Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If your wishlist was at B&N, 90% would be eReader if not more.
K I have found when downloading books, adding
Code:
&mediaProfile=epub
to the end of the URL will sometimes give me an EPUB, sometimes even when the BN reader gives an eReader doc.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
This is disappointing news. It is a good thing that I went on buying sprees during those sales.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
The Fictionwise Buywise Club progam has been discontinued. We thank you for you patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you.

- The Fictionwise Team
Well that sucks. I hope they have something else in the works.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've been thinking about the upcoming changes in the last couple of weeks. Slowly, I'm beginning to find more and more books on B&N.com that are not available at Fictionwise. Got only the curt "stock" answer when I asked why.

I've been wondering if Fictionwise will simply stop offering ebooks from the publishers following the Agency model.

If that's true, it wouldn't really be necessary for them to do away with the Buywise Club, though. It's likely it's as BOb said - they're just looking forward to the time with Fictionwise (and eReader) disappear and B&N.com is the only choice.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Wow...surprised they didn't even send out emails about this (runs to double check my email).

Makes me want to go use up my $25 micropay and my remaining coupon from my last renewal and just move back to using Amazon exclusively...at least I still get 3 pts per $ thru my amazon visa.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #21
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I will be seriously bummed if Fictionwise closes its doors or stops offering rebates. I have bought over 800 books from them at an average cost of <$3/book. You can't get close to that anywhere else.

My buywise has almost 5 years left too. If they close up shop, that means I'll have to fight them via my CC for the unused balance. Argh.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I really think Kobo is going to be my store of choice from now on.
I spent some time on Kobo's web site and I've gotta agree. The web site design is very clean and pleasant.. less is more. Compared to Amazon's mass clutter.

However, I've got to say... a web site without social features like reviews and recommendations isn't going to go very far.

I was looking at Kobo because I loved the preview of the Kobo for iPad app. (Not that I have an iPad but I am seriously considering it.)

Once again, I think Fictionwise and eReader.com will be gone by the end of 2011.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
My buywise has almost 5 years left too. If they close up shop, that means I'll have to fight them via my CC for the unused balance. Argh.
Well... Considering how good they have been and that they are owned by B&N I think they will compensate you. Probably with some type of store credit or perhaps convert it to the B&N loyalty program. Although, as BooksOnBoard.com said, providing discounts is going to be difficult with many of the ebooks sold with the agency model.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
That's disturbing. I bought a 2 year membership this past december. I have $90 in unspent "micro pay" -- and I really liked the program. Even if I get my "discount" -- I'll really miss the "100% micro pay" rebates they offered. It was one of the main reasons I signed up.

I thought with "agency pricing" we'd have MORE buyer's clubs, not less.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #25
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... Considering how good they have been and that they are owned by B&N I think they will compensate you. Probably with some type of store credit or perhaps convert it to the B&N loyalty program. Although, as BooksOnBoard.com said, providing discounts is going to be difficult with many of the ebooks sold with the agency model.

BOb
I'm not interested int he B&N loyalty program however. So, converting it would be pointless. The books are expensive and usually ereader which I can't use. A friend who knows I love to read gave me a $25 B&N gift card for the 2008 holidays. I could never find anything to spend it on, even after browsing the local stores several times. I finally just gave in and bought some board books for my son to be rid of it. It's a store that just doesn't impress me. I'll be seriously bummed if they destroy my favorite bookstore.

At least I've used up most of my Micropay.:

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #26
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
insofar as they seem to be putting out fewer and fewer books in mobipocket format they are no longer my vendor of choice.
ditto
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
ditto
Same here. I already made the choice not to continue my Buywise membership and am moving away from FW. After 7 years, I'm getting less and less charmed by them.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #28
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Fictionwise has simply said they've discontinued the Buywise Club. They've said nothing about micropay and I don't think there's any reason to jump to the conclusion that the agency model will necessarily bring an end to micropay. All I've seen on the agency model thus far is that it requires books be sold at a certain price. I would consider micropay less of an actual rebate (since you don't get money back) and more of an offering of store credit for using Fictionwise. It's rewarding loyalty. If that can be exploited under the agency model, then it might actually give Fictionwise a boost--at least until other stores start to implement something similar.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #29
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
And another; in fact, I don't think I've bought anything from Fictionwise since B&N took them over, principally because of Geographic Restrictions - the main reason I didn't renew my Buywise membership when it ran out last year...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #30
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
My membership is good until 2020. I guess I got carried away on those 100% rebate membership sales. Fictionwise is the main store where I buy books and I've learned to wait for the great sales and buy my whole wish list then. I've found enough mysteries and spicy romances in multiformat to keep me busy. They also have bestsellers with 100% micropay rebates. The prices are higher but if I'm getting it all back to buy more books I can live with that. There are very few main "name brand" authors that I care about getting their new releases and I guess I can get those in pbook from the library. I just can't see me paying $14.99 or so (in real, non rebateable money) for an ebook. I never did for pbooks, I'd get it from the library and wait until it was in paperback if I wanted a copy for my collection and I'd generally buy that used. I have tried Kobo but my bank always charges an extra fee since Kobo is in Canada. I haven't had any trouble navigating the Fictionwise site and I'm going to be really sad if it goes away.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote