Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 09-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Can't find translator's date of death

I am working on Solammbo by Gustave Flaubert, in the J.C. Dent 1913 edition translated by J.C. Chartres. But I can't find any mention of J.C. Chartres on the internet to find out his or her date of death.

Can I assume that he or she died died more than 70 years ago, or do I have to use the N. French Sheldon edition? She died in 1936.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For uploading to MobileRead you can't assume a date of death more than 70 years ago for a work translated ca. 1913.

(I couldn't find anything on J C Chartres either.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If it doesn't have to be the Chartres translation, you can also download a translation by Edward Powys Mathers (1892–1939) from archive.org. The preface by Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–1889) is also out of copyright.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I am working on Solammbo by Gustave Flaubert, in the J.C. Dent 1913 edition translated by J.C. Chartres. But I can't find any mention of J.C. Chartres on the internet to find out his or her date of death.

Can I assume that he or she died died more than 70 years ago, or do I have to use the N. French Sheldon edition? She died in 1936.
I'm poking around and haven't come up with anything definitive yet, other than the translator is J.S. Chartres, not J.C., and the translation in fact was published the same year as the Sheldon edition, in 1886, not 1913. But I can't resist sharing a quote from a press clipping that referred to the Sheldon version as "an extraordinary bad translation."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm no help, but I'm having fun. In an article in the Spectator in 1886 on the two translations, Chartres is described as "an insufficient English gentleman." I wonder where he fell short?
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One wonders whether J S Chartres might be John Smith Chartres (1862-1927)

There seems to be an odd gap in his biography between 1885 and 1902. Perhaps he did some translation work.

Whether he is or not, I can't see any translator working before 1886 still being alive in 1947.

I suppose Alex has the final say, but I don't think there'd be any objection to having this work in the MobileRead library.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm no help, but I'm having fun. In an article in the Spectator in 1886 on the two translations, Chartres is described as "an insufficient English gentleman." I wonder where he fell short?
Perhaps because he really was John Smith Chartres, an Irish Englishman?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

According to a book called Transitions in Middlebrow Writing, 1880 - 1930, Chartres is "probably" John Smith Chartres, an Irish lawyer who died in 1927. This is the same Chartres who is identified as the translator in World Cat, so I hope that's good enough.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One wonders whether J S Chartres might be John Smith Chartres (1862-1927)

There seems to be an odd gap in his biography between 1885 and 1902. Perhaps he did some translation work.

Whether he is or not, I can't see any translator working before 1886 still being alive in 1947.

I suppose Alex has the final say, but I don't think there'd be any objection to having this work in the MobileRead library.
I was working along the same lines as you and it does seem as if J. S. Chartres is that John Smith Chartres - at least I came up with two citations, even though his obit doesn't mention the translations.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Save us, please from the "extraordinary bad translation"!
Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Hmmm.... worldcat.org thinks it was John Smith Chartres, but I can't see any source for the claim.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hmmm.... worldcat.org thinks it was John Smith Chartres, but I can't see any source for the claim.
See my posts above yours, Paul. I came up with another source. A google books search should come up with the relevant page and it did expand on the supporting evidence.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I think we have enough evidence now to say that the translator died in 1927, and so the work is in the public domain in life+70 countries.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks to you all; I really appreciate the work which you have put in to it.

I also need to think about it some more. After thinking about it overnight I had almost decided to use the Mary French Sheldon edition anyway because to me her translation reads more easily, and she has a fascinating biography.

Issybird: could you provide me please with a link to the press article about her translation? What grounds were cited?

Doitsu: thanks to the link for the third translation. I'm tempted to use that one after having a quick look, but the spelling is different and and it doesn't seem to use diacritics. It also has illustrations, which would be an advantage if my graphic skills weren't so limited. From the few pages I read it reads more easily to me that the Chartres translation.

Decisions, decisions.

P.S. I've looked again at the cover of the J.M. Dent & Sons edition, and it definitely is J.C. Chartres. One presumes the publishers would get the translator's initials right.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
P.S. I've looked again at the cover of the J.M. Dent & Sons edition, and it definitely is J.C. Chartres. One presumes the publishers would get the translator's initials right.
The publisher might not. Especially as it was 30 years since the translation was done, and he's not a well-known translator.