Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
wintertrader
wintertrader began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3
Is it worth getting the Sony reader 900 at 250 $ ?

Hi,

I love gadgets and I am an avid reader and was wondering if it is worth getting the Sony reader 900 , considering the low price they sell it now ?

Or maby to wait and see what Sony brings out during fall. Some new Nook I've heard is coming out in late fall.
Market is getting crowded, but I guess not for long.

I love my Ipad for all kinds of things mostly news, internet, apps, reader fonction.

I preordered the new Kindle 3. I have been always a big Amazon fan but never jumped on the Kindle thing because of the format, color, size, etc. But I feel I owe it to Bezos this time. I am always on amazon to look out for things, books , reviews for anything and I think K 3 it is great looking and with 3 G what more you can want ( except epub???)

I returned a PRS 600 because of the glare and price ( it was expensive at that time - before Christmas).

And returned just in time an Aluratek Libre because of poor battery life. I was charging more than reading. Maby my unit was defective but could not stand to try another one. So I decided to buy the Nook in about a week (planned a trip down to US - I am in Canada, 50-60 km from the border) when the announcement for K3 was made.

S0 I jumped on it. I am glad I did. I am as excited to get it as i was to get the Ipad. Which I guess it is a good thing.

But I' d like to have a native epub reader too and one that I can borrow from the library with.

So I thought of the Sony 900 being at 250 right now would make some sense. But not sure of what else is coming. One thing is sure. The last 8-10 months were great to follow the new developments and price drops. So I guess the next 8 would be even more fun to watch.

Last edited by wintertrader; 08-02-2010 at 11:59 AM.
wintertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertrader View Post
Hi,

I love gadgets and I am an avid reader and was wondering if it is worth getting the Sony reader 900 , considering the low price they sell it now ?

Or maby to wait and see what Sony brings out during fall. Some new Nook I've heard is coming out in late fall.
Market is getting crowded, but I guess not for long.

I love my Ipad for all kinds of things mostly news, internet, apps, reader fonction.

I preordered the new Kindle 3. I have been always a big Amazon fan but never jumped on the Kindle thing because of the format, color, size, etc. But I feel I owe it to Bezos this time. I am always on amazon to look out for things, books , reviews for anything and I think K 3 it is great looking and with 3 G what more you can want ( except epub???)

I returned a PRS 600 because of the glare and price ( it was expensive at that time - before Christmas).

And returned just in time an Aluratek Libre because of poor battery life. I was charging more than reading. Maby my unit was defective but could not stand to try another one. So I decided to buy the Nook in about a week (planned a trip down to US - I am in Canada, 50-60 km from the border) when the announcement for K3 was made.

S0 I jumped on it. I am glad I did. I am as excited to get it as i was to get the Ipad. Which I guess it is a good thing.

But I' d like to have a native epub reader too and one that I can borrow from the library with.

So I thought of the Sony 900 being at 250 right now would make some sense. But not sure of what else is coming. One thing is sure. The last 8-10 months were great to follow the new developments and price drops. So I guess the next 8 would be even more fun to watch.

I would get a Kindle or Nook that way you can read the same books on your ipad with the Kindle or nook app that is available for it - and if you have an android or iphone read the same books on your phone - buy once read everywhere. Sony will lock you into just reading on their device and your PC or mac
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I really think it's worth it.

There are plenty of things I love about the PRS900.

The size really suits me. Still portable, but larger than your typical 6" devices.

3G is nice when travelling - I get my newspapers delivered in the morning. And I have bought books on the fly when bored in a hotel room. Well, ok, that might not be a good thing...

I love the touchscreen for taking notes on my PDFs. That's probably the main reason I bought a PRS900.

It's also very well built. A solid device, feels - and is - sturdy.

I love the access to various formats - I have downloaded a lot of free books, from Google, Project Gutenberg and so forth.

On the other side, it does have its problems. The glare is still there - it doesn't really bother me, but it obviously bothers some people. And it could have better contrast. SONY's software is... well, SONY's software. They are a hardware company, and it shows.

Overall... I think one should try it, and see if the screen contrast and glare are a problem, as that seems to be very subjective. But I think it's well worth its cost.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I've asked for this thread to be re-positioned - it doesn't 'fit' in the "News" Forum ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
I would recommend the 900.

My ereader experience (not including Handspring then win mobile devices or other smart phones) include;

Sony 500
Sony 505
Sony 900 (returned to BestBuy when they refused to give me the hard cover)
B&N Nook (sold on craigslist after 3 months of use even with the latest updates I just hated the lack of book organization)
Back to Sony 900. Bought at Best Buy for $249 with everything, love it.

During the first few days of using the 900 it did take some getting used too, but ever since then it has easily become my favorite reader of all time. I have been reading on e-ink since the Sony first introduced the 500.

Last edited by trevgriff; 08-02-2010 at 12:27 PM.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
wintertrader
wintertrader began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I've asked for this thread to be re-positioned - it doesn't 'fit' in the "News" Forum ...
Thanks

I somehow did not realize that I was't posting to the right place.
wintertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I can't recommend it because of the screen. Make sure you compare the glare and lower contrast of the 900 to something like the Nook. Make sure you buy it somewhere that does not charge a restocking fee on returns.

If I had to buy a new reader today I think I'd go for the new Kindle with WiFi. IMO of course.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Thanks

I somehow did not realize that I was't posting to the right place.

Not to worry, it gave the Mods something to do during an idle minute ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Hi,

I love gadgets and I am an avid reader and was wondering if it is worth getting the Sony reader 900 ... my Ipad ... I preordered the new Kindle 3 ... I returned a PRS 600 ... And returned just in time an Aluratek Libre ... So I decided to buy the Nook in about a week ... So I thought of the Sony 900
You seem to have bought everything else currently available so why not get the 900.
I did notice you haven't bought a pocketbook 360 or a Bebook Neo - was this just an oversight?
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
You can share books between the prs900 and iPad if you buy your books from kobo, borders, or fiction wise. They all have iPad apps.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote