Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #16
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I only have one user on my shitlist and for a while, all was good. He went away. But somehow he's back and his avatars annoy me, for some reason.
(I tried settling things by PN but said user sees no need, hence my first use of this fine feature)

I'd reduce the entire ignored thread to a minimum. Just keep the username and the date posted, get rid of everything else.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
There's loads of neat things you can do, that I'm only just discovering.

Turning off signatures, which I've just started doing so I don't have to see any more religious quotes, oversized images and sales pitches.

USER CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options

Ignoring a whole thread (highly useful when a sub-forum has been rendered pointless by opportunists and shills)

USER CP > Edit Optons > Miscellaneous Options

And finally, so you never have to see another bloody animated gif or rotating buy-my-book avatar. Turn off avatars.

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #18
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

Turning off signatures, which I've just started doing so I don't have to see any more religious quotes, oversized images and sales pitches.

Thanks for that one - some sigs were really beginning to chuff me off.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #19
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Thanks for that one - some sigs were really beginning to chuff me off.
Yeah, me too, and I don't like the idea of reporting people behind their backs, so this is a much better option. No more stupid sigs (including my own ) Do the avatar one as well, because the number of horrible blinking gifs and advertising avatars is increasing steadily.

I should make a correction though, the ignore forums bit is only ignoring them from searches and from the new posts indicator thingy-me-bob.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Thanks for the pointer MJ. I hope we can soon add some Wiki tutorials to give a better overview what is possible here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #21
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Thanks for the pointer MJ. I hope we can soon add some Wiki tutorials to give a better overview what is possible here.
No problems With certain options turned on or off you can shape the experience you have at MR toward a more positive end. Ignore the right kind of users and you'll not end up in silly arguments that leave everybody angry. Turn off sigs and avatars and you don't have to deal with exactly the kind of sneaky spam that a lot of writers, for some reason, believe it is okay to push on others (plus it gets rid of all the religious gumpf )

I don't know if it's available yet, or I haven't found it, but I'd like to completely ignore some threads (deals and freebies, writers' corner being the first that spring to mind). I'll do some more poking about.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Yes you can ignore users, individual threads as well as entire forum sections.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #23
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

I don't know if it's available yet, or I haven't found it, but I'd like to completely ignore some threads (deals and freebies, writers' corner being the first that spring to mind). I'll do some more poking about.
I think an 'ignore threads' option was implemented recently
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #24
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I have used this and it works very well. Not even the heading is visible.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Yes you can ignore users, individual threads as well as entire forum sections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
i can see the Forum Exclusion portion which states:

You may choose to exclude forums from your New Post searches and from Last Forum Activity on the frontpage.

But I'm at a loss as to where you can just omit a whole forum/sub-forum. I click on Writers' Corner and Deals Freebies and hit the save button, but they're both still there when I go to the forums. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The ignore threads is a bit 'after the fact' for me, but I can see how it is very useful.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I have used this and it works very well. Not even the heading is visible.
You will see a message though! When the ignored thread has been updated last in the forum, you'll see it when you are on the parent forum
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i can see the Forum Exclusion portion which states:

You may choose to exclude forums from your New Post searches and from Last Forum Activity on the frontpage.

But I'm at a loss as to where you can just omit a whole forum/sub-forum. I click on Writers' Corner and Deals Freebies and hit the save button, but they're both still there when I go to the forums. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The ignore threads is a bit 'after the fact' for me, but I can see how it is very useful.
Those options are for the "New Posts" function. I don't see new posts from those forum when I want to see if there are new posts that might interest me.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #28
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Those options are for the "New Posts" function. I don't see new posts from those forum when I want to see if there are new posts that might interest me.
I don't use the new posts functions or subscribe to threads, so it's a bit of a washout for me. I'm not complaining, I can just ignore those forums myself, or maybe there's a greasemonkey script for it? In any case, it'd be cool if the forums weren't there at all when you came to the front page. (Trotsky is rolling over in his grave about this one )
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't use the new posts functions or subscribe to threads, so it's a bit of a washout for me. I'm not complaining, I can just ignore those forums myself, or maybe there's a greasemonkey script for it? In any case, it'd be cool if the forums weren't there at all when you came to the front page. (Trotsky is rolling over in his grave about this one )
I've been primarly using the New Posts function for the last month. It's helped a lot! There are just too many forums to keep track of...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #30
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've been primarly using the New Posts function for the last month. It's helped a lot! There are just too many forums to keep track of...
I pretty much only visit the Lounge, General Discussion and News (at least that's my perception) and for a time I liked visiting Writers' Corner also. Deals and freebies is mainly pointless because I won't buy anything with DRM or with restrictive and unenforceable licenses and I'm not looking for hardware. I very rarely visit any other part of the site, so I don't really use or need the New Posts function.

Again, I'm not complaining or asking for new features. With sigs and avatars turned off, some users ignored and keeping myself away from forums that annoy me, I'm pretty much set.