Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Questions about emailing ebooks to Amazon account

In another thread, the recommendation for gaining easy access to non-Amazon ebooks from a Kindle was to email the ebooks to ones Amazon account, where they'd become available to all Kindles on that account.

I have a few questions
  1. Is there an account-level email address to send to, or does any address associated with any Kindle do?
  2. What format is best to send? MOBI, AZW3, Combined or ePub? Or something else?
  3. How much storage is available for ebooks sent in this way?
  4. Is it possible to update or delete/resend documents sent in this way?
  5. Do the books appear in the same list as books purchased from Amazon on a Kindle? Or is there a separate list?

Thanks!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have a few questions
[LIST="1"][*] Is there an account-level email address to send to, or does any address associated with any Kindle do?
There is an email address associated with each of your Kindles which is shown in the "Your Devices" tab of the "Manage Your Content and Devices" page of your Amazon account.

Quote:
What format is best to send? MOBI, AZW3, Combined or ePub? Or something else?
You can't send AZW3. You can send either "old" Mobi or "Combined" Mobi. Personally I'd send the latter. This will then download as old/new Mobi depending on the device or app.

Quote:
How much storage is available for ebooks sent in this way?
It's unlimited, but with a caveat that Amazon could restrict it if you abuse it. I've not heard of anyone being limited.

Quote:
Is it possible to update or delete/resend documents sent in this way?
Delete it from the "Manage Your Content and Devices" page of your Amazon account, and then re-send it. I'm not sure if you can simply overwrite it re-sending it. You probably can, but I haven't tried.

Quote:
Do the books appear in the same list as books purchased from Amazon on a Kindle? Or is there a separate list?
Same list, but they will show up as a "Personal Document", not a "Book", so you can separate them that way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... I wonder is a couple of thousand books would be abusing the system...

Now that B&N have gone away, it would be nice to have (most of) my Fictionwise purchases available from an on-line presence again.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think that would be a problem. Many people have multi-GB libraries on Amazon.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Is there an account-level email address to send to, or does any address associated with any Kindle do?
There is only a per-device email address, but if you have chosen to archive your sent PDOCs, they will be available from the Cloud/Archived Items/whatever-Amazon calls-it-these-days tab on all your other devices, in addition to being queued for that specific device.

Quote:
What format is best to send? MOBI, AZW3, Combined or ePub? Or something else?
Amazon doesn't support EPUB conversion, last I checked, but who cares, calibre can do it instead.

Between MOBI and dual-MOBI, it depends on whether you value reading in AZW3 on supported devices, versus seeing the cover thumbnail in cover view (MOBI-only due to a bizarre unfixed Amazon bug).

Quote:
Is it possible to update or delete/resend documents sent in this way?
Delete and resend. Amazon's intake processes add a random ASIN from the PDOC namespace to all books, and they will show up as two documents. If you don't mind the duplication, feel free to skip step #1.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Thanks, both. The switch for archiving or not is described here. It seems I have it turned on already. Now all I need to do is try it out.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Also, you may want to install the Send To Kindle app on your Mac or Windows machine. It's better than using email, as you can edit the Title/Author (which may otherwise get mangled) choose whether to archive or not, and the file size limit is 50MB instead of whatever attachment limit you may have with email.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You can't overwrite a book already sent. If you send a later version you just have two copies in the cloud. I have over 500 personal docs on my account.

Mine are all mobi as I need to have the cover

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks both for confirming that you can't overwrite a book in the Cloud. Something I hadn't tried doing.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks both for confirming that you can't overwrite a book in the Cloud. Something I hadn't tried doing.
What I found too, just saves anoher copy of the book, You can see the difference in th dates that they were uploaded then delete the older one.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Also, you may want to install the Send To Kindle app on your Mac or Windows machine. It's better than using email, as you can edit the Title/Author (which may otherwise get mangled) choose whether to archive or not, and the file size limit is 50MB instead of whatever attachment limit you may have with email.
Thank you! An excellent idea.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #12
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
What I found too, just saves anoher copy of the book, You can see the difference in th dates that they were uploaded then delete the older one.
Yes. I try to delete unwanted old variant copies from "Manage Your Content and Devices" to avoid confusion.

But there seems to be a bug. Remove from device only works for a few hours (on the Kindle originally emailed to) and then the Doc is back again and even a delete from "Manage Your Content and Devices" doesn't stop this behaviour.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Yes. I try to delete unwanted old variant copies from "Manage Your Content and Devices" to avoid confusion.

But there seems to be a bug. Remove from device only works for a few hours (on the Kindle originally emailed to) and then the Doc is back again and even a delete from "Manage Your Content and Devices" doesn't stop this behaviour.
If they are docs then you have to remove first from the device then from the MYCAD.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Quote:
In another thread, the recommendation for gaining easy access to non-Amazon ebooks from a Kindle was to email the ebooks to ones Amazon account, where they'd become available to all Kindles on that account.

I have a few questions
You might want to check out my conclusion-and-summary post here (and perhaps the whole related thread); I had a very similar set of questions a few weeks back.
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've always worried about sending files I'd originally received as ePub, then stripped DRM. Would Amazon be checking for books it knows that should be digitally encrypted? From what people have said here, it doesn't sound like it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote