Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
But.. But.. The folks on Stormfront thinks it's great..
I just looked up the Kindle edition reviews a while ago. I only saw two of them there. One was 5 stars, and one was 1 star. I honestly don't think those reviews were there when I bought the book, because I usually do at least glance at reviews before I buy, and 2 reviews aren't a lot to go through. I didn't look at the paperback reviews, apparently. (I suppose I must have bought it while I was on my Kindle.)

Anything that Stormfront likes (aside from maybe ice cream) should be avoided at all costs.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Any thing by Chuck Palahniuk is on my do not ead list. I did try to read 3.
Still another pace another time maybe.
I am a big fan of Simon R. Green (Nightside) but on starting the last nightside my reaction was 'Oh no here we go again'
Tried another series and my reaction was much the same. Been there done that.
No doubt I will read thm and enjoy them next year.
Thisz week I am reding books by unknown to me authors, both a blsesing and a curse. Kind of like a sorbet before you eat, either refreshes your palate or is the best part of the meal
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Oh, I've read so many bad books. Most of them not even worth mentioning.

The worst "big" book I can think of right now is the second of Jean M Auel books about Ayla. I read it back when it was new and "everyone" were reading the series. Wow, what a load of ****. I had been given the first 3 books as a present. Managed to get through the first two, but never opened the third and swore I'd never touch anything from her again. And now that her new one is out I find I have to bite my tongue many times to not offend friends who have waited and looked forward to the release.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I had to read Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth for an American Humor lit course. I couldn't find anything remotely funny in it (neither did most of my classmates). It's just one long complaint.

Since secondary school I also hated A Tale of Two Cities and Wuthering Heights thanks to the way we were taught reading skills. We had to read those short books, the easier ones were purpose written but the advanced level ones were basically short summaries (20-30 pages including drawings) of classics. I had to read both of these books and I didn't understand anything of it, especially A Tale of Two Cities was confusing. Which isn't that strange considering both books are 500+ pages in paperback. I only got two fails for literature tests ever and that were for those two book.

I've read Wuthering Heights for a lit course and although I didn't love I did like it. I still haven't read A Tale of Two Cities yet, I want to but I just keep remembering that horribly confusing book and that puts me off starting the actual book.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I was really excited about the new Jean M Auel book Land of the Painted Caves. I have to say it was a total waste of money and it just seemed to stumble around in the dark and it went on and on.

I really enjoyed the first 3 books but after that they just got worse with each book. It was like torture. I didn't even bother finishing it...
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling I actually picked this book to read for a class in high school and was absolutely bored out of my mind. Granted it was published 250 years ago, but I simply could not drag myself through it. Extremely tedious.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Return of the Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Jude the Obscure (Hardy). Finished it, but it's one of those books that was (to me at least) so damn depressing that you want to lock the firearms away for a few days till you get over it.
As deadly as Jude was, Return of the Native was worse, if only by a hair. I forced myself to finish that one. I'm still wondering why.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I'm reading The Mayor of Casterbridge at the moment. It is my first T. Hardy but I'm enjoying it.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #24
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If you think a mother gleefully giving her daughter a packet of cocaine as a "Sweet 16" gift is kewl ... or being a heterosexual who leads a vulnerable lesbian on, knowing there's absolutely no possibility of a relationship, is fine, you might be able to get into Her Last Death.

Me? I thought this memoir was sensationalist dreck.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
These may not be the worst I read but they are ones I remember sort of. Disliked books must flee from my brain.

John Ringo ... forgot the title.
Charles Stross ... forgot the title.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Charles Stross ... forgot the title.
Bet it's Saturn's Children.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #27
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Bet it's Saturn's Children.
Sounds right. The one about the sex droid?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #28
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
One of the worst books that sticks in my memory is Pattern of Behavior by Paul Bishop. This book was trite stinker. They really go too easy on authors with a badge.

The worst of last year was Anyone You Want Me to Be. Again, they go too easy on "writers" with badges. I bet the cop that relayed this story to the ghostwriter has had a lot of innocent people sent to prison. The book was more appalling just thinking of that rather than the subject at hand.

The worst of this year: I Drink for a Reason by David Cross. I tried to venture into some humor reading and this was a huge disappointment. In its place, I can highly recommend Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #29
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Have you read The Passage? Best. Post-apocalyptic. Ever.
Since that spot on my list currently goes to Earth Abides, I'm going to have to read this one. By Justin Cronin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I have to agree except I would give 1 star rating to the entire Rain Wild Series. When I read the books, my first thought was she must be desperate for money.
That's fair. I gave the first book two stars ("it was ok") and noted, "Long, rambling, boring. The characters were one-dimensional with one-dimensional motivations and it was too easy to see through the flimsy conflict the author tried to set up." Probably deserved one star, but I desperately wanted to read anything about the Elderlings.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Worst books I ever read.... let me see
(In no particular order)
Atlas Shrugged & The fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Next and State of Fear by Michael Crichton
A time to kill by John Grisham
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Diary of a Bad Year by J. M. Coetzee
A Time to Die by Wilbur Smith (This is a special one - convinced me of never reading anything by him again)
Op-Center: Acts of War by Tom Clancy

OMG - It seems I've read so much rubbish.... I will better stop here before I am seriously depressed.

Last edited by Pablo; 04-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote