Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
Strange files (numbers, dashes) - Dropbox Link

Does anyone know what these strange book entries are? They're a string of numbers, dashes, letters. [image attached].

I save my Calibre library in Dropbox. I just changed my Dropbox search path from 'everywhere' to 'custom' and pointed it more directly at my Calibre folder. My actual books are still there, but I have lots of these long numbers strings. Looks like there's about 200 of these funny files based on the file count.

I downloaded/opened one and it is a book that I have, but that book has an actual title file entry too. They're all on top as if they're the most recently changed/added files.

Hidden files? Earlier epub versions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Mar 24, 3 22 58 PM.png
Views:	461
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	163037  
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If that is your Calibre folder could it be something related to your Calibre database?? Syncing files, or something??

If it's in your Marvin folder then I would think it is definitely the Sync files. My Marvin specific files are saved in the "..\Apps\com.marvinapp\Sync" folder and have file names very similar.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

I wasn't able to find these files in my Calibre folder, so I'm not sure. Your folder - "..\Apps\com.marvinapp\Sync" - is that a folder on your computer that you've created? I don't think I've noticed a Marvin folder?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
That is a folder in my dropbox account that was created by Marvin when I linked to dropbox... although I'm not sure if it was Marvin 2.0 or 3.0 that created the folder?? The sync files that marvin created have similar names but are .r1 file types not .epub like yours. That's why I was wondering if they were sync files from calibre. They may also be files from other servers like itunes if you have them linked to your dropbox.

Since they ARE .epub files, have you used Sigil or Calibre Editor to open one of them up and see what it is?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That is a folder in my dropbox account that was created by Marvin when I linked to dropbox... although I'm not sure if it was Marvin 2.0 or 3.0 that created the folder?? The sync files that marvin created have similar names but are .r1 file types not .epub like yours. That's why I was wondering if they were sync files from calibre. They may also be files from other servers like itunes if you have them linked to your dropbox.

Since they ARE .epub files, have you used Sigil or Calibre Editor to open one of them up and see what it is?
The .r1 files are likely from Marvin 2 for syncing bookmarks and reading progress. Iirc, Marvin 3 switched to iCloud instead of Dropbox.

Those look like uuid to me. That said, I don't know what program created these epub files. Marvin doesn't sync ebook files to Dropbox while Calibre uses Author/Title (id)/Title file name convention.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

The mystery deepens. I never did have a Marvin folder. I'll open one on my computer next time - maybe that will shine some light. It's just strange. It happened after I narrowed the Dropbox path, but I don't know if that timing was a coincidence.