Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #151
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
I'm confused... I thought 2.1.4 was the latest update, and that's what my Kobo touch updated to.
2.1.4 was pulled due to showstopper bugs.

2.1.5 is its replacement, which is currently being distributed. Check the internal device information under Settings to determine which version you have, as when 2.1.5 loads it displays the 2.1.4 release notes page.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #152
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Ah, I see... Device info says 2.1.5, but release notes still say 2.1.4. Thanks for the help!
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #153
RangoX
RangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo should really announce the correct firmware version in future updates, even if all there is are minor bug fixes, doing it otherwise doesn't look "serious", I don't know.

I'm very happy so far with 2.1.5, turning pages is fast and finally I have a Spanish dictionary, awesome!

BTW, I was testing a manga in cbr and it looks kinda small, if I turn the images to landscape mode, it's a little difficult to browse the pages. Any advice for this? Do you use your kobo to read manga?
RangoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #154
arnique
arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.arnique 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Nook/Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Your dictionaries are not actually loaded. Click on the Plus next to each dictionary. It will change to a check. Then save. Then, if you are not connected to the internet somehow, connect to the internet and the dictionaries will load.

Warning: the above is from memory and may not be correct...
Thanks, but perhaps I was not clear in my description. When you get to the Manage Dictionaries page there is nothing listed below the header, no dictionaries, no plus signs, no text, nothing. But I will try reset with internet on.
arnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #155
Dan_P
Dan_P began at the beginning.

Device: kObO
Hi guys

Currently on 2.0.0 with my KT and agree that it is slow , but it has been fairly stable for me. what it also has
provided is a somewhat working SD interface and I even think that it has allowed me
access to my 8gb transcend CL 6 card that has always been difficult.
Anyone has any experience and situation update with the 2.1.5 on how the SDHC interface problems are working...or not working as the case may be. Have people been able to use 32gb cards? class 6? class10?

Last edited by Dan_P; 11-05-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: FW version quoted not correct.
Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #156
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I am just back from a couple of weeks' holidays, so not sure if this has been commented on by anyone else. I am still finding big gaps in side-loaded text because the Kobo doesn't seem able to split a paragraph. This was a problem with a previous Firmware but I thought was to have been fixed.

Has anyone else found this problem? It occurred specifically in The Mapp and Lucia Omnibus downloaded from the MobileRead library.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #157
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I am just back from a couple of weeks' holidays, so not sure if this has been commented on by anyone else. I am still finding big gaps in side-loaded text because the Kobo doesn't seem able to split a paragraph.
Kobo Touch, 2.1.5: just check four books (sideloaded, format-stripped) and all are splitting paragraphs/sentences appropriately across pages.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #158
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am just back from a couple of weeks' holidays, so not sure if this has been commented on by anyone else. I am still finding big gaps in side-loaded text because the Kobo doesn't seem able to split a paragraph. This was a problem with a previous Firmware but I thought was to have been fixed.

Has anyone else found this problem? It occurred specifically in The Mapp and Lucia Omnibus downloaded from the MobileRead library.
I'm getting pages ending at the half way mark on the screen. Very annoying.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #159
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your comments, meeera and murg. Meeera, I wonder if your books were loaded before 2.1.5. That is, maybe murg and I are getting the problem with a book downloaded before the update, which has somehow retained the "memory" of the old thing with not splitting paragraphs.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #160
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Empiricism ahoy: just loaded two books (one direct by USB cable, one by Calibre content server, just in case it made a difference). Both are breaking paragraphs over pageturns.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #161
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, meeera and murg. Meeera, I wonder if your books were loaded before 2.1.5. That is, maybe murg and I are getting the problem with a book downloaded before the update, which has somehow retained the "memory" of the old thing with not splitting paragraphs.
I doubt that. I am sure the books are rendered each time it is opened.

I downloaded The Mapp and Lucia Omnibus and tried it. With the font settings I usually use, there was a lot of space at the bottom. And there were a few pages with a lot more space. But this is cause by the widows and orphans style setting. From what I can see, Kobo use 3 for both of these. The widows setting means that if a paragraph goes over the end of a page, it will put at least three lines together on the next page. The orphans setting means that a similar thing happens if the beginning of a paragraph is near the end of the page In this case, the if it can't keep three lines on the page, the paragraph will be pushed to the next page.

I edited the epub and changed the settings to zero for both. This causes the screen to be filled as much as possible.

But, there still seemed to be a lot of space at the bottom of each page. Some of this is because the epub has the top and bottom page margins set to 5pt. That plus the exact font size used, accounts for the rest of the space at the bottom.

If you want to see exactly how much space is wasted at the bottom, set the font to the smallest size and find a paragraph that is long enough to have a least three lines on each page. When you open the bottom menu, the gap you see between the last line of text and the line across the screen is the page bottom margin (5pts for this book). Plus, unless the screen is an exact multiple of the height of the text at that font size, whatever is leftover so that a partial line isn't displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #162
murg
No Comment

Quote:
All my books are on a freshly factory reset -> update to 2.1.5 Touch. So, they've all been loaded on 2.1.5.

The way that the firmware works, well, ok, the way the firmware should work, but probably the way that the firmware does work, is that paging shouldn't depend on when the book is loaded.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #163
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I edit all my epubs to set widows and orphans to 0, with 0 bottom margin for the pages too.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #164
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I discovered by accident a couple of days ago that font can also seem to effect this. I was using the Charis Sil modified by JSWolf and getting 1/2 and 3/4 pages consistently. Using any other font on the same book and it was fine. Not sure the mechanics of this, but it was consistent.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #165
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks robko - I'll try changing fonts.