Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
suzyq
suzyq began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I went ahead and ordered the Verilux. It's on its way. Unfortunately, I sort of broke off the little plastic thingy on the cover. I was trying to bend it up a bit so it stuck out more and *snap* there it went. It's only attached by a centimeter wide plastic tab. I may try gluing it in, but I'm hoping for vaja or someone to make a better cover soon.

Suzyq
suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
groch
groch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I was holding out to find a rechargeable model on sale...and see the National Geographic store has the Relight 4 LED lithium Ion rechargeable model that everyone sells for $35 on sale at $20.. plus there is a free ship code 07BB02

The light is under their Sale listing in the travel and outdoors section.

You put the free ship code where it asks for a catalog code.

I am not in any way affiliated with NG, nor have I ordered from them before, but this looks like a great light from the Amazon reviews, and it is the only one with a rechargeable dock base and advertises 30 hours of light between charges.

I already ordered, but if anyone has experience with this light I would like to hear.

George
groch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The Vellux light comes with a charger, you provide the rechargable batteries.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #19
Sage
Sage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
It's been tough to find LED book lights that do illuminate evenly. Maybe seeing the LED word makes people assume it will be bright and even, but there's a lot of junk in newer light forms, too.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
"Unfortunately, I sort of broke off the little plastic thingy on the cover. I was trying to bend it up a bit so it stuck out more and *snap* there it went."

Same thing happened to me about the second or third time that I tried to seat the unit within the cover. :-(
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #21
kindlemehappy
kindlemehappy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Hi there, first time posting here! I thought I'd let you know that apparently they had to scrap the reading light last minute because it was attached via magnets, which interfered with the EVDO access. Incidentally that it is the same reason why they had to scrap the original cover design for it as well (it had a magnetic clasp). My Kindle is not quite here yetbut as I understand it from what others have said, there is still a depression where the original light was to attach. Someone found the original manual that was to go with the Kindle before the changes... which is how I came about all this info!

Have fun all!!
kindlemehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #22
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I posted this in another thread, but here is another alternative "reading light". The i-Sight EarLight has other purposes as well.

http://www.botachtactical.com/earlight.html

I have used this with glasses and it works fine for me.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I haven't seen anyone comment on it, but I could easily have missed it in the furor. I recall that the leaked documents that we had a year ago included details of a clip on reading light, but I don't see any mention of it on the current Amazon page for Kindle.

Does there appear to be a connection point for it on the Kindles that folks have now? Is there any mention of it in the documentation that comes with the Kindle, or perhaps it has just been designed out?

This has been such a big concern for the various e-ink devices we've had so far, I'm just wondering where we are on it with the Kindle.
On pages 18-20 of this document
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1189621444
The 'included' reading light is shown and described.

It was held in place by a magnet and I have read that the magnet interfered with the wireless modem reception and was ditched for that reason.

Also, the original name for the Kindle was 'Fiona'. If you even now go to the 'Manage Your Kindle' page on Amazon it says 'digital/fiona' amongst the gobblegook of the url.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Fiona Hackworth is the daughter of the Illustrated Primer's designer (from Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer). If you've read the book you'll see the connection.
Some people said you can see the name in one of Amazon's videos on Kindle.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #25
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Diamond Age is always the first book I load on any ebook device I give to family and friends, as it has a way of getting them excited about the possibilities of technology in relation to books and learning.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #26
HiTech
HiTech began at the beginning.

I use one that I picked up free at a conference. It aint pretty, but it works for now.
HiTech is offline   Reply With Quote