Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
adi
Enthusiast
adi began at the beginning.

Device: irex digital reader
Carrying DR on a plane

Has anyone carried the DR on a plane in the US. I am just wondering how TSA will react to a device like this.
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
I've been carrying it last week and had no problem. Some TSA people told me thay had not seen such a slim laptop.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Probably the same as all electronic equipment, you'll have to turn it off for take off and landing. It's not like it's wireless.

If Oprah can download a book onto her Kindle while her private jet is taking off and not cause it to fall out of the sky, I doubt a DR could take down a Boeing or Airbus commercial passenger jet.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Treat it like a laptop when going through security, i.e. take it out of your bag and send it through the x-ray separately unless it is in one of the new approved laptop bags.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
Yea, TSA is suspicious of anything with a large screen, so you will have to take it out of your bag going through security.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
Yea, TSA is suspicious of anything with a large screen, so you will have to take it out of your bag going through security.
Yeah, terrorists all have really poor eyesight, so they prefer large screen ebook readers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
adi
Enthusiast
adi began at the beginning.

Device: irex digital reader
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will treat it as a laptop, and I hope that I have better luck than this guy
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I've been carrying one for about 2-1/2 years (can we all say 'early adopter') and passing through security over a dozen times a year (more international than in the US) I think I've only been asked twice to take it out of the briefcase.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
I've been carrying one for about 2-1/2 years (can we all say 'early adopter') and passing through security over a dozen times a year (more international than in the US) I think I've only been asked twice to take it out of the briefcase.
VERY early adoptor, considering the fact that the DR has only been out for about a month!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
"adaptor from future" is more like it I guess Tell us please, is there a color one in the future? And what about battery life? You still have batteries, right?
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
"adaptor from future" is more like it I guess Tell us please, is there a color one in the future? And what about battery life? You still have batteries, right?
heeheehee !

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
VERY early adoptor, considering the fact that the DR has only been out for about a month!
I'm pretty sure he meant ebook reader in general (or was confused and thought we were talking about the iLiad), and not a DR. Yeah, being a DR early adopter for 2-1/2 years would be pretty impressive.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, there's this whole retrochronic thing going on around here...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've got an Iliad, the original, not V2.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah, terrorists all have really poor eyesight, so they prefer large screen ebook readers.
You'd think they'd want something with a backlight, living in caves as they do.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote