Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
trevend
trevend began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Curious: Kobo Touch skins

Out of curiosity, has anyone applied any sort of skin to their Kobo Touch?

I'm curious primarily because my Kobo Touch (and I assume all others?) has a matte, diamond textured back that doesn't seem like it would do very well at all with an adhesive that might go well on another device with solid glossy/plastic backing.

I was specifically looking at adhesive skins for protection and customization at gelaskins.com, if anyone has any experience. I think I'll have to settle for JUST a cover on this one...

Thank you for your thoughts.
trevend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
themikeyt
themikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of light

I just ordered one a few days ago. I will let you know.
themikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
trevend

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
I put a gelaskin on my Kobo a couple of weeks ago and I love it. You don't lose the textured backing, the grip with the skin on is still good, it offers good protection from scratches ect....and hey...it looks good.

Definitely worth it if you ask me.

Jeff
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
trevend

The panel is sheer enough to get into all those contours without issue? The adhesive will permit it, as well?
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Grumpy2906
Grumpy2906 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevend View Post
The panel is sheer enough to get into all those contours without issue? The adhesive will permit it, as well?
Yes, I got one also and it's perfect.
Grumpy2906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevend View Post
Yeah I was actually quite surprised how well it fit into all the contours on the back of the device but it does fit perfectly into all of them with no effort.

Jeff
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
trevend

Ah, wonderful, thank you for your help.

I had read on another thread that the skins do not encompass the front of the unit. Is this true?

Again, thank you.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
trevend

Ah, nevermind. Apparently it does wrap all the way around. Excellent.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
immsm
I'll never grow up.
immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch edition
I put a GelaSkin on my Touch I had custom made from a photograph I had taken. Here is what it looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/immsm/5...in/photostream I actually like it better than the original black finish that showed every fingerprint and smudge.
immsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by immsm View Post
I put a GelaSkin on my Touch I had custom made from a photograph I had taken. Here is what it looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/immsm/5...in/photostream I actually like it better than the original black finish that showed every fingerprint and smudge.
nice i have the same sleeve and a similar shot i took of a ferris wheel spinning as well, no i'm not skinning mine with the wheel but i do have to sort through a bazillion pics to decide what to skin with.

need to be extremely picky since it'll be something i see all the time.

thanks for the pic as well, i can finally see what a skin looks like on the kobo rather than the graphic on gelaskin.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Uncle Ned
Uncle Ned began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Another recommendation for the Gelaskin. I bought a blue Touch and it got grubby quickly. The skin is easier to keep clean.

The back is super easy to put on and provides a nice grip. I had issues getting a nice straight fit at the top of the front; so it's a little crooked. Probably more of a comment about my impatience than the skin itself.
Uncle Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
Another recommendation here for Gelaskin. It includes cover for both front and back of the touch which is great. I've had Gelaskin for all three kobo's that I have had. They have lots of different ones...plus you can design your own.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/table...n/Most_Popular

I note they are sale right now.
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Jeff1192
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ned View Post
Another recommendation for the Gelaskin. I bought a blue Touch and it got grubby quickly. The skin is easier to keep clean.
This is another advantage that I hadn't thought of originally. My KT is black and I found that it often showed finger marks around the edges and it really bugged me. With the Gelaskin it always looks nice and clean!

Jeff
Old 08-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
There are great looking skins available at Gelaskin. I am used to reading with solid color frames. I wonder if you guys find the patterns distractive when reading?
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote