Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Must have audiobooks

Just want some ideas, perhaps by genre. Would also be excellent to hear if people have enjoyed audiobooks over literature

Last edited by uppon2; 01-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Interesting. Probably top of the list would be the Harry Potter books (I have the Jim Dale version). I would argue that to a certain extent, they are the books that launched audio books into the big leagues. If you are a fantasy fan, then next would be The Lord of the Rings audio books with Rob Inglis.

Kind of interesting, I went back and looked at my audibook collection to get an idea of what I had. Prior to starting on audible in 2006, I had about twenty audio book CDs, including the Harry Potter books that had come out at the time, the LOTR books, the Chronicles of Narnia, the first several of the Dresden series and a number of non fiction.

The ones that I have that I consider the best -

Harry Potter series
Dresden Series
LOTR Series
Monster Hunter Series by Larry Correa.
Honor Harrington Series by David Weber

I listen to mostly SF&F and non fiction.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
The Wheel of Time series has set the top standard for me, when it comes to audiobook narration, without being a full cast. Epic fantasy if that is your thing.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In November, I listened to the full cast version of Ender's Game. It was really good. Well worth the listen even if you've read the book before.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
These are favorites of mine:

Fiction
The Blood of Flowers: A Novel
Behind the Scenes at the Museum
The Great Gatsby (my version was narrated by Anthony Heald)
The Kitchen House: A Novel
Ketchup Clouds

Non-Fiction
Don't Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World
All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
Polio: An American Story
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I love listening to Stephen Fry and he's just come out with his third biography.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
uppon2
Connoisseur

That gives me plenty of selection. I love all of the Harry Potter books and also the Darren Shan Saga. I have not read or heard of a lot of the titles mentioned, so that's a bonus. You guys have mentioned the exact things I would like too! Thank you and feel free to keep then coming. Luckily, I have a rather broad taste in film, music and literature. I remember reading a book series called 'Crimebusters: The three investigators' when I was a young teenager and they were awesome. I think I enjoy adventure the most and then fantasy/SF that is not too far fetched to the point of disassociation of realism.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
uppon2
Connoisseur

I think autobiographies read by the actual person would be cool.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In November, I listened to the full cast version of Ender's Game. It was really good. Well worth the listen even if you've read the book before.
I can only agree with this.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Interesting. Probably top of the list would be the Harry Potter books (I have the Jim Dale version).
I'd prefer the Stephen Fry versions myself.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (narrated by the author)
The Lord of the Rings (Rob Inglis)
A Song of Ice and Fire by Roy Dotrice (I only have the first three by him, the fourth is by John Lee, but I haven't heard that one...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The entire Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. Read by either Patrick Tull or Simon Vance. (Both are excellent. I happen to prefer Patrick Tull, but there are those here who prefer Simon Vance.)

There are 20 books in the series which cover the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Forget any preconceptions you may have, and just enjoy these books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Science Fiction --- H. Beam Piper's _Little Fuzzy_ from Librivox --- the reader has a lovely voice (I wish she'd do more) and impeccable pronounciation and a nice awareness of grammar and word usage.

I really enjoyed Roger Zelazny's (abridged) readings of his Amber Chronicles --- I had it on cassette though, and it doesn't seem to've made the transition to the digital age.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For crime fiction fans I've found the later Rebus novels by Ian Rankin excellent.

Have also enjoyed John le Carre more as audio books than the written versions.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The entire Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. Read by either Patrick Tull or Simon Vance. (Both are excellent. I happen to prefer Patrick Tull, but there are those here who prefer Simon Vance.)

There are 20 books in the series which cover the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Forget any preconceptions you may have, and just enjoy these books.
This gets a hearty second from me, of course.

I pretty much was forced to start this series at virtual gunpoint. Ah, what I had missed all those years! But it doubly worked to my advantage, as I have the pleasure of them now and they came at a time when I was open to trying audiobooks. In fact, the second book of the series was my first audiobook and what a wonderful introduction to the pleasures of listening.

As good as the books are to read, they're an even better listen. Pure enjoyment.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Thanks; I forgot about this series. I think I might start it this year. A quick check finds all 21 books available at my libraries. So cost will be zero.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote