Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Any quick way to jump to "Periodicals: Back Issues"?

Previous day's newspapers get abruptly moved to become the last item ("Periodicals: Back Issues") on the last page of books when a new issue gets delivered. (I have my books sorted "By Most Recent First".) But I'm often not quite done with the previous issue(s).

Is there any other way to navigate the pages of books on the Home screen, other than via page buttons or Search (e.g., using a search term of "Periodicals" or "Back")? It's annoying that I always have to search, even though these previous issues are commonly among my most recent readings.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Have you tried jumping directly to the last page?

If you have 31 pages, for example, type ALT+E+Q then return, and you will jump right to page 31 - the last page where Periodicals: Back Issues is when sorted by Most Recent First.
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Tomato View Post
Have you tried jumping directly to the last page?

If you have 31 pages, for example, type ALT+E+Q then return, and you will jump right to page 31 - the last page where Periodicals: Back Issues is when sorted by Most Recent First.
This doesn't work for me. Instead, it does a search for "31". Besides pressing return/enter, I also tried pressing the middle of the 5-way, but get the same results: a search.

If I change from "search my items" to "go to" and press 3+1+middle of the 5-way, it goes to the web browser (with "go to" selected, 3+1+return/enter nothing).

Did I do something wrong, or misunderstand?

This is the type of answer I was looking for, a way to jump around pages on the Home screen.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh. I see you have a K3, as do I. I'll just run through one more time, step by step what I do to jump to the last page, in hopes it will help:

Home screen sorted "By Most Recent First." I have 31 pages listed.

I then type: ALT+E+Q, and the search box at the bottom appears with "31" entered. Next to the 31 it says in gray "click to go to 31" and to the right of that is the un-highlighted bubble that says "search my items."

I then press the return key (bendy arrow to the right of the Sym key), and I jump to page 31. (If I use the center of the 5-way instead of the enter key I also jump directly to page 3.)

If, however, I right click the 5-way to highlight "search my items" then click, I get a search of all my books for the string "31"

So, perhaps you weren't clicking the 5-way or the return key just after typing in the page number? I.e. you do not want the little bubble highlighted, don't use the 5-way arrow keys at all.

Last edited by Top Tomato; 11-12-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru

Ah, thanks so much for your patience in explaining. It forced me to see my dumb user error. I only have 22 pages, but in testing had typed 31 instead of 22! I see now a "Click to go to page 3" appears after I type the "3", but rightly disappears when I add the "1".

Just the type of solution for navigating pages that I was looking for, thanks, very much appreciated.

Last edited by jj2me; 11-12-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Top Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Ah, thanks so much for your patience in explaining. It forced me to see my dumb user error. I only have 22 pages, but in testing had typed 31 instead of 22! I see now a "Click to go to page 3" appears after I type the "3", but rightly disappears when I add the "1".

Just the type of solution for navigating pages that I was looking for, thanks, very much appreciated.
YES! I'm so happy we found something that works! Sorry I gave you 31 as an example - but I'm glad you sorted it!