Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #91
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can obviously try different values .

For ref., it should default to 4 on 300dpi devices and the base cell size is 8x8, while eips's is 16x24 .

(f.g., 3 -> 24x24, is still wider that eips).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, yeah, that default scaling definitely looks wonky on 6" 300dpi Kindles (i.e., Oasis 2 excluded), it should probably be 3, to end up w/ roughly 45 columns.

I've been spoiled by the larger screens of the H2O & the Forma, while my PW2 is only 212dpi .
I was somehow under the impression that there'd been a few 7" Kindles along the years, but, nope, everything was 6" until the KOA2. >_<".

If you could provide me with a screenshot and the terminal output from something like
Code:
fbink -Mmp 'Wheeee!'
that'd be helpful .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-01-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #93
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you could provide me with a screenshot and the terminal output from something like
Code:
fbink -Mmp 'Wheeee!'
that'd be helpful .
Sorry it took so long. It just flashed quickly and went away when I used kterm and it seems like I couldn't take screenshots in kterm anyway. I had to figure out how to do it via KUAL (ended up piggybacking on battery-status.sh). Needed to figure out how to redirect stdout/stderr to a log file, too.

This one's on a PW3.

Spoiler:
[FBInk] Clock tick frequency appears to be 100 Hz
[FBInk] Screen density set to 300 dpi
[FBInk] Variable fb info: 1072x1448, 8bpp @ rotation: 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 32x32 (IBM base glyph size: 8x8)
[FBInk] Line length: 33 cols, Page size: 45 rows
[FBInk] Vertical fit isn't perfect, shifting rows down by 4 pixels
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6782976 bytes & line length: 1088 bytes
[FBInk] Pen colors set to #000000 for the foreground and #FFFFFF for the background
Printing string 'Wheeee!' @ column 0 + 0px, row 0 + 0px (overlay: N, no BG: N, no FG: N, inverted: N, flashing: N, centered: Y, halfway: Y, left padded: Y, right padded: N, clear screen: N, skip refresh: N, font: 0, font scaling: x0)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBInkTest.png
Views:	320
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	169437   Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryStatus.png
Views:	277
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	169438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeviceID.png
Views:	274
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	169439  
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #94
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Sorry it took so long. It just flashed quickly and went away when I used kterm and it seems like I couldn't take screenshots in kterm anyway.
Kindle shell command to take a screenshot:
Code:
screenshot
(located in /usr/sbin/screenshot )
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #95
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ilovejedd: Thanks .

Yeah, definitely a step too far . Turned out to be somewhat of a regression, to boot .

It'll be fixed in the next snapshots, thanks .

EDIT: They're out .

(That only leaves the Oasis 2 and Kobo's 6.8" devices with an okay-ish scale factor, it's a tiiiiny bit too large, but the lower step is much too small. But since I was using an H2O with such a screen, I've made my peace with it ).

@j.p.s: I also bundle fbgrab w/ USBNet .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-01-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #96
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ilovejedd: Thanks .

Yeah, definitely a step too far . Turned out to be somewhat of a regression, to boot .

It'll be fixed in the next snapshots, thanks .
Awesome, thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #97
PCplague
PCplague began at the beginning.

Device: used to be Android Now kindle paperwhite3
A big THANK YOU to coplate, knc1, NiLuJe, Branch Delay, and all the other devs.

My PW3 G090 G105 once was JB but was incidentally updated to 5.8.10 (went into boot loop and had to install it and JB didn't survived) so waited for a more recent JB and it worked, KUAL is running, now let's install stuff ...
Will leave it at 5.9.6.1

Big Thanks from Portugal

PCplague
PCplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #98
madame_newbie
Connoisseur
madame_newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 | Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thank you, thank you so much for this thread! I bought a brand new PW3 and it was already on firmware 5.8.11 but using this method I have managed to JB it and now can go on and use all those lovely MRPackages! Thanks so much!
madame_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #99
barom
barom began at the beginning.

Device: PW3W - G090KB
Hi all, thanks for this awesome trick but before I perform it all. I have a few questions that I haven't seen in this thread yet.

About my device:
Kindle Paperwhite 3 WiFi
F/W Version: 5.8.11
Serial (first 6): G090KB

1) I bought this kindle brand new and basically turned it on, picked English (US) and skipped Wi-Fi setup. My question is, how do I know if I have Special Offer? Do I need to register it and just check my screen saver? It seems like I need to register it anyway but kind of don't want to touch my kindle too much until I'm ready to JB.

2) As someone who has never used a Kindle. Do the Kindle's performance ever bog down over time? This happens a lot on Android devices and usually I do a "reset" to improve performance, obviously with the JB, I can't do that anymore. Especially if I want to update to the latest Kindle update.

3) That leads me to my final question, is there any reports of accounts or devices being banned after JB and after an update?

Thanks again for all the lovely work that has been put into this.
barom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #100
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by barom View Post
1) I bought this kindle brand new and basically turned it on, picked English (US) and skipped Wi-Fi setup. My question is, how do I know if I have Special Offer? Do I need to register it and just check my screen saver? It seems like I need to register it anyway but kind of don't want to touch my kindle too much until I'm ready to JB.

2) As someone who has never used a Kindle. Do the Kindle's performance ever bog down over time? This happens a lot on Android devices and usually I do a "reset" to improve performance, obviously with the JB, I can't do that anymore. Especially if I want to update to the latest Kindle update.

3) That leads me to my final question, is there any reports of accounts or devices being banned after JB and after an update?
1) On newer Kindles, it seems SO status isn't set until you register. Is there a particular reason you wish to see SO status prior to JB? I've always just JB first before registering. Then pay the $15-20 to remove SO after.

2) Hmm, probably slower full text search if you have thousands of books? Organization on Kindle kinda sucks so even with Calibre+LibrarianSync to handle collections, I keep less than a thousand books on my PW3. Haven't noticed any slowdowns in title/author search with those many books.

3) None that I've seen so far.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #101
barom

Quote:
1) On newer Kindles, it seems SO status isn't set until you register. Is there a particular reason you wish to see SO status prior to JB? I've always just JB first before registering. Then pay the $15-20 to remove SO after.

2) Hmm, probably slower full text search if you have thousands of books? Organization on Kindle kinda sucks so even with Calibre+LibrarianSync to handle collections, I keep less than a thousand books on my PW3. Haven't noticed any slowdowns in title/author search with those many books.

3) None that I've seen so far.
Oh the instructions here talks about turning off Special Offer so I would need to know whether to turn it off or not. In addition, it also says I need to register it to Amazon first to get access to certain menu items. This is under the "Make Ready" section. Am I wrong?

Thanks for answering my questions btw.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #102
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Oh the instructions here talks about turning off Special Offer so I would need to know whether to turn it off or not. In addition, it also says I need to register it to Amazon first to get access to certain menu items. This is under the "Make Ready" section. Am I wrong?

Thanks for answering my questions btw.
I think that may have been an issue with some of the older firmware. Don't think it's a problem anymore on newer ones.

I've always jailbroken my Kindles straight out of the box to avoid any issues with automatic firmware updates and I've never had issues with the UYK menu item being unavailable or registering afterwards.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #103
barom

Quote:
I think that may have been an issue with some of the older firmware. Don't think it's a problem anymore on newer ones.

I've always jailbroken my Kindles straight out of the box to avoid any issues with automatic firmware updates and I've never had issues with the UYK menu item being unavailable or registering afterwards.
Awesome, thanks! I'll try it!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #104
barom

There's a new K5 Factory Jailbreak from NiLuJe, should I use that one or the one in this thread?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #105
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
There's a new K5 Factory Jailbreak from NiLuJe, should I use that one or the one in this thread?
Use the new one. The link for the first post is probably broken already. Although if the revision number hasn't changed yet, it's probably linking to the exact same file as NiLuJe's snapshots thread.

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak