Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Rapidi
Rapidi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy News send - Memory error

For a few years I had Calibre send my New York Times subscription automatically to my Kindle. I stopped, but now want to do this again. But even though the NYT downloads as it should, when Calibre attempts to automatically send it to my Kindle Paperwhite it fails and gives me a "MemoryError." I have successfully sent the NYT manually to my device, so the email settings are correct. I also have my Paperwhite as my default device and the automatic send box checked. The NYT is typically around 30MB. Any suggestions?
Rapidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Rapidi

I discovered the problem. The news items were too large for Gmail, which allows 25MB attachments. I switched to gmx mail, which allows larger attachments, supposedly 50MB, but after testing items of varying sizes, I a, limited to under 40MB. I was mistaken that my NYT files were around 30MB. They are actually just over 40MB.

So...is there a way to reduce the size of the NYT?
Advert
Old 11-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Edit the recipe and remove what you dont want downloaded from it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Rapidi

Thanks! From another post on a similar issue I assumed this was what was needed. I just need to learn how to retrieve the recipe and edit it. Calibre is awesome!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Rapidi

Hello. I sat down at the computer this morning to edit the NYT feed as you suggested. I noticed that the NYT downloaded today was 25.9MB. It failed to send automatically to my Kindle. I tried to send it manually, but that was unsuccessful as well.

I tried sending a book to the Kindle that is 36.9MB. It did send successfully.

I then tested the news feed with a smaller news source, 7.6MB. It sent to my Kindle automatically. So the news feed itself works.

I am using gmx mail with a 50MB attachment limit. As I understand it, Amazon has the same attachment limitation.

Why would a 36.9MB book send manually to the Kindle, but a 25.9 news file will not send either automatically or manually? Any suggestions?
Advert
Old 11-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nope. Look at the job log for why sending of the email failed, if sending actually failed. More likely amazon's servers discarded the mail for reasons known only to them.

Just use USB, or connect directly to the content server and download the file from there on your kindle. Going through amazons servers for news is a crapshoot, not to mention that it destroys all the periodical specific features from the delivered file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Rapidi

Actually, I owe you an apology. I should have tried editing the recipe first. I found a forum discussion about how to reduce the size of the NYT and used everything suggested. It is amazingly now just 9.5MB and emailed automatically just fine. I thought since the original file of 25MB this morning was so well under the gmx limit that it should have worked. It appeared I was limited to 40 or below (see above) My guess is you are exactly right, the problem lies with Amazon. THANKS!

Tags
automatic send, memory error, news