Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Mecallie
Mecallie began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Carta N96ML
Buying my 3rd e-reader.

Alright, I have once again started reading. Right now I have a PocketBook Pro 603. Still functioning perfectly, but a bit slow in page turning and sometimes I have to go back a page because there is to much ghosting.

So I am looking for a new e-reader.

I have some requirements for it beforehand:
At least 6,8", preferably a bit larger.
Less than 10".
Illumination (preferably with a night mode/rgb)
No vendor lock in (must read epub, mobi, etc.) and no ADS! I buy my e-books, usually in a drm-less version. I want it to be "mine" and not "licenced" by some company.
Must be compatible with Calibre. No problems converting formats in Calibre if needed.

Also important: as close to a real book as possible.
The text should be as close to the surface as possible, just like real ink. If possible no "indented" bezel.
Buttons. I don't have experience with the latest touchscreens on e-readers, but I like to read one handed. Unless a small "thumb swipe" will work I need buttons for it

I don't need internet access, apps, games, etc. No problem if it's there, but don't need it.

Right now I am looking at the following:
Onyx Books N96 (which model?) EDIT: I mean the ONYX BOOX T76ML Carta+ !!
Kobo Aura one.

But I think I am missing lot's. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by Mecallie; 02-08-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Mecallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you considered the Kindle Oasis 2? Excellent reader with a 7" screen, flush glass screen, good light, 8GB or 32GB storage options, and physical page-turn buttons. Trivial to convert ePub to KF8 with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Given your requirements, I think the Kobo Aura One would be a good fit for you. The only part that's lacking is buttons, but as I thumb-swipe my H2O all the time it would probably work ok for you. Despite being larger, the Aura One weighs 3g less then my H2O and I use the H2O one-handed. (I find the H2O so light that I have to double-check the inside jacket pocket I usually carry it in.)

Another advantage to the Aura One is that it has Overdrive integration which works with a lot of libraries. Depending on where you're based that might have value to you. I borrow a *lot* of library books with my H2O.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Also, with the Kobo Aura One, you won't have to convert your ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #5
Mecallie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you considered the Kindle Oasis 2? Excellent reader with a 7" screen, flush glass screen, good light, 8GB or 32GB storage options, and physical page-turn buttons. Trivial to convert ePub to KF8 with Calibre.
Well, actually not. I thought this would mean I could only read the books from Amazon. I am also a bit squeemish about ads: they are not going to put those in? Might be just me, Amazon is just not my kind of company. I do like the real buttons and the layout of it! Will read in to it

And converting formats with Calibre is fine, I have no problems with that.
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 AM   #6
Mecallie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Given your requirements, I think the Kobo Aura One would be a good fit for you. The only part that's lacking is buttons, but as I thumb-swipe my H2O all the time it would probably work ok for you. Despite being larger, the Aura One weighs 3g less then my H2O and I use the H2O one-handed. (I find the H2O so light that I have to double-check the inside jacket pocket I usually carry it in.)

Another advantage to the Aura One is that it has Overdrive integration which works with a lot of libraries. Depending on where you're based that might have value to you. I borrow a *lot* of library books with my H2O.
Any reason to prefer this over the ONYX BOOX T76ML Carta+ (sorry, I put in the wrong model in my first post!)? Since that has touch/stylus AND backlight, I am wondering if the ink might be further from the screen then on the Aura One?

The library integration is going to be useless: in the Netherlands you can go to the library. You can borrow audio books online, but that's not my thing.

I do think I like the looks of the Aura one a bit more. But that's not really something I would buy it on
Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecallie View Post
Well, actually not. I thought this would mean I could only read the books from Amazon. I am also a bit squeemish about ads: they are not going to put those in? Might be just me, Amazon is just not my kind of company. I do like the real buttons and the layout of it! Will read in to it

And converting formats with Calibre is fine, I have no problems with that.
No problem to sideload your own content, and no ads unless you choose to get $20 off the price by buying an "ad-supported" version of the device. If you do choose to get the discount, there are ads on the screensaver and at the bottom of the library screen, but not when you're actually reading a book. If you buy the ad-supported version, you can turn it into an ad-free device at any time by paying the $20.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-08-2018 at 05:35 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote