Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
drago
Enthusiast
drago began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, BrokenfirstgeniLiad
How about porting a dictionary?

The thing I miss most on my Illiad is a dictionary. It is a wonderful tool for language learning, I read lots of texts on it in a variety of languages.
Now that an Fbreader port is imminent (respect and gratitude to adamb!!!) I just can't help hoping for a dictionary.
I believe stardict would be a likely candidate.
http://stardict.sourceforge.net/index.php

Would someone take a look at this, and enlighten us on the chances of this happening?

Thanks.

Drago
drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago
(respect and gratitude to adamb!!!)
Remember -- nothing says "good job, thanks" like karma.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I took a look, and tried to compile. The problem with this program is that it relies on the Gnome library. To build this, I'll basically have to build all of Gnome for the iLiad. That would take *a lot* of time, and may or may not end up working.

Edit: Looks like I can compile it without gnome support. I'll keep you posted on what I can do.

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-19-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Mobipocket reader has dictionary support (you typically have to buy the dictionaries). However it isn't implemented on the PepperPad (which also uses Mobipocket's Java-based version), so it might ot might not be available for iLiad Mobipocket.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Stardict seems to be a really nice program....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stardict.png
Views:	554
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	2954  
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Such a t-e-a-s-e !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
drago
Enthusiast

Congratulations Adam B.!

I can hardly belive my eyes, but it seems you just turned the illiad into the ultimate tool for language learning. If this really works it will be more than magic, it will be something totally unbeleivable.

Check the
http://sdict.com/en/
page for all the dictionary bases as well as wikipedias for this program and weep.

The possibilities are endless...

What a feat!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Such a t-e-a-s-e !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I like keeping you guys updated on my progress, and there's no better way than screenshots.

The program works pretty well without modification. I'll need to update some things for the screen refresh, but it should be a good tool with an easy install.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago
Congratulations Adam B.!

I can hardly belive my eyes, but it seems you just turned the illiad into the ultimate tool for language learning. If this really works it will be more than magic, it will be something totally unbeleivable.

Check the
http://sdict.com/en/
page for all the dictionary bases as well as wikipedias for this program and weep.

The possibilities are endless...

What a feat!!!
Holy s***t! This looks great! Too many pages of english dictionaries to even browse! Wikipedia in all languages! Amazing! Gotta check this out -- I am downloading the program and some dictionaries right now!

How come I didn't know about this before? I've even tried googling for dictionaries before... weird
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's a shame that narve feels too shy to let us know what he really feels about things.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Brilliant!

Hey, I know the iLiad is supposed to support Chinese handwriting recognition, as well. Has anyone tried it? One of the things I can see doing with this program is allowing for Chinese character lookup. Kind of like PlecoDict, which I use on my Palm all the time.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Software is available to download: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10080

Wow, 3 hours from conception to working model. I think that's a record.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
drago
Enthusiast

Words fail me, you're my hero... Googling to find the suitable aplication took some time too, but this is really a record. And a wonderfull demonstration of the power of open source.

Two thumbs up! Way up indeed!

Now I'll have to ask for the shell hack. This and your fbreader really proves the time has come for Irex to seriously think about implementing their promissed aplication install via ids.

Thanks man.

Drago
Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It's a shame that narve feels too shy to let us know what he really feels about things.
Yes. Shy is my middle name, indeed
narve is offline   Reply With Quote