Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
CRich - be bold and resolute! Don't be bashful, really give your name a good size boost (quite probably put it back on just one line).

Try moving "write" over so that it wraps around the pens. Maybe deepen the blue of the text a bit more. The subtitle can be made a big bigger/bolder too, I think.

With the background so much in your face you really need to push the title etc. more to make them show up.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Is this what you meant gmw?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The 10 Day Pre-writing Workbook (7).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	161407  

Last edited by crich70; 01-09-2018 at 08:11 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I must be the odd duck. I like the first one best. Maybe make the title stand out a little more.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I must be the odd duck. I like the first one best. Maybe make the title stand out a little more.
When you say "first one" - are talking about the post #1, or one of the earlier versions of the pads and pens?

CRich, at last I can read your name in the thumbnail. You're starting to get there, I think. With the subtitle moved away, there is room to push the title font size even more - and I think it still needs it.

I'm still trying to work out how you can get all the elements to sit nicely together on this image, because I'd like to see the author name drop down a bit, but then it's going to hit on the edge of the table(?) and I'm not sure how that's going to look. And I am not really convinced that the subtitle is working where it is either ... it looks accidental. A lot of this stuff is down to playing around. Don't be frightened of the edges, they won't bite and for ebook publication you don't need margins here. So you can keep pushing the text size and position until you get the elements into their proper proportions.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #20
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
I'd say it looks better than the original, but you might want to try a more interesting font for the blue print.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How is this for a font change?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The 10 Day Pre-writing Workbook (8).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	161408  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #22
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm not fond of the "stencil" font. I like a serif font for the title, but larger and I'd keep the two parts of the title closer together. I like sans serif for the author's name at the bottom of the cover image. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it, but I find the slanted line (a paper edge?) at your author's name to be a bit distracting.

Looking forward to seeing this!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Alas I can't do much about the slant short of stretching the image. I only found one sarif font via Canva.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The 10 Day Pre-writing Workbook (9).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	161411  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
When you say "first one" - are talking about the post #1, or one of the earlier versions of the pads and pens?
The one in post #1.

(This is starting to look like "design by committee" and you know how that usually works out.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The one in post #1.

(This is starting to look like "design by committee" and you know how that usually works out.)
Well I do agree that the 1st one was a bit dark. In the end i will have to choose which one to go with. I don't mind some constructive crits though, and I do want the cover to grab interest.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Yes, you need a great cover.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 AM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

CRich, I quite like post #23. I like the choice of title font for a non-fiction work, and the font colours (the blue and the red) I think suit the notepad background very well (these seem reminiscent of the lines often printed on such paper). But...

You're losing your author name again - go back to the darker font, or make this one bolder/darker (it does not have to be the same font as the title).

Use your space a bit better: you have room on the right to expand your title and get a more centred/balanced appearance. Don't increase the font size, I think that just increasing the kerning (spacing between the letters) might be enough to give the balance this needs. And perhaps darken the title colour back to something like post #17.

You do understand that all this advice is "all in my opinion which does not sound quite so humble as it probably should" - don't you? I mean, it's not like I'm rolling in so much success that my advice should be written in gold letters or anything.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The fonts used need replacing. They don't work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Why the comma? That sends a bad signal to me in a book about writing.

The discussion has moved on, but I was also bothered by the two errors in your original title. I'll ask what everyone is asked: Have you had the text vetted?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Why the comma? That sends a bad signal to me in a book about writing.

The discussion has moved on, but I was also bothered by the two errors in your original title. I'll ask what everyone is asked: Have you had the text vetted?
Yes, I had someone here give me a fresh pair of eyes and offer some notes on editing it.