Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Lesage, Alain-Rene: The Adventures of Gil Blas. v1. 28 May 07

Extremely disappoined in the illustrations I had. RE-DID the entire novel without the illustrations. Removed v1. due to my inability to count through 1-6 (Don't ask!! ).

Please load this version, as there was an error in counting in the INDEX section.

BUILD:
This was a massive Build, one that took a huge amount of time. I hope it was worth the time and effort. I'm interested in any suggestions for the improvement of this upload, or for your thoughts on how you would have done things differently. So please: do let the suggestions come!

This is not for everyone; I knew that coming into it, but I wanted to do the very best job I knew how to do at this time based upon my limited understanding of BD.

I'm not entirely satisifed with the insert photo aspect of BD. It would be nice to have tag-lines that stay with photos, so that one doesn't have to constantly resize. Also, I wasn't able to change the ratio aspect to my satisfaction: The engravings themselves are very long dimensionally and this leads to problems.

I also dislike the lines that stick out when a link is selected, so I tried to avoid this phenonomen in Building this edition.

However, let me state very clearly that BD is a wonderful tool for making available different editions of works for the Reader.

LITERATURE:
As literature, I felt compelled to make this available to readers who enjoy (as do I) this type of early novel. The links - to my way of thinking - are absolutely necessary in order to "locate" one's reading in a novel such as this - a novel that has numerous Books and Chapters.

Here's some information on Lesage:

"Alain-Rene Lesage, 1668–1747, French novelist and dramatist. His masterpiece, Gil Blas de Santillane (1715–35, tr. by Tobias Smollett, The Adventures of Gil Blas of Santillane, 1749), is a rambling story in the style of Spanish picaresque romances, though unlike them in conception. It is instead strongly realistic, especially in its incidents; exact description of exterior and physical appearance suffices to show character and to imply moral judgment. Gil Blas was a major influence in the development of the realistic novel. Smollett drew heavily on it, especially in Roderick Random. Of Le Sage’s lesser novels, Le Diable boiteux (1707; tr. The Devil upon Two Sticks, 1708) is an adaptation of a Spanish novel, and Le Bachelier de Salamanque (1736, tr. 1737) is an imitation of Gil Blas. Le Sage made his living by writing light pieces for the theaters of Paris; his best dramatic work is Turcaret (1709), a comedy of character, which bitterly satirizes tax farmers and the world of finance in general."

As you probably know (based upon my uploads), I enjoy high literature along with writing that embraces popular culture. With that in mind, I'm now going to relax a bit and do some mysteries and pulp writings.

Anyway, I hope this finds some enjoyment among our community of dedicated readers.

Thanks,
Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Adventures of Gil Blas of Santillane. v2.lrf (1.24 MB, 1120 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-28-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Error in INDEX + engraved illustrations inadequate
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Version 2 corrects an INDEX problem. Removed ineffective illustrations.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert