Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Turning pages

Sometimes I notice (not always) that I will tap the screen to turn the page and nothing happens. I will sometimes have to tap it two to three times or tap a different spot for it to work. I always tap near the edge of the screen but mostly near the bottom edge. Will firmware fix this?
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
I too have a similar problem at times. I have tried a longer press, a short tap, a long finger, and a short finger (as in vertical). Nothing seems to work consistently when the page turns are being recalcitrant.

However, once the screen taps start behaving themselves again, it works much more reliably - until the next time.

It does disturb my reading pleasure, as it is a distraction when the page doesn't turn as expected......
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
snirp
snirp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had the same problem - and almost returned it but the firmware update solved it right away. I believe it was the 1.9.4 update. It is much more responsive now.
snirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
HD10180
HD10180 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Using latest version 1.9.6, I do encounter often this problem. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I have to hold a little bit longer to get the page turned. It randomly works for say 10 pages and then the problem comes back. I noticed it does sometimes go to a page which has the word highlighted and I need to close it first. Can this new page request can be prevented through configuration?

Does the turning page response issue is due to the large size of epub file? I do need to tap the center to get around the problem.
HD10180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I've noticed that when a tap doesn't work, a swipe does.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Motto
Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ics1974 View Post
Sometimes I notice (not always) that I will tap the screen to turn the page and nothing happens. I will sometimes have to tap it two to three times or tap a different spot for it to work. I always tap near the edge of the screen but mostly near the bottom edge. Will firmware fix this?
Note that there does seem to be a "dead band" along the bottom of the screen. It seems to exist along the horizontal axis at approximately the same place as the progress bar that appears when one clicks on the middle of the screen (in book). Maybe this is the area your are touching?

There is a thread that has discussed these "dead spots". The link is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=dead+spots
Motto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD10180 View Post
Using latest version 1.9.6, I do encounter often this problem. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I have to hold a little bit longer to get the page turned. It randomly works for say 10 pages and then the problem comes back. I noticed it does sometimes go to a page which has the word highlighted and I need to close it first. Can this new page request can be prevented through configuration?

Does the turning page response issue is due to the large size of epub file? I do need to tap the center to get around the problem.
This happens to me, but I KNOW that at least in my case that it's NOT a "dead" "zone", but that the Kobo Touch seems to be doing something and NOT immediately responding to screen "gestures" as it'll eventually execute ALL(most?) of the gestures after a period of time.

I find that this lack of responsiveness to gestures seems to occur most often AFTER a "sleep" cycle. I've noticed this behavior in both 1.9.5 and .6 which are the only two that I've really used as 1.9.5 was released the week before I got my KT and that's what the desktop sw put on it. (I knew that I had to use the desktop sw as IIRC the 1.9 OOB couldn't do OTA updates...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motto View Post
Note that there does seem to be a "dead band" along the bottom of the screen. It seems to exist along the horizontal axis at approximately the same place as the progress bar that appears when one clicks on the middle of the screen (in book). Maybe this is the area your are touching?

There is a thread that has discussed these "dead spots". The link is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=dead+spots
This is exactly what I am talking about. Only happens when in a book as well. I tested using the drawing tool and I can draw in the dead zone. Not a big issue but hopefully this gets fixed soon.
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote