Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
Barto
Barto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paper White, Sony Reader,ADE (Win),BlueFire (And)
'Notes' Semantics in Sigil - usable for file extraction?

Hi all!

Please

I need to extract a certain portion of text (basically contents of a whole chapter) to a separate ePub file that would serve as a demo for potential readers.

So far we have marked one of the files corresponding with the demo chapter prepared in pdf with the 'Notes' semantics in Sigil, but it is not enough. We need to generate a separate ePub file.

Can I take advantage of the 'Notes' semantics in Sigil to do it somehow?

If not, how can I do it?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

THX
Barto
Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Why don't you just make a copy of your epub and delete all the other files from it? Done in seconds.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Barto

Of course you are right, but I treat this as a measure of last resort

I have around 3000 files to run this operation on... :/
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Oh, I see. Good luck then...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know of no turnkey solution for batch sample-epub creation from existing epubs. Sigil itself is not geared toward batch processing to begin with. So there wouldn't even be any way to add the "note" semantic in bulk; let alone batch-create new epubs from them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Since an ePub is a zip file:

You can unzip each zip to a folder
delete all the xhtml files except say the cover, front matter, the chapter you want.

rezip.
You should get a readable ePub, if the reader app isn't too fussy. ePubcheck will of course tell you there are missing files referenced.

If your internal filenames are consistent you might be able to automate this.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
Barto

Do I have to do this using ePubPack or does 7zip suffice?

Tags
demo file, notes, semantics, sigil