Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Compatibility?

I've been watching for news on the Sony Reader, and haven't seen any mention of this, so I'm beginning to fear that the answer will be "no." But here goes: Will this thing be Mac compatible?
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
We aren't even sure the thing will do .txt files and you want it to talk to your (non-windows) Computer? You sure are asking for a lot.

Seriously, though, I don't think I've seen anything on this either. My guess is that since Sony is really unexcited about the prospect of non-Sony files being read on its device, they're not going to be interested in it connecting to something as alien as a MacPuter. After all, the 'puters they make are Windows machines, right? I suppose they figure they're being generous by allowing us to connect it to non-Sony 'puters at all.

Wait a minute, this thing will work with say a Dell or Compaq won't it, Sony? Hello?

I don't seriously doubt that it will, but, Sony being Sony, I do wonder. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least someone in Sony's organization that wanted to tie it to only Sony PC's.

And you might be able to put your own files on it just fine, if not from the USB then via a memory card, but I too am skeptical about anything more complicated than that working with a MacPuter.

Last edited by NatCh; 06-16-2006 at 03:42 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
Sony's been consistantly bad with supporting mac's in the past anyways. Their Clie's that run PalmOS have enough Sony in them that you can't even get them to HotSync with a Mac with out 3rd party software. The positive side of that negativity is taht hackers love to pley with Sony stuff (PSP!!) and it seems that alot of that is almost instigated because Sony trys to be so closed So don't hold much hope that it will be Mac Compatible (at least not with out boot camp) but i do hope that the "Mod" community will take interest and open this reader up like an oyster.
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsavior
... i do hope that the "Mod" community will take interest and open this reader up like an oyster.
My, what a lovely image.

I share that hope.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
How else to find the pearl that sony stuffed in side, locked in a box, buried in the back woods and denied all knowledge of?
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert