Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis, iphones, android, old kindles, fire phoned
Tapatalk cutting off the top of posts?

(back checking mobileread forums after most of a decade away)

Problem:
Since trying to post on a smartphone is a pretty trying experience, I played with the mobile site a bit, and with Tapatalk.

And I noticed that Tapatalk didn't show the top part of a longish post of mine.

A quick forum search told me that Tapatalk sometimes makes portions of a post invisible, if some troublesome bb code in is the post.

But, afaik I don't have any bb code in my post. I certainly didn't intend to have any.

Anyway my "classic masterpiece" (or "long-winded drivel") of a post is this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=257

On the regular site, and the mobile site, the post shows up properly in full (aside from the usual probs of "comment quality control", of course.)

Viewing this same post within Tapatalk shows me only the portion if the post starting with and including the first
"; )",
and down to the end, I guess.

The early portions of the post are missing from view in talkatap.

Ideas? Fixes?

Do I need to fix a different default entry and editing view on the desktop mobileread site (ie straight text, or some formatting complexity, or more formatting complexity), in order to fix this, if formatting code is what confuses Tapatalk?

Do I assume that, by using Tapatalk, I might be missing "invisible portions" of other members' posts?

-

Also:
Is there somewhere a pretty good list of what can or can't be done on Tapatalk or on the .mobi site, vs the full site?
Perhaps in the wiki?

How up-to-date and complete is the wiki? Pretty complete, or more a work in progress?

-
Apologies for n00b questions.

Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It looks fine from here on Tapatalk. What version are you using?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It looks fine from here on Tapatalk. What version are you using?

Sent from my XT1528
Using iOS 7.02 of Tapatalk, which is current.

Are you writing that post using Tapatalk? Do you send a really long post? Starting with:

>Just logged onto MobileRead for the first time in nearly a decade. Have missed so much.

I'm not seeing any of that in iOS Tapatalk. Just see stuff starting with

>; )

And the following text. Which is pretty far down.

Can I post screenshots here?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes screenshots would be helpful. I only use Tapatalk but I'm on Android. Make sure you're not use your phones emojis they do not work with the forum. You have to write them out the old fashioned way.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
f00l
aka bad typist

Quote:
Yes screenshots would be helpful. I only use Tapatalk but I'm on Android. Make sure not use your phones emojis they do not work with the forum. You have to write them out the old fashioned way.

Sent from my XT1528

Yes. Re "; )", I always type those.

Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

It could be the latest Tapatalk is not compatible with the forum. We have another mod who does have iOS and uses Tapatalk I'll see what he sees in Tapatalk.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 11-26-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
f00l
aka bad typist

Tapatalk cutting off the top of posts?

Quote:
It could be the latest Tapatalk is not compatible with the forum. We have another mod who does have iOS and uses Tapatalk I'll see what he sees me in Tapatalk.

Sent from my XT1528

Screenshots

From ios Tapatalk
Click image for larger version

Name:	3e84ce68b9221e329eabd6fa3193ce15.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	160249

From .mobi site/iOS chrome

Name:	d5e449ed9b878f5aea4c72d85907d0bd.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	160250

From desktop site/iOS chrome

Name:	a8601c96f4b163e5a861aa5855d4c2d3.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	160251

Incidentally, I uploaded them using Tapatalk (for ease, small screen), and directed the "medium" resolution.

Is that the best resolution? Or is it too big? What is preferred on Mobileread for uploading pix when very high resolution isn't critical?

Last edited by issybird; 12-06-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Just to answer your earlier questions. I have never had any post of any length cut off. I've posted plenty of long posts with Tapatalk. I'm currently on my Moto E. It's my preferred method of browsing the forum. I also use my Nexus 7 but for typing long posts I use my phone which for me is easier to type on.

Somethings that do not work in Tapatalk is polls and code tags. Some emotes will not work you will only see the code for them such as it doesn't work.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00l View Post
Screenshots

Is that the best resolution? Or is it too big? What is preferred on Mobileread for uploading pix when very high resolution isn't critical?

600x600 is the limit on inline images. If bigger it's best to attached them or it messes with the table width of the thread.

On my Tapatalk the entire post shows up. It's not truncated in anyway.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 11-26-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
f00l
aka bad typist

Quote:
Just to answer your earlier questions. I have never had any post of any length cut off. I've posted plenty of long posts with Tapatalk. I'm currently on my Moto E. It's my preferred method of browsing the forum. I also use my Nexus 7 but for typing long posts I use my phone which for me is easier to type on.
Somethings that do not work in Tapatalk is polls and code tags. Some emotes will not work you will only see the code for them such as it doesn't work.
Sent from my XT1528
I don't know anything about those sorts of codes yet. Been a long time since I participated in this sort of forum. And I don't usually use that stuff.
To me, those responses are fine, but don't illuminate as well as something more personal.
Or whatever. Perhaps I'm just old. ; )
-
I left this info out:
The original long post - the problem child post with invisible parts for me - was created on the desktop site, from my iPhone, using chrome.
The post was not created in tapatalk, and not on the mobile site, Fwiw.
When I go to the desktop site and attempt an edit, I can't see any bb code in the post that might get sticky for tapatalk.
-
I presume that if we create a post using tapatalk, no edit function is included in the app? To edit, go to the desktop site?

Last edited by f00l; 11-26-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I'm not sure I can edit my posts but I'm an Editor. Someone who is not would have to confirm if you can edit posts in Tapatalk. I do believe you can or could. I remember doing so I think. You just tap on the post and the edit option which is a pencil icon should appear at the top toolbar.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
f00l
aka bad typist

Quote:
600x600 is the limit on inline images. If bigger it's best to attached them or it messes with the table width of the thread.
Sent from my XT1528
How/where can I learn how to use the formatting options?
Never learned HTML. Have no *clew*. But can learn digital stuff.
Know of any good sites for explanations or tutorials?

Last edited by f00l; 11-26-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
f00l
aka bad typist

Quote:
if you can edit posts in Tapatalk. I do believe you can or could. I remember doing so I think. You just tap on the post and the edit option which is a pencil icon should appear at the top toolbar.
Sent from my XT1528
you can. Which is to say, I (happy peon) can edit in tapatalk. Thx for hint.
I taped in a post in tapatalk and an edit option popped up.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So where are the screen shots?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So where are the screen shots?
As far as I could tell, they only displayed in Chrome and they were huge. Now that I've resized them, I can see them in IE and Firefox as well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote