Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
temp0rary
temp0rary began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Looking for a good pdf reader with front light and in the right size..

Hi.
I read this link:
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-2018-edition/

The Onyx Boox N96ML is out of sale now right? Does anyone of you have any suggestions on a good e-reader with a front light? Like the kindle paper white, but better for pdf's, and everything else. I would like it to not be very expensive. I would appreciate some tips. Thanks!
temp0rary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are we talking PDF's made for the screen size of the device or something like Letter Size or A4 PDF's?

IMO tablets make better PDF readers in general, but if I was looking for something eInk I'd try for the biggest screen I could. Maybe something like a Kobo Aura One or Kinde Oasis 2. Without knowing where you are you may also have access to the PocketBook InkPad 3 or Tolino Epos which both also have a 7.8" screen (don't know much about them beyond that). AFAIK none of the current 9" plus Onyx devices (Note, Note S, Max) have a light although I could easily be wrong about that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
TBH, even with my 10 inch tablet, some pdf are pretty unreadable. E.g. strategy game guides for pc games, which are e versions of large books.
Prima games have taken to offering their own specially tailored versions of some of those. Much more readable but you cannot download them even after buying, you can only read online at their web site.
I have made the mistake of buying some Kindle versions of game guides, which are pseudo pdf.i.e. something non flowing but wrapped up in an azw container and those are awful even on tablet. On my paperwhite, in grey scale, they are useless.
Pdf of sheet music is equally disappointing, for me , anyway. They need to stay as a4. I read that some musicians get by with iPad versions but they probably have way better eyesight than I have
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You can use a convertor to change a pdf to the right size. I cant remember the name of it. It will work work with any ereader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Apple iPad Pro goes to 12.9" which should do what you want. There are also E Ink devices in 13.3" size. Check our wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
temp0rary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are we talking PDF's made for the screen size of the device or something like Letter Size or A4 PDF's?

IMO tablets make better PDF readers in general, but if I was looking for something eInk I'd try for the biggest screen I could. Maybe something like a Kobo Aura One or Kinde Oasis 2. Without knowing where you are you may also have access to the PocketBook InkPad 3 or Tolino Epos which both also have a 7.8" screen (don't know much about them beyond that). AFAIK none of the current 9" plus Onyx devices (Note, Note S, Max) have a light although I could easily be wrong about that.
Pardon my late reply..
The size only needs to be big enough to read pdf's.
I am sometimes zooming in on the Kindle white paper, but the reader is way to small for that!
I can check out Kobo aura one. The onyx note don't have a light.. I have no idea why they stopped selling readers with light, when it comes to Onyx.
I will find a good pdf reader in time.. Feels like the market could be better when it comes to a front light, etc. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
temp0rary

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
TBH, even with my 10 inch tablet, some pdf are pretty unreadable. E.g. strategy game guides for pc games, which are e versions of large books.
Prima games have taken to offering their own specially tailored versions of some of those. Much more readable but you cannot download them even after buying, you can only read online at their web site.
I have made the mistake of buying some Kindle versions of game guides, which are pseudo pdf.i.e. something non flowing but wrapped up in an azw container and those are awful even on tablet. On my paperwhite, in grey scale, they are useless.
Pdf of sheet music is equally disappointing, for me , anyway. They need to stay as a4. I read that some musicians get by with iPad versions but they probably have way better eyesight than I have
Good to know! I thought 10" would be big enough. Perhaps 13" then.. I tried pdf on a 6" Kindle, but it don't really work. Too small. Perhaps 10" is to small also then..
13" would be cool, but they are also the most expensive ones. An front lit 13" would not be wrong!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
temp0rary

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Apple iPad Pro goes to 12.9" which should do what you want. There are also E Ink devices in 13.3" size. Check our wiki.
I will check it out! I am looking for an e-ink device because it's way better for the eyes! I will look around at 11-13" devices then.