Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #61
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles and Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series...

Yeah yeah, I know - that's 26 books hehe...

Did you know that Dunnett's Lymond series are now available for the Kindle. I just bought them in DTB for last month :-(
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #62
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
  • When Gravity Fails by Alec Effinger
  • The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey (genuinely funny but intelligent)
  • A Fool's Progress by Edward Abbey (more of the same, seditiously funny)
  • Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey (non-fiction just beautiful writing)
  • The Callahan Chronicles by Spider Robinson (Omnibus edition of the Callahan short stories that started it all)

I was going to stop at four simply because I could go on and on but had to add the Callahan Chronicles because they are just pleasant Social-SF reading offering a chance to look at the world from a different POV...but anything by Abbey and Effinger (at least Budayeen Nights is there but I feel it's better to read When Gravity Fails first)
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #63
melonhead
melonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-booksmelonhead has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Sony Pocket Reader
Just 2 so far:

The Once and Future King by T. H. White,

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #64
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"The Last Man on Earth" Isaac Asimov.

"The Halloween Tree" Ray Bradbury

Richard Matheson's Collected Stories, Vols 1,2,3
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #65
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
I would love to get You're Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger by Roger Hall -- a side-splittingly funny account of being in the OSS during WWII. I read it as a teenager, as it was recommended to me by my dad who was a WWII vet with a great sense of humor, and I couldn't stop laughing. Now that my eyes are no longer young, I really want to read it again, but it needs to be in digital form for that.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #66
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In the '60s John Gardner wrote a series of books about a reluctant spy named Boysie Oakes, the most famous of which was the first, called The Liquidator.

None of the Boysie Oakes books are available as ebooks, and I wish they all were.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm just going to list authors: Heinlein, Bradbury, Steinbeck. I'd like to see their entire catalogs available. (some probably are available)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #68
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

These Star Wars books by Timothy Zahn were the first and best. While a lot of the newer books in the Star Wars Universe are "meh", these 3 really kept the spirit of the movies alive. I read them way back when they first came out and would love to revisit them on the Kindle.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #69
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I don't suppose there's any hope wishing but here's a recent list of books I've tried to buy but found them unavailable in eBook form.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery
The Vampire Lestat series by Anne Rice
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
The Stranger, by Albert Camus
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #70
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Durant's The History of Civilization - in 11 volumes

Spengler's The Decline of The West

E.E. Smith's Lensman series -7 volumes
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #71
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I would love it if all of Ray Bradbury's work became available in ebook format (although he doesn't seem to be too thrilled with the idea, apparently...)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #72
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
To Kill a Mockingbird (as mentioned in another thread)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #73
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I'd love to see:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - the newer edition with all the commentary and footnotes
the Basil of Baker Street Series by Eve Titus
The Fireshaper's Doom series by Tom Deitz. I loaned my pbooks to a friend just before she found drugs, and the dippy things are out of print now.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #74
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
My #1 ebook format available these days would be Jane Gardam's Old Filth.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #75
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Off the top of my head:

Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot

and anything by Taylor Caldwell.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote