Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Is Kindle Innovation Done?

Is there any hope of Amazon making a larger screen no oasis device? Color device anything other than the current 3 skus they currently have?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Magic 8 Ball says...Cannot Predict Now.

I think a large screen with a front light would be too costly for most users. $250 is high, especially given the dismal battery life of the Oasis 2. 6-7" screens seem about perfect for the majority of users.

I had the DX, but it was too large, too wide of a screen making too wide of a text column. It was great in theory, but not in actual use for reading novels and regular books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
But they could make a 7 inch waterproof voyage. I guess I wonder if they’re just gonna sit with what they have now cause they can make money doing it and innovation cost money.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
karljs
karljs has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Forma
There have been rumors that they might release a Voyage 2, but I think they'd have a hard time segmenting the different price points in a way that makes sense.

It also sounds like the research lab that did all of the Kindle hardware was being tasked with coming up with Covid testing strategies for the company, so everything else may have been put on hold for a while. It's hard to say from the outside.

I know for sure that I'd jump at the chance to get a Voyage 2 with all the Oasis 3 features, USB C, improved battery life, etc.
karljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been 13 years since the Voyage was released. It would be weird for them to release a new one now.
Advert
Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My ancient Kindle Touch has essentially the same klunky UI as the Oasis. If they can't be bothered to make a better UI I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any innovation.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
You need to look at the bigger picture. Much like Apple iPhones using parts, including the screen, from many different suppliers, same goes for Amazon and Kindle e-readers. You need to look at the current state of e-ink technology to determine possible features in new devices. Color e-ink is coming within a year, commercially. Most existing e-reader devices use the same e-ink Carta screen, which is why the specs and resolution are the same.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless Amazon makes some radical changes to the firmware, I see no real innovation no matter the hardware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard

Color e-ink has been "coming" for over 10 years. It's here now, but doesn't bring much to the table for those who simply want to read.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It's been 13 years since the Voyage was released. It would be weird for them to release a new one now.
6 years, not 13. But yes, it would still be weird.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
If you want a screen larger than 7", you can get an 8" device from Kobo. Kobo ereaders are marketed for roughly the same customer base as Amazon ereaders.

To my mind, this gives us reason to believe in the possibility of a larger screen from Amazon.

Since I read text, colour would not be innovation for me. Improved contrast would; it would make e-ink look more like paper. Is there anyone working on e-ink with improved contrast? I doubt it.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm guessing the ship has sailed on that one, despite the three or four (or five?) "scoops" by GoodEReader to the contrary.

As for innovation from Amazon on the Kindle line... I don't know. I thought for sure they would come out with a color eReader when others did, but now I'm wondering if they feel the Fire fills that space.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Wow, bad maths for me.

Hubby is currently having appendix surgery, I shouldn’t have posted during the stressful “should we go to the hospital or not” phase. He thought he was having a reaction to a med.

I’m sitting alone in a usually very full surgical waiting room. It’s 11:30 p.m. It’s weird.

It’s been a weird day, after a weird week, in a weird month, in the year 2020.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
It’s been a weird day, after a weird week, in a weird month, in the year 2020.
Best wishes for his quick recovery. This has been one weird year.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Best wishes for his quick recovery. This has been one weird year.
Thanks, it was 1 a.m. by the time I got home, long day. Slept like a rock once my brain shut off.