Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #28696
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I haven't read anything of Leckie's that I did not enjoy. The Radch trilogy is still my favorite, but she always bring something new and unique. I also love her unashamed diversity. Raven Tower started a little slowly, but really picked up.
That's good to hear. I loved the Radch trilogy, but had a hard time getting in to Raven Tower. I need to circle back to it and give it another try.

Just finished reading Ian Hamilton's Foresight, the second of his Uncle Chow Tung books that form the backstory for the Ava Lee series. I really liked it, definitely better than the first of these, Fate, which I thought a bit slow and forced. But Foresight got me thinking about other characters from the Ava Lee books, including Xu, so I am doing some re-reading, starting with The Two Sisters of Borneo. Excellent books, and just as much fun as the first time through.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #28697
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Please read The Way of Kings as soon as you can.
Okay, definitely the next book I start. I've got a couple other Fantasy to finish up before starting a new one.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #28698
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That's good to hear. I loved the Radch trilogy, but had a hard time getting in to Raven Tower. I need to circle back to it and give it another try.
I finished it a few days ago. I think knowing that it was a pastiche (I won't say of what, because spoilers), helped me some. But it was very uneven in terms of pacing. Having finished it, I felt like the end was abrupt, but fitting for what it was. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #28699
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I finished it a few days ago. I think knowing that it was a pastiche (I won't say of what, because spoilers), helped me some. But it was very uneven in terms of pacing. Having finished it, I felt like the end was abrupt, but fitting for what it was. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
I'll circle back to it as soon as I get done binging on the Ava Lee series. The new release from Ian Hamilton, Foresight, triggered a desire to see how it links in to Ava Lee, and that got me caught up in it all over again.

You should give them a try - I think you might enjoy them. The first is The Water Rat of Wanchai.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #28700
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'll circle back to it as soon as I get done binging on the Ava Lee series. The new release from Ian Hamilton, Foresight, triggered a desire to see how it links in to Ava Lee, and that got me caught up in it all over again.

You should give them a try - I think you might enjoy them. The first is The Water Rat of Wanchai.
I have them. I started the first but wasn't in the mood for it when I did. I will get back to it eventually.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #28701
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My review of The Wise Man's Fear:-

Spoiler:
I'm not angry at the hours spent reading a book that I'd rate 1 star. It was like an exercise in self-restraint and meditation.

The author had nothing up his sleeve. Unlike a good illusionist, Rothfuss really had nothing to show. Parts of the book are disjointed from others.

The book felt like an initially flashy car with cheap plastic lined inside. I am now indifferent as to what happens next.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #28702
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
My review of The Wise Man's Fear:-

Spoiler:
I'm not angry at the hours spent reading a book that I'd rate 1 star. It was like an exercise in self-restraint and meditation.

The author had nothing up his sleeve. Unlike a good illusionist, Rothfuss really had nothing to show. Parts of the book are disjointed from others.

The book felt like an initially flashy car with cheap plastic lined inside. I am now indifferent as to what happens next.
The way things are going, it won't end anyway. That book was published in March 2011!!

I remember liking book 1 and don't remember as much about book 2. If 3 ever arrives I'll probably have to re-read 1 and 2.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:47 AM   #28703
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The way things are going, it won't end anyway. That book was published in March 2011!!

I remember liking book 1 and don't remember as much about book 2. If 3 ever arrives I'll probably have to re-read 1 and 2.
I too think that book 3 will take an eternity to get released. If it gets published, I will ignore the book. There's something superficial about the whole series.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #28704
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Somewhat in honor of Christopher Tolkien's passing, I have decided to do a re-read of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I plan to listen to the audiobooks during my workouts and commutes, which total anywhere from 2-3 hours a day.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #28705
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Just finished a couple of books by Tom Lloyd. The finale to his Twilight Reign series and the penultimate book to his God Fragments series. I much prefer the God Fragments series...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #28706
Luffy
Wizard

I'm still reading the introduction of Black Lamb Grey Falcon. Written by C. Hitchens, it''s a small book in its own right.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #28707
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It's been a long while since I posted an update here.

This year I have listened to several episodes of the LeVar Burton Reads podcast and from the Classic Tales podcast. I like listening to short stories when I'm doing some types of tasks at work.

I also finished I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett; I only have 1 more book to read from Discworld since I've read the two after this one already.

My most recent book was The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. It was hard for me to get into but in the end was very good. I will need to read the other two books in the series soon.

I'm about to start Anne of Green Gables for the New Leaf Book Club. We'll be discussing it starting the 15th of February if anyone is interested. (I'm sure many of us don't even need to reread it first. )
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:07 AM   #28708
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
I'm still reading the introduction of Black Lamb Grey Falcon. Written by C. Hitchens, it''s a small book in its own right.
I skipped past this introduction, and am reading the book. There are a lot of pages remaining, but so far it's been great.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:18 AM   #28709
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was quite fun, but wrapped up a bit too quickly for my taste.

Next up (as well as the Brandon Sanderson epic): Through Fiery Trials by David Weber. Despite the dreadful names, I'm still reading his Safehold series.
Through Fiery Trials finally got to some more plot. But we really should have got here a couple of thousand pages ago. I'm still intrigued enough to pick up the next one.

Words of Radiance was very good. I'm looking forward to reading the third volume, although that's another 1,000+ page ebook.

Now I'm reading The Valley of Shadows by John Ringo and Mike Massa. Another viewpoint on Ringo's Zombie apocalypse series. I expect it to be a quick fun read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #28710
Luffy
Wizard

The third volume, Oathbringer, is not as good as the first two ones in the Stormlight Archive series.