Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #16
the.Mtn.Man
Fanatic
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I have some interesting facts about this firmware version here. I'm still updating that list as I work through the patches and config options.

This firmware seems to have a new parental controls option which allows you to pretty much de-koboify the kobo. One downside is if I'm reading it right, it also removes the light menu. I'll test it once I'm done the patches.
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Patches are out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319970

the.Mtn.Man: I was wrong about the light menu thing, it actually adds a parental control menu to the status bar beside the light one (not instead of). The only thing which seems to be a disadvantage about the new parental control stuff is it made things to do with the kobo store and the home screen a lot more fragile for patching: I needed to remove the disable wishlist patch, as it caused some really unusual touchscreen bugs. I also had a bit of trouble with the redo of the recommendations removal patch, as my first attempt caused the quick tour to be stuck there instead, my second attempt caused a bootloop (and I needed to factory reset), my third attempt made none of the links work, but my last attempt worked fine.

Semwize: About your request for replacing a menu item, I've been working on it and have made some progress. I just need to figure out how to change the set of links used without it segfaulting.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
I have some interesting facts about this firmware version here. I'm still updating that list as I work through the patches and config options.

This firmware seems to have a new parental controls option which allows you to pretty much de-koboify the kobo. I'll test it once I'm done the patches. Also, this feature is safe to test (and will revert back to normal after disabled). You need to add ParentalControls=true to [FeatureSettings], then it will be in the Accounts settings. Note that Overdrive and Pocket get hidden, but I may make a patch to either: add back these features or provide individual features from parental controls.
The ParentalControls feature will remove most of the methods to connect outside the device. So the shop will be removed, the browser and Pocket. It will still sync books and reading status, so there will still be some WiFi usage. It isn't putting any parental controls on books. So, if a parent and child share an account and they have a separate devices, then all purchased books will be synced to both devices.

When you enable this feature, it will add a "Parental controls" option in the Accounts page of the settings. When you turn it on, you will be prompted for a PIN. It can only be turned off by entering the PIN.

One thing it does stop is any stats collection. Personally I look at the activity page and reading stats for the books. I could see a parent wanting to use this with the child to help encourage them.

And of course, this isn't complete. I don't know what else Kobo plan, or when they plan to officially release it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #19
Semwize

Semwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo
Quote:
About your request for replacing a menu item, I've been working on it and have made some progress. I just need to figure out how to change the set of links used without it segfaulting.
Thanks

In any case, I will wait 24 line spacing values & ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins
Semwize is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:51 AM   #20
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tried adding ParentalControl=true in [FeatureSettings] section.
Restarted the N905C (it has the 4.14.12777) no effect. No extra settings anywhere.
Perhaps only works on later models?
Or is it only active if https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319970 the patch is done?
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 AM   #21
Semwize

Semwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the endSemwize knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo
FrustratedReader,

ParentalControls=true
Semwize is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
Stevex
Groupie
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This looks like it might be interesting, did anyone try it out?
featuresettings::newAnnotationsSync

PS @Geek1011 many thanks for all your work

Last edited by Stevex; 05-10-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #23
the.Mtn.Man
Fanatic
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Patches are out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319970

the.Mtn.Man: I was wrong about the light menu thing, it actually adds a parental control menu to the status bar beside the light one (not instead of). The only thing which seems to be a disadvantage about the new parental control stuff is it made things to do with the kobo store and the home screen a lot more fragile for patching: I needed to remove the disable wishlist patch, as it caused some really unusual touchscreen bugs. I also had a bit of trouble with the redo of the recommendations removal patch, as my first attempt caused the quick tour to be stuck there instead, my second attempt caused a bootloop (and I needed to factory reset), my third attempt made none of the links work, but my last attempt worked fine.

Semwize: About your request for replacing a menu item, I've been working on it and have made some progress. I just need to figure out how to change the set of links used without it segfaulting.
Thanks for your work on this! Guys like me who love to tinker are always grateful.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #24
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
FrustratedReader,

ParentalControls=true
Thanks. I was thinking that might be a possibility!
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #25
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
The main change I noticed on Forma is that now it rotates the unlock screen.
Before if you were holding sleeping Forma upside down and pressing the button to unlock this would draw unlock slider on top, now it rotates to match the book direction once you press the button on side.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #26
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Keep us informed of your progress on that. That would give me more control over getting rid of stuff I truly don't care about on my Kobo. (The only books I have on my Kobo account are grandfathered in from my old Borders account and I don't use Pocket.)
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #27
BaPaRoy
BaPaRoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I just received my Clara HD. When doing setup, it loaded firmware 4.14.12777. I then tried to add books from Calibre and received the following message:

calibre, version 3.42.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 152.

So I have not been able to load any books I presently own until Calibre is able to sync to the Kobo database.
Device firmware version: (4, 14, 12777)
BaPaRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #28
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Read the message. Do what it says. That is safe and a factory reset will not be neccessary.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
And read the thread. The third post tells you what to expect.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #30
Gorcsev
Gorcsev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
hello,

is this new firmware rolling out in waves? While any time I press sync it is not downloading anything new firmware (the sync is going through, without error). Just no new firmware appears.

thank you
Gorcsev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware