Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
daniel.weck
daniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with others

Device: ipad
Question

Has anyone tried this?
(I haven't)

http://www.xldir.com/smil-synchronize.html
daniel.weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Hi Daniel,

thank you for your feedback about Tobi and Readium SDK. I look forward seeing the outcomes of Readium SDK, because I do really care about Audio-eBooks.

(Side note, you might want to pass this along to whom is in charge of the website: on readium.org there are several different pages and links to docs dealing with the licensing details of Readium SDK for non-members of the Readium Foundation, and it is difficult to tell what are the exact licensing terms applicable to that case, especially for FOSS projects.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.weck View Post
Has anyone tried this?
(I haven't)

http://www.xldir.com/smil-synchronize.html
With respect to the creation of the SMIL synchronization map and the insertion of the required id's in the XHTML source, it essentially does what Tobi does, but "in the browser". No auto sync, as far as I understand.

EDIT: clarification.

Last edited by AlPe; 09-27-2013 at 10:34 AM.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
daniel.weck
daniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with othersdaniel.weck plays well with others

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
It essentially does what Tobi does, but "in the browser".
Interactive waveform editor, audio resampling, etc. ??
(genuinely asking, I do not know the tool)
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
daniel.weck

Smile

Quote:
(Side note, you might want to pass this along to whom is in charge of the website: on readium.org there are several different pages and links to docs dealing with the licensing details of Readium SDK for non-members of the Readium Foundation, and it is difficult to tell what are the exact licensing terms applicable to that case, especially for FOSS projects.)
Bill McCoy's email address on this page:

http://readium.org/membership/application

Thanks for your feedback Alberto!!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.weck View Post
Interactive waveform editor, audio resampling, etc. ??
(genuinely asking, I do not know the tool)
Sorry, no, I was just speaking about creating the sync map (the SMIL file), which features a mechanism (play + press spacebar) similar to TOBI --- but other functions like audio editing are missing in that web app. (I will amend the previous post.).
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Moreover, there are so few readers for this type of product, although Alpe's company apparently made the investment to create a tool, I wouldn't do it at mine. If we had a much larger demand for this type of work, of course, we would, but the demand for it, at least at my shop, is negligible. We did 24 titles in the fall-winter of last year, and another....5? 7? this year, so we have made about the same number as Alpe's shop, which I think probably is indicative of demand. The 24 last winter was anomalous, I would normally not expect our shop to do more than 10 a year, not at this point in time, not until more reading devices/apps support it.
You are certainly right Hitch. Respect. You know your business.

Rest of this post is just to share my experience and is off topic wrt the OP.

This is epub3 stuff was new to me so I wanted to try for myself on some sample books. I used Chrome+Readium today.

My initial thought was « Why would anyone use this? If you listen to a book, this is because you can't read it, you are in your car or jogging with your earphones on. If you are reading the ebook, then you don't need to be distracted by a narrator. This is still one more silly epub3 audio/video feature that can only attract geeks like me »

Turns out I was wrong. It didn't hurt my reading experience, to the contrary the professional well paced voice in sync with highlighted text merrily took me through the book. I felt like a long time ago, my mother reading me a book while pointing at the words. It was fun.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Plus, let me state again the importance of reading+listening for learning foreign languages.

[Self-Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-18-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: restate != state again ; Italian->English false friend
Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
You are certainly right Hitch. Respect. You know your business.

Rest of this post is just to share my experience and is off topic wrt the OP.

This is epub3 stuff was new to me so I wanted to try for myself on some sample books. I used Chrome+Readium today.

My initial thought was « Why would anyone use this? If you listen to a book, this is because you can't read it, you are in your car or jogging with your earphones on. If you are reading the ebook, then you don't need to be distracted by a narrator. This is still one more silly epub3 audio/video feature that can only attract geeks like me »

Turns out I was wrong. It didn't hurt my reading experience, to the contrary the professional well paced voice in sync with highlighted text merrily took me through the book. I felt like a long time ago, my mother reading me a book while pointing at the words. It was fun.
I actually think this is a wonderful use for children, and of course, for anyone visually impaired. I adored the books we made for Fergus the Ferry--I really did. I don't say that due to bias, I think that they are absolutely fabulous kids' books, and the read-along (iBooks and Nook only--Nook has a different implementation than SMIL) was a hoot.

Maybe, due to PoP's insight, I'll have to rethink this for adult books. I mean, grown-up books, not "adult" books. Hell, you guys know what I mean!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I wonder how long before Amazon jumps into this field since they own Audible.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

They already did, but with relatively small success as far as I can tell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000827761
Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
They already did, but with relatively small success as far as I can tell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000827761
Hard to know. 20K titles?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #27
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

The "scarcity" of available titles is already indicative of something, doesn't it?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #28
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

BTW, we just released 111 English Short Stories, for free, in EPUB 3 Audio-eBook format (= reflowable EPUB 3 + Media Overlays, hence enabling text highlighting and tap-to-play). The files are available here: https://readbeyond.it/shortstories.html