Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DX, Hanvon C18 and Sony Dpt-S1
Question Benq eye care screens vs pixel qi indoors vs OLED?

Hello,

If anyone has tried any of those, what is your feedback about the EYE FATIGUE caused by these screens?

Thanks.
Heba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I have only tried OLED, and it is excellent to read on in dim and dark environments. But for me black on white does not work well with OLED - too bright and if dimmed not enough contrast. White text on black backround is much better in the dark. Best option (to my eyes) is red text on black background on OLED. Even better option yet for me is eink with fronlight and a more pleasant looking black on white on my paperwhite.

As for eye fatique there is no complaints - about the same for either light text on black background on OLED or frontlit eink. I fall asleep before I would have to give up reading because my eyes got too fatiqued.

Edit: In bright indoors oled is acceptable if you can hold the device for no glare. Outdoors in bright light OLED is unacceptable to even try to read for me. Thus I don't read on OLED no more, but use eink instead.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 08-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Heba
Connoisseur
Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Heba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Up, any other thoughts?

and thanks, DuckieTigger
Old 11-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Up, any other thoughts?

and thanks, DuckieTigger
Ah yes. I have an update for you. I am no longer reading on eink since I got my new phone - a Note 4. Apparently size and quality of the screen matters a lot. Now my phone is big enough at 5.7" to be useable as main reader. The extra sharpness over my PW is so huge that in comparison the fonts on the PW look a bit washed out or blurry. Before it was not that comfortable to read for extended periods on my old phone due to smallish size of the screen (5" S4). Sure, the Note 4 is still smaller (about the same height as the PW, but much narrower because of widescreen on phone), but not so small any more (to me) to be limiting. I read a lot in dim light or darkness, so I still prefer black background which is very nice and deep black (no light) on OLED. The text lately is white though, since the Kindle App (only app I use to read on phone) only has white text choice. Compared to the S4 the screen goes dimmer at low settings and much brighter at full brightness. I doubt it has anything to do with the increased resolution, but just a newer technology OLED.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Heba
Connoisseur

thanks again
Advert