Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #76
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple seeded / released iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 betas for testing. For some reason they skipped over 14.1. One post suggested perhaps it was to appease the Chinese who apparently have a superstition concerning the number 141, but who knows...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #77
JasperBeardly
Enthusiast
JasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to beholdJasperBeardly is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Libra 2
14.1 will probably be on the new phones due next month. They released 14.0 without the bits specific to them to try to keep the new features secret.
JasperBeardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #78
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple released iOS 14.0.1 today (Sep 24)

Apple's release notes are below:

Quote:
This update includes bug fixes for your *iPhone*.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause default browser and mail settings to reset after restarting your *iPhone*
  • Fixes an issue that could cause default browser and mail settings to reset after restarting your *iPhone*
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent camera previews from displaying on *iPhone* 7 and *iPhone* 7 Plus
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent your *iPhone* from connecting to Wi-Fi networks
  • Resolves an issue that could prevent sending email with some mail providers
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent images from appearing in the News widget
  • For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Apple also released updates for iPadOS 14.0.1, tvOS 14.0.1, and watchOS 7.0.1.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #79
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I installed iPadOS 14.0.1 on my iPad mini 5. No bad effects encountered yet. I haven't installed it on my other two devices yet. I haven't experienced any of the specific bugs it reportedly squashes, so no rush on my part to install it.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #80
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I created a few personalized wallpapers for my iPhone XR. A set of 3D looking metallic wallpapers and a couple of slanted gradient wallpapers. Each was created in Photoshop CC 2020 using the P3 Display color profile, and then exported to 16 bit PNG with the P3 Display color profile embedded inside.

I really didn't care for the colorful butt-crack style of wallpapers included with iOS 14.

These are screen captures from my iPhone XR. Now to create some for my iPads.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone-Wallpaper-3D-Metallic.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	182186   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone-Wallpaper-Slanted-Gradients.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	182187  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-26-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #81
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
didn't the stock widget on the notification screen show more stocks before this update? Is there a way to add more stocks?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #82
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
didn't the stock widget on the notification screen show more stocks before this update? Is there a way to add more stocks?
Never mind. I needed to delete the widget and re-add it to get the option of the old look.

I guess I should thank Apple for making me look for a better app.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #83
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Is there a way to get the Apple battery widget to the bottom of the notification screen (the screen you get when you swipe right on the home screen)?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #84
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Is there a way to get the Apple battery widget to the bottom of the notification screen (the screen you get when you swipe right on the home screen)?
In "jiggly mode" you should be able to drag it wherever you want it. However, I've noticed that on my iPhone XR, any older widgets (pre-iOS 14) get pushed down to the very bottom and I can’t get the newer (iOS 14) widgets to drag below them. Apple loves to do crap like that, in other words, prevent us from doing what we want. They seem to be the masters of "do it the way we dictate and be happy about it"!

Of course with Apple it could just be a bug. I noticed that dragging more widgets on top of the multi-widget stack can be frustrating as the stack likes to avoid them and moves out of the way. It is eventually doable, but it takes a few tries to get it to work.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-26-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #85
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Hmm, looks like iOS 14 broke USB tethering with Linux/OpenWRT. Thank goodness I only updated a backup iPhone 7 first. I’m holding off updating other iPhones and cellular iPads until that’s fixed.

Apart from that, 14 appears to be working fine. Been using it longer on a couple of iPads and so far, so good.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #86
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
In "jiggly mode" you should be able to drag it wherever you want it. However, I've noticed that on my iPhone XR, any older widgets (pre-iOS 14) get pushed down to the very bottom and I can’t get the newer (iOS 14) widgets to drag below them. Apple loves to do crap like that, in other words, prevent us from doing what we want. They seem to be the masters of "do it the way we dictate and be happy about it"!

Of course with Apple it could just be a bug. I noticed that dragging more widgets on top of the multi-widget stack can be frustrating as the stack likes to avoid them and moves out of the way. It is eventually doable, but it takes a few tries to get it to work.
I have updated all my apps and I have not been able to get any non-Apple widget to the top. What is a non-Apple Widget that can be on the top; not in theory, but in practice.

Last edited by John F; 09-26-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #87
John F
Grand Sorcerer

And here is a bug/feature...

I couldn't tell if I was connected to WiFi, so I go to WiFi settings and disable wifi. I enabled wifi, and my network shows up and quickly disappears. I keep disabling/enabling and the same behavior. Leave it enable, go back, and my network is listed, and when I go back to WiFi settings, my network is shown with a check in front of it.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #88
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
I have updated all my apps and I have not been able to get any non-Apple widget to the top. What is a non-Apple Widget that can be on the top; not in theory, but in practice.
I think only widgets updated for iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 can go on top of the widget area. I’ve not been able to get older pre-14 widgets to go on top. They seem to be relegated to the bottom. I guess it is an Apple thing. I have gotten a weather app widget updated for iOS 14 to go on top though. That app is Weather Radar and definitely not an Apple app. See attached screen capture. The pre-14 widget for Kasa app can’t be moved to the top though.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FC6A974-C21A-43EB-B82D-0333B51C6730.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	182239  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-26-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #89
John F
Grand Sorcerer

So I go to use Apple pay, and they've changed the interaction. The screen comes up with a little animation and text that says double tap (or maybe it was double click) towards the right side of the screen. I'm double tapping away on the screen, all over the place, and nothing is happening. I'm start to put my phone away, and the bagger tells me I need to double press the power button.

For Pete's sack Apple, why do you have to be cute: in the text, just say double press the button.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #90
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

That is another Apple thing. Why leave something alone that works when we can add steps and annoy customers. I noticed that they added steps in some of their apps. I hate that. It isn’t like the extra steps add more features or options. They have a real usability design deficiency in that company! Makes me want to roll up a newspaper and smack Tim Apple on the nose and yell, “Stop that!”