying to plan too far ahead.

So feel free to join us on 15 May when we start reading Daniel Deronda.
I also see a lot of folks tossing around books they seem interested in reading now. The presence of the salon in no way prevents you from starting a thread in the Reading Recommendations to do a buddy read on any book you want to right now!

We are spending 2 months per title here, so it could well be years before we get around to that title you are ready to read. I just didn't want anyone to feel constrained by our pace or our selections.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Off the cuff, it seems to me that A Tale of Two Cities has had more mentions than any other single title, which has me a little bemused. It’s one, probably the only, Dickens that I’ve read that I’d have no interest in reading again. The whole business is sensational and everyone knows how it ends (the far, far better thing). Overall, an oddity for Dickens. But then, I loved Dickens’ other historical novel Barnaby Rudge and people don’t seem to think much of that one, so clearly my tastes are aberrant.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #59
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's been a long while, but the main thing that sticks in my memory about A Tale of Two Cities was that it seemed to go on far too long, it's definitely not on my list to re-read. Another that fits that description was Hard Times. I don't think I've read Barnaby Rudge so at least it would be one I'd be interested in reading some time (not just now).

If people were considering some Dickens you could do worse than some of his non-fiction works, that way you might (perhaps) mange to strike on one that less people had already read. I enjoyed American Notes, which given the mixed audience here might generate some interesting conversation, but I also found The Uncommercial Traveller and A Child's History of England to be interesting.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #60
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I misunderstood that the first three books were declared and not still in the proposal stage.

I started Daniel Deronda last night and will be on board for Don Quixote and anything by Dickens. Ashamed to say I've never read anything by him except A Tale of Two Cities in high school many years ago and why I'd be ready to read it again.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote