Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 01:42 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
-donotaddsource for submission?

When submitting a MOBI file to Amazon, can I use the kindlegen -donotaddsource option?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I believe that you can do that, however there will be consequences.

Excluding the source code from your Master MOBI will most likely prevent Amazon from being able to generate a KFX version of the book, resulting in the Enhanced Typesetting features being unavailable.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would you want to do it, as a matter of interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Which is why I asked the question.

Quote:
Excluding the source code from your Master MOBI will most likely prevent Amazon from being able to generate a KFX version of the book, resulting in the Enhanced Typesetting features being unavailable.
"Most likely"? Is this one of those things where we can only deduce what Amazon's rules are by looking at chicken entrails?
If I convert KF8 back to epub, I get all the features of the epub, except for some changes of style names. When the mobi is just KF7 the code is certainly trashed. So maybe epub isn't necessary if they have KF8. But without a clear OK I'll keep making the fat version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you want to do it, as a matter of interest?
The obvious reason, to reduce filesize.
I do a journal that sometimes has a photo section and can weigh in at several MB for the epub.
The full bloat mobi doubles that or more.
Not a problem for most, but sometimes I have uploaded many "final" versions only to have a change requested and have to remake and re-up the file, and Murphy's Law ensures that will be at a time when my internet connection is dead slow. Rural "broadband" is that in name only here.

Last edited by AlanHK; 10-11-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
"Most likely"? Is this one of those things where we have to deduce what Amazon's rules are by looking using a ouija board?
The results of using this feature are undocumented. I am guessing that not including source files in a Master MOBI may prevent conversion to KFX in the publishing pipeline because the version of kfxgen included in Kindle Previewer 3 is unable to convert a Master MOBI of that type to KFX.
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
the version of kfxgen included in Kindle Previewer 3 is unable to convert a Master MOBI of that type to KFX.
OK.
So Amazon can't use their own file format. Typical.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So Amazon can't use their own file format. Typical.
True, but it is not an issue if you avoid using the undocumented kindlegen option.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Which is why I asked the question.

"Most likely"? Is this one of those things where we can only deduce what Amazon's rules are by looking at chicken entrails?
If I convert KF8 back to epub, I get all the features of the epub, except for some changes of style names. When the mobi is just KF7 the code is certainly trashed. So maybe epub isn't necessary if they have KF8. But without a clear OK I'll keep making the fat version.

The obvious reason, to reduce filesize.
I do a journal that sometimes has a photo section and can weigh in at several MB for the epub.
The full bloat mobi doubles that or more.
Not a problem for most, but sometimes I have uploaded many "final" versions only to have a change requested and have to remake and re-up the file, and Murphy's Law ensures that will be at a time when my internet connection is dead slow. Rural "broadband" is that in name only here.
Stupid question, then, as a fellow rural resident: what about solely uploading the ePUB source, alone, and leaving KDP to the conversion to the final file format?

We give our clients both file types, ePUB and MOBI, each optimized for its own environment because that ensures (ha) that they upload the right file to the right place (mostly, not always, of course--despite emphatically explicit instructions, sure as s**t, ePUBs get uploaded...sigh). We don't give them 'source ePUBs' for MOBI, because an ePUB with media-queries for MOBI won't pass ePUBcheck. We don't want them to get confused--"use this one for B&N, iBooks, etc., but this one for KDP," etc.

But you're not an end-user client. Why not just use your source ePUB, w/media queries and other mobi-specific code, and upload that? That gives you the leanest uploading option, leaner than the -donotaddsource version would be, even. Same end result.

Whatcha think?
Spoiler:
(BTW, you're a braver man than I, Gunga Din, if you do the uploading for your clients!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote