Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #16
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The PW3 allows user installed fonts and if the file is a suitable AZW3, embedded fonts in the book. At least with the current and previous FW that allows themes.

Iv'e only seen slow page turns on H20 using poorly formatted PDF image files. Regular plain epubs are fine.
As an aside, to avoid risk of PDF / Postscript malware, Image Magick now won't process PDFs at all. You can change None to Write (safely) in the security properties.

This is for PDFs that are really images/scans and from smaller books/manuals, not Letter or A4 size magazines etc.
OPTIONALLY: Open the PDF and print to PDF (easy in Linux, add one in Windows or use a PDF viewer with one included) and resize to A5.
Then read a PDF into Gimp as layers setting the larger axis to 1024 pixels resolution scale, then Export as .mng format.
then
Code:
convert stories-ireland.mng -reverse -type Grayscale -threshold 55% -crop 610x958+34+34 +repage test.pdf
You may have to adjust -threshold.
Adjust the XY size and X & Y offsets to remove blank margin, watch out for mirrored page formatting, crop must suit even & odd pages.
It makes the PDF fit on the page and background white. The PDF then page turns at a reasonable speed.
I've never had a problem with epub2, old mobi or azw3/KF8 formatted ebooks that are created or converted by Calibre on any ereader for page turn. I set to refresh every page. But then I'm reading not flicking through.

Calibre, nor Adobe, MS or anything else won't convert PDFs that aren't really just text.

Last edited by FrustratedReader; 05-13-2019 at 04:23 PM.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Fire 7, Kindle Paperwhite Manga, Ipad 9.7 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When you go to Books (on the Kobo), do you see "KOBO EPUB" for the book you transferred using Calibre?
Yes, I do.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 AM   #18
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Fire 7, Kindle Paperwhite Manga, Ipad 9.7 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The PW3 allows user installed fonts and if the file is a suitable AZW3, embedded fonts in the book. At least with the current and previous FW that allows themes.

Iv'e only seen slow page turns on H20 using poorly formatted PDF image files. Regular plain epubs are fine.
As an aside, to avoid risk of PDF / Postscript malware, Image Magick now won't process PDFs at all. You can change None to Write (safely) in the security properties.

This is for PDFs that are really images/scans and from smaller books/manuals, not Letter or A4 size magazines etc.
OPTIONALLY: Open the PDF and print to PDF (easy in Linux, add one in Windows or use a PDF viewer with one included) and resize to A5.
Then read a PDF into Gimp as layers setting the larger axis to 1024 pixels resolution scale, then Export as .mng format.
then
Code:
convert stories-ireland.mng -reverse -type Grayscale -threshold 55% -crop 610x958+34+34 +repage test.pdf
You may have to adjust -threshold.
Adjust the XY size and X & Y offsets to remove blank margin, watch out for mirrored page formatting, crop must suit even & odd pages.
It makes the PDF fit on the page and background white. The PDF then page turns at a reasonable speed.
I've never had a problem with epub2, old mobi or azw3/KF8 formatted ebooks that are created or converted by Calibre on any ereader for page turn. I set to refresh every page. But then I'm reading not flicking through.

Calibre, nor Adobe, MS or anything else won't convert PDFs that aren't really just text.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I never use pdfs. I usually convert azw3 files to epub through Calibre or use plain epubs. Maybe there's something wrong with my Kobo reader.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote