Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Is there a way to stop warning messages?

Since I've been buying most books from Amazon lately, the azw3 conversion to epub leaves many books with the number of the chapter split apart from the title and text of the same chapter. Which means merging 2 files for every single chapter, which isn't bad if there's only 20 or so, but super annoying when you're hitting 50 or more chapters. It's tedious to fix, but that extra message that pops up ("Are you sure you want to merge the selected files? This action cannot be reversed.") makes it much worse.

I'm hoping there's a setting I'm missing somewhere that will turn off those types of warnings, or even per message type. I'm using the current version, 1.4.3 (at least I think it's the most current).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Try using Kindleunpack instead of converting to epub from azw3 using whatever approach you are using.

There is no way to turn that merge warning message off.

That said you could easily merge all chapters into one big file all at once *after* using Find and Replace to insert Sigil Split Markers were you want the actual splits to be. Then do a Split At Markers.

So only one warning message generated.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-11-2020 at 02:55 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for those ideas. I'll give both of those a try next time I run into a book where that happens. It actually might be some easy setting within Calibre as well to avoid that split in the first place.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It actually might be some easy setting within Calibre as well to avoid that split in the first place.
You need to look at your settings for calibre's Convert > Structure detection > Detect chapters at for the books where the 2 parts of a heading get split into separate pages.

"One-size-fits-all" definitely doesn't apply to this setting. It sounds like you may be using an original default which is just not appropriate for these books.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Azw3 (kf8) books typically already are split into chapters unlike the older mobi 6 format.
Does calibre resplit already split files on conversion of azw3/kf8 to epub and if so why?
Advert
Old 12-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You need to look at your settings for calibre's Convert > Structure detection > Detect chapters at for the books where the 2 parts of a heading get split into separate pages.

"One-size-fits-all" definitely doesn't apply to this setting. It sounds like you may be using an original default which is just not appropriate for these books.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

And there's an Epub output setting for file split on page break.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I just tried using the KindleUnpack plugin on the book I just finished cleaning up, and it turned out perfectly... no oddball splitting of pages at all, and the rest of the book also turned out better with proper indents and spacing.

I wish I had posted before I finished the current book! Thank you again for the tips.

Edit: And I noticed the 2 additional posts after I posted. I'll double check my Calibre settings as suggested.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-11-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: To add response to new posts
Old 12-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Calibre's great strength is that it can convert from almost any format to almost any other format, but it does this by converting all formats to an intermediate internal format and back out. This can and does have an impact (and mainly for the good). But if you want to see the azw3 in as close to original format as possible when converted to an epub (especially as it may have started life as an epub) I would try with KindleUnpack first and only clean it up if it has some difficulties.

That is why kindleunpack was created in the first place. It when used with kindlegen can make epub -> mobi -> epub -> mobi ... tweaking and polishing possible.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
When it comes to the Calibre KindleUnpack plugin: a KindleBook in the KF8 format is the only thing that will produce an epub. Since the vast majority of those are created from epubs, the resulting epub is likely to be already split up into reasonably sane chapter files. There are some KF8 books that might have been created from a source other than an epub, but those will typically come out of the KindleUnpack plugin as an epub with one monolithic xhtml file that can then be split afterwards. But they're getting fairly rare.

The Calibre KindleUnpack plugin won't create an epub from an old-school mobi-format KindleBook at all. The Sigil KindleImport plugin will try.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

After doing more testing, I've decided KindleUnpack is the way to go from now on for when I run into this problem. The formatting just turns out much nicer without doing any clean up.

In Calibre under Structure Detection, I finally just entirely cleared the boxes for both "Detect chapters at" and "Insert page break before" and then Calibre's epub at least had the number on the same page with the title and text. The chapter number uses h2, and then h1 is used for the chapter title, and I'll bet that reversal is common for the books where I run into this problem.

But there are other issues that Calibre does where I'd have to tweak the stylesheet to fix, you can see in the screenshots. The chapter number is off center; the size of the first letter and its alignment is off as well. KindleUnpack doesn't have those issues.

So it's going to be KindleUnpack for me for those azw3 books that give me any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Conversion.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	183925   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleUnpack.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	183926  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
After doing more testing, I've decided KindleUnpack is the way to go from now on for when I run into this problem. The formatting just turns out much nicer without doing any clean up.

In Calibre under Structure Detection, I finally just entirely cleared the boxes for both "Detect chapters at" and "Insert page break before" and then Calibre's epub at least had the number on the same page with the title and text. The chapter number uses h2, and then h1 is used for the chapter title, and I'll bet that reversal is common for the books where I run into this problem.

But there are other issues that Calibre does where I'd have to tweak the stylesheet to fix, you can see in the screenshots. The chapter number is off center; the size of the first letter and its alignment is off as well. KindleUnpack doesn't have those issues.

So it's going to be KindleUnpack for me for those azw3 books that give me any issues.
That's a mistake. You should be going with KindleUnpack for all KF8 eBooks except for those that are a major mess and conversion might be better. Self-published authors can make a right mess of their eBooks sometimes. Converting with KindleUnpack will work better for most KF8 eBooks. So don't convert when you can shift and have the code that's in the KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote